The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 03, 2007, 10:35:24 PM
Can't always put it down to the other team being garbage they still had to score the goals,if United done the same tomorrow night after Roma being garbage it be hailed as a great european result..My beef is not with you J70 it's those knobs on RTE

But the United lads on the board are forever whinging about bias against them, from both RTE and BBC!

Gabriel_Hurl

What did the three stooges have to say on RTE tonight?

The Real Laoislad

Was just Giles and Brady tonight the only onw who talked any sense was Trevor Steven who Giles and Brady both disagreed with not surprisingly..
Liverpool won 3-0 yet Giles reckon they should have done more in first 20mins while Stevens thought in the first half of a first leg match you don't go gung ho which i would agree with.FFS they won 3-0 what difference does it make that they didn't drive forward in first 20mins ???

Also Giles was saying Liverpool didn't play well but football is all about the result and not the preformance...Strange then that after the Ireland/Wales match he said it's just as much about the preformance as the result a contradiction or what!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 03, 2007, 10:47:33 PM
Was just Giles and Brady tonight the only onw who talked any sense was Trevor Steven who Giles and Brady both disagreed with not surprisingly..
Liverpool won 3-0 yet Giles reckon they should have done more in first 20mins while Stevens thought in the first half of a first leg match you don't go gung ho which i would agree with.FFS they won 3-0 what difference does it make that they didn't drive forward in first 20mins ???

Also Giles was saying Liverpool didn't play well but football is all about the result and not the preformance...Strange then that after the Ireland/Wales match he said it's just as much about the preformance as the result a contradiction or what!!

Its all about context. After the rubbish against Wales, it was probably very fair to say that Ireland required a decent performance. There weren't too many satisfied with the victories over either Wales or San Marino, were there. If you can't put on a semi-decent show against teams of that calibre, what hope do you have against the likes of the Czechs or Germans?

And Liverpool, while obviously far better than PSV tonight, didn't even get out of second gear, but we know they are well capable of putting on a better show. That does not apply to Ireland under Steve Staunton.

Anyway, I think some of you lads take what the pundits have to say far too seriously and far too personally. They're all there to give an opinion, and given that football isn't a science, they're all going to have different ones. Personally, I think Giles, Brady et al. are superb at what they do. RTE's analysis is streets ahead of everyone else.

el_cuervo_fc

A good result last night, but the opposition weren't up to it.  They didn't really seem to have any fight in them, especially after Gerrard scored.  that fkd their plans up.  Nil nil was their aim. 

Had to laugh at RTE commentary after the match.  Finnan was criticised for not going forward even though he set up 2 goals.  all the talk was about the first 20 mins.  what do they expect defenders to do?

The Real Laoislad

Their a complete joke on RTE it's time for a change.
They have been slaging Ronaldo all year and their abuse has got so bad it would be impossible from them to do a U turn now,so instead they sit there week after week making up new ways to slag him.Now i don't think that Ronaldo is the worlds best player as Ferguson thinks but in fairness to him he's top scorer in Premiership and has won a lot of games on his own this year for the scum
Dunphy is just a complete w**ker..Can you imagine O'Rourke or Brolly coming on the sunday game and saying they hoped Meath/Derry lost so they could prove a point?
Giles has lost it altogether he just sits there every week contradicting what he said the previous week.
When Liverpool won the treble they got no credit,when they won the Champions League they got no credit,after beating Barcelona this year was the worst of all,Slagging them off because they didn't attack Barcelona in the last 20mins of a 2nd leg tie in which Barca needed to score twice,surely defending was the right thing to and play on the counter attack rather than go gung ho and leave gaps at the back,Oh and they never mentioned the three times Liverpool hit the crossbar in the first half or any of the goal line clearence's
You'll Never Walk Alone.

charlie stubbs

j70 what are u talking about rte has the best tv coverage.joke!i just turn over the odd occassion to have a laugh at how ridiculous they are and the amount of crap they talk.your ideal line up for tv coverage would probably be giles,dunphy and ian wright!

charlie stubbs

in response to lpool being "worldbeaters"think that totally unrealistic at this stage.definate=ly need a 20 goal a season man and a left winger during the summer,possibly another central defender coz sami getting on.however,in europe rafas tactical knowledge seems to pull through.clive tyldsley said on itv last night that if there was one team in europe u wouldnt want be one down against its liverpool

Mayo4Sam

Giles and chippy both made excellent points about liverpool being fantastic without the ball, the organisation is fantastic. And they had a point about alonso shirking his responsibilities to get on the ball but talk about bullying stevens, and he was perfectly right, getting ur wing backs forward int he first 20 mins would have been stupid.

