The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo-08

only saw brief highlights but agree with alot of posters here - gerrard's dive was a disgrace. we shouldnt be too surprised though cos it's not the first time he's done this. far too much of it going on and as minder said, some of the top English players seem immune to criticism at times. i suppose at least he admitted that the ref got that decision right.

also agree that skrtel was lucky to stay on the pitch. another good win which means 4th spot is nearly in the bag. Torres's 30th of the season. Fowler's highest total in a season was 36. Says it all really.

Rafa seems totally pi**ed off with the off field stuff between hicks & parry. looking for a meeting with the board asap.

AZOffaly

I agree with the consensus here on Gerrard yesterday. Twice he dived, and the one where he dliberately trailed his leg over Friedel was brutal, and he should be embarrassed when he sees it on TV. It was a poor man's version of Pires v Portsmouth a few years ago. We condemn it when players from other teams do it, so I'm glad we seem to be consistent on this.

As for the rest of the game, poor first half, much better in the second, and the Gerrard/Torres combination motors on. Gerrard took his goal well, nice little wall pass with Lucas, and Torres' header was lovely. I suppose when even Voronout scores you know you're doing alright. Fair play to Riise for passing up a chance for his first of the season.

Mentalman

Skrtel could have walked but it was far out from goal, and not through the centre, with other defenders having the opportunity to get back. Also helped that Roberts made meal of it.

Gerrard deserves to be pulled for his dive. Probably cost Liverpool a good free, or possibly a penalty later, boy who cried wolf and all that.

Game could have been a lot different if Roberts hadn't been pulled for offside, then again perhaps Reina would have saved. I think they need to go back to the old offside rule, as seen with one of the Villa goals the other day, it's becoming completely arbitary at this stage.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

AZOffaly

I think the reason Skrtel wasn't sent off was because Reina had at least a 50-50 chance of getting the ball before Roberts. He started from level with the penalty spot, and if you see from one of the angles, by the time Roberts hit the ground, Reina was booting the ball away. I know he'd have been in full flight if he wasn't fouled, and Skrtel was lucky, but I don't think it was a clear run on goal as such. Reina was an auxilliary sweeper because of the way he was positioned. Other refs would have given him red though, because Carra nor Arbeloa were going to catch Roberts.

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on April 13, 2008, 08:19:18 PM
I thought Jamie Redknapp was a gutless bastard today on Sky Sports coverage, Gerrard blatantly took a dive and tried to con the ref into giving a penalty (he also did it in the second half), he left his leg in and instigated contact with Friedel. Fair fucks to Alan Smith on commentary he called it, but didnt call it a "dive", Ray Wilkins said at HT it was never a penalty but little Jamie said it was. He is too friendly with certain players (Lampard, Terry, Gerrard to name a few) and finds it impossible to give an opinion free from bias, so he shouldnt be there. It sickens my balls that certain big English players like Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard are free from criticism when they take a dive, they are described as "clever" but if Ronaldo, Drogba do it they are hauled over the coals.

No real suprise as Redknapp never had any balls and is too far up the mentioned player's ass to say anything else. You are right about English players, can you imagine the outcry if Ronaldo had made that sort of dive yesterday :-\

gerrykeegan

From memory, Redknapp his misses and Tim sherwood launched a high end magazine only available on subscription for sports stars. He will never criticise the likes of Gerard who he wants seen carring his mag.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Mentalman

He is just a plonker anyway, expecting sense from that  guy is like expecting poetry from a lemon - actually there's a better chance with the lemon.  "Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic"

Minder

He may be a plonker alright and loads of them are but if he cant give an unbiased opinion free from any hidden agenda he shouldnt be there.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 14, 2008, 01:28:54 PM
From memory, Redknapp his misses and Tim sherwood launched a high end magazine only available on subscription for sports stars. He will never criticise the likes of Gerard who he wants seen carring his mag.

http://www.iconmagazine.co.uk/home.html

Mentalman

Quote from: Minder on April 14, 2008, 01:40:14 PM
He may be a plonker alright and loads of them are but if he cant give an unbiased opinion free from any hidden agenda he shouldnt be there.

They never do on Skysports though, not of the major English stars at least. I mean I think it's part of the Skysports disease, not to criticise their product or the stars in it, unless somebody else has lead the charge. I mean when was the last time you saw them cut back to studio, and Andy Gray say "Well that was a steaming pile of shite wasn't it?". Giles et al might not ever use those exact words but they are never slow to tell you the standard of a game is poor. It's not just Sky either, watched MOTD2 on BBC last night, pretty much the same - none of them would come out and say it was a dive, never mind condemn him, apparently "it's an automatic reaction now, to go down". Cringeworthy.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone - 15th April 1989

19 years ago today

John Alfred Anderson (62)
Thomas Howard (39)
Colin Mark Ashcroft (19)
Thomas Anthony Howard (14)
James Gary Aspinall (18)
Eric George Hughes (42)
Kester Roger Marcus Ball (16)
Alan Johnston (29)
Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron (67)
Christine Anne Jones (27)
Simon Bell (17)
Gary Philip Jones (18)
Barry Sidney Bennett (26)
Richard Jones (25)
David John Benson (22)
Nicholas Peter Joynes (27)
David William Birtle (22)
Anthony Peter Kelly (29)
Tony Bland (22)
Michael David Kelly (38)
Paul David Brady (21)
Carl David Lewis (18)
Andrew Mark Brookes (26)
David William Mather (19)
Carl Brown (18) Brian
Christopher Mathews (38)
David Steven Brown (25)
Francis Joseph McAllister (27)
Henry Thomas Burke (47)
John McBrien (18)
Peter Andrew Burkett (24)
Marion Hazel McCabe (21)
Paul William Carlile (19)
Joseph Daniel McCarthy (21)
Raymond Thomas Chapman (50)
Peter McDonnell (21)
Gary Christopher Church (19) Alan McGlone (28)
Joseph Clark (29) Keith McGrath (17)
Paul Clark (18) Paul Brian Murray (14)
Gary Collins (22) Lee Nicol (14)
Stephen Paul Copoc (20)
Stephen Francis O'Neill (17)
Tracey Elizabeth Cox (23)
Jonathon Owens (18)
James Philip Delaney (19)
William Roy Pemberton (23)
Christopher Barry Devonside (18)
Carl William Rimmer (21)
Christopher Edwards (29)
David George Rimmer (38)
Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons (34)
Graham John Roberts (24)
Thomas Steven Fox (21)
Steven Joseph Robinson (17)
Jon-Paul Gilhooley (10)
Henry Charles Rogers (17)
Barry Glover (27)
Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton (23)
Ian Thomas Glover (20)
Inger Shah (38)
Derrick George Godwin (24)
Paula Ann Smