Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Follower

Quote from: here comes 6 on October 03, 2013, 09:37:25 PM
Is there still a possibility that the fourth bottom team in division 1 this year could be playing in the intermediate championship next year. If third team in division 2 beat the third bottom team in division 1 and add also the intermediate champions this year that would leave 4teams from this years division 2 in senior championship next year. Would there be a group of 5 or what?

Now there is a possibility that no one has mentioned before.  However, looking at it you may well be right!!!  Lets say St Johns (currently 3rd in Div 2) beat Rostrevor (who are currently 3rd bottom in Div 1) in play off - then St Johns go into Div 1 and play in Senior Championship.

The IFC champ final is between Drumgath and Bosco.  Whoever wins that moves up to senior championship also so who drops down.  The two choices are A) St Johns who have just been promoted, or B) the 4th bottom team in Div 1.

However, now that i think about it, i am almost certain that the IFC winners replace the winners of the relegation/promotion playoff which would mean the 4th bottom team are safe.  I am not 100% on this but maybe 80% sure.

Mourne Rover

I posted on the main board after yesterday's draw to suggest Down had been given away games in the preliminary round/quarter final of the USC for nine consecutive seasons. Having checked, it is actually ten consecutive seasons - 2005 to 2014. The odds against that are apparently 1024 to one, so we must be certainties for the Anglo Celt next summer.

umpire

Championship Proposals

The 16 teams in Division One in 2013 would then constitute the teams competing in the Senior Football Championship, in the case of the winners of the Intermediate Championship of 2012 not been one of those teams then they would take the place of the 6th Team promoted from Division 2 in 2012.

In the case of future years if the Intermediate Winners were not one of the teams promoted to Division One then they would by virtue of winning the Intermediate Championship replace the team in the Senior Championship who won the right to either stay in Division One or were promoted from Division two by way of the third place play off.

In summation the Intermediate Championship winners will always be guaranteed the opportunity to play in the following years Senior Football Championship.

This same principle will apply in the case of the winners of the Junior Championship who will always be guaranteed the right to play in the Intermediate Championship

The league position of a Club would determine its Championship status for the year ahead.

The Intermediate Championship of 2013 would then consist of all of the teams in Division Two also taking into account the position of the Junior Championship winners.

The Junior Championship of 2013 would consist of all of those teams in Division Three.

The three Championships would then be structured on a 31 game principle.

The Senior Championship for 2013 would be based on the format as currently used in the Minor Football Championship. There would be Four Pots designated as follows:

Pot One: Teams 1-4 in league placing

Pot Two: Teams 5-8 in league placing

Pot Three Teams 9-12 in league placing

Pot Four Teams 13-16 in league placing or intermediate Championship winners

A draw would take place with the 4 groups been made up of one team from each Pot.

At Quarter Final Stage then the top two teams from each group would meet with the winners of the group in one pot and the runners up in Pot Two, this would then be an open draw.
In the event of there been a tie between two teams in the group stages, final placing will be decided in accordance with Rule 6.22 of the Official Guide.

This same principle would operate for the Intermediate Championship.

All games would be played at neutral venues.

In relation to the Junior Football Championship there would be Three Groups of Four Teams, the top team in each group would reach the semi finals and be joined by the best placed loser.

This would be decided in accordance with the criteria used by Ulster Council in relation to deciding semi finalists for the Dr McKenna Cup.

extra time

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 04, 2013, 03:49:15 PM
I posted on the main board after yesterday's draw to suggest Down had been given away games in the preliminary round/quarter final of the USC for nine consecutive seasons. Having checked, it is actually ten consecutive seasons - 2005 to 2014. The odds against that are apparently 1024 to one, so we must be certainties for the Anglo Celt next summer.
Monaghan 2008 Newry?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 04, 2013, 03:49:15 PM
who did we play at home in 1st round in 2004? memory is bad! I was led to believe we havent had a home draw since antrim 1999. I know we played replays at home against tyrone and cavan but we were originally drew away. cant remember another one, though there probably is.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Extra Time, we did play Monaghan in the first round at Newry, in 2007 not 2008, but that was only after we were drawn away to Cavan in the preliminary round (we won after a replay at the Marshes).

In response to Sheedy, we were drawn at home to Cavan in the first round of 2004 but it was played at Casement Park ( we lost after a replay at Breffni). We have not actually staged our first game of the USC in Newry since Antrim in 1999.

S.Poacher2012

I heard there's a few coaches who hide out on here, this might interest them... cheers...  ;)

Innovative Coaching Clinic not to be missed!   

All GAA coaches and managers are always looking to gain that extra edge on their opponents, searching for that latest training craze or fad, touring the country to seminars, conferences and courses in pursuit of an increase to their coaching knowledge. 

On Saturday November 9th 2013, Steven Poacher, Head of PE in St Columbans Kilkeel will give you that opportunity with the "St Columbans GAA Coaching Clinic." The focus of the clinic will look at tackling and the implications of the black card when coaching the tackle. 

On the day coaches will have the opportunity to observe a practical outdoor session labelled "Tackling for Success" which will include 10 different exclusive tackling drills and games demonstrated by a panel of players. After the practical session coaches will then have an opportunity to avail of the expert opinion of last years Down and Armagh senior football team captains, Mark Poland & Ciaran Mc Keever respectively who will give a unique insight into the implications of the black card which is sure to cause a lot of controversy in its implementation. 

The previous coaching clinics hosted by the school were a huge success and indeed when held this time last year over 80 coaches from every county in the province attended a hugely successful day at the school in Kilkeel. 

The event is open to all coaches of any age level be it school, club or county or any code as the games and drills on show will be easily transferrable to both Camogie and Hurling. The day commences at 10am and will finish at approximately 12.30pm on the Saturday morning 9th November and the cost of the day is £10 which can be made payable on the day and includes, tea/coffee and an information booklet. It's certainly an information packed morning not to be missed and proceeds from the day will go towards the development of GAA within the school. For more information or to confirm a place please either text or mail Steven Poacher on 07779780919 or stevepoacher@hotmail.com

DaisyCutter

McGrath gets the Road from The County Minors after last night CB Meeting.
He is also due for the road out of Bryansford after numerous years of trying for Senior Honours with no success.
I often wonder where he went wrong, as the Ford have some of the best talent in the County...

Leo

Without a home game in 14 years? Ulster Council need to re-assess the money spent on grounds like Park Esler.
Wee Pete? He did the county great service - significant - zzbut all things must pass and I'd like to see him move away with some dignity.
Fierce tame altogether

DownFanatic

Quote from: DaisyCutter on October 04, 2013, 10:44:20 PM
He is also due for the road out of Bryansford after numerous years of trying for Senior Honours with no success.
I often wonder where he went wrong, as the Ford have some of the best talent in the County...

With the right man in charge the Ford are well capable of breaking the Burren-Kilcoo duopoly.

downjim

It's easy to point the blame at wee Pete for Byransford not winning a championship. They look good on paper but they seem to lack the passion and guts of other teams. They are quick to blame others but the players should look hard at themselves . They would be 5th best in the county at my reckoning

Square Ball

Our, Bredagh's, u14s going for a hurling and football double today, hurling championship already in the bag, but a massive game against a talented Burren team awaits today.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

downjim

Who would be in the frame for the minor job?? I hear Poacher is interested and that Benny would hang the boots up if offered it. McCorry would be a great man for the job with a young coach to do the training. Is there anyone is east Down interested???

Faceinthecrowd

Great game of football in the U14 championship final at Castlewellan today. Final score Burren 3-10 Bredagh 3-08. Nothing between the teams and could have gone either way. Well done to all the players for providing entertaining football and for all their hard work on the field.

Line Ball

Quote from: DaisyCutter on October 04, 2013, 10:44:20 PM

Not before time.  He had an amazing team three years ago never mind the last two teams and did nothing with them.  We would have won an All Ireland U.21 title if he had made changes. He is in charge of the Down Development squads which is also a joke.  Bryansford should be contenders but have blown it consistently during his time with them.  His man management skills are pathetic and many of the players in his squads detest him.  Some will say he won us this or won us that, he stayed on as Down manager so long that he set us back ten years.  His arrogance cost us for years. Stevie Wonder could have won us the two All Irelands he managed us to.  It was the exceptional players we had at the time who won it for us, far from the manager. Pete Mc Grath is no big loss to Down football.