So it looks fairly certain its onto chelsea or valencia, tough call as to who you would want. We have the beating of chelsea at the minute but would fear drogba. Valencia are excellent but rafa would know them inside out
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: charlie stubbs on April 04, 2007, 09:28:35 AM
possibly another central defender coz sami getting on.

In fairness Sami is only a reserve at this stage, Carra & Agger are as good a pairing as there is about.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

brokencrossbar1

Excellent result which should make the return leg fairly comfortable.  The performance to my mind was suffiicient but must really be seen in light of a very inept opposition.  Whatever about how they played against Arsenal, they were dreadful last night.  Thety were shaky and disorgainised in defence and had to rely on Gomez to pull them out a few times.  Midfiled lacked invention and Cocu for all his attributes is definitely the feet up stage of his career.  With no out and out striker they were never going to be a threat from open play and were only really going to be dangerous on setplays.  They were negative and were only working on damage limitation as opposed to geeting anything out of the game.

Liverpool approached the game correctly in my view.  Going out they didn't know how PSV would really play. Although Koeman said in the press they were going to play a defensive game, managers generally get into this sort of codology to try to unhinge the preparations of the opposition, therefore Liverpool were right to take it cautious at the start and it is amazing that I am agreeing with a former Everton and Rangers player but he called it right.  Chippy and Giles had points, but they treat us like dummies by trying to force it down our throats.  They must think that the viewers have no capacity to think for themselves and therefore have to provide us with opinions we should agree with.  In any event Chippy os still sore that the Gooners are out and that Liverpool spanked them at the weekend ;D

The thing is though that I am not sure this will beat either Chelsea or Valencia and Rafa needs to get them pushing on a bit more.  With Aurelio likely to be out Arbelo is probably going to come in at left back in his place.  Mascherano will keep his place I hope as he is providing more in the middle than Momo and I think provides a better balance to the team as he holds the middle better.  Although the strikers cannot be faulted for their workrate, at least one of them has to start being more of a poacher.  Crouch took his goal well so maybe he is the man to be in and around the box more.

Anyway, the semis beckon and complaccncy is the biggest threat now.  They have to stamp their authority on the return leg early and I think Bellamy should start it as his pace will terrify the central defenders early on and hopefully nick the early goal which will flatten the tie completely.

Fr Ted

Despite vowing never to watch the match on RTE, i could'nt resist havin a wee look, then i heard Brady backing the pool to go on a win the CL, the same man who said before the Barca game that the pool had'nt a chance :'(

charlie stubbs

dubnut

Quote from: charlie stubbs on April 04, 2007, 12:01:27 PM
CONTRADICTION,A COMMON THEME ON RTE
]

I dont think its contradiction, he didnt fancy them v Barcelona and said so.
But they impressed and possibly changed his mind, surely thats allowed.

At the start of the season I didnt think they would win the CL, now I think they might, thats not contradiction, thats football.

supersarsfields

Well I think BC more or less summed it up alrite. A good result against poor oppsition. But have no doubt winning 4-1 at the wkend and 3-0 last night should have a postitive effect on confidence going into the business end of the season. They should have at least 4th place sewn up at this stage so winning the CL would be a great finish to the season.
Macherano seems to have been a steal. I have no idea why Unite didn't move for him as I think they would have needed someone like him more so than Liverpool.
But he seems to have cemented himself into the team well and he'll give things a bit of an option in midfield.
Pity about Aurelio. I had doubts over him at the start as I though he was too loose in defending but his crosses were quality and he'll be sorely missed in the run in. But at least we'll get a look at this Aurbelo boyo now.
Crouch is playing well which causes a bit of a problem. I had thought that we should sell him of in the summer for £12 m or so. So now that he's popping in these goals,should liverpool sell him or not. Chances are these goals will push his value up even more if he keeps knocking them in at this rate. you could maybe sqeeze £15m out of some dim club like newcastle. Or would he be worth holding on to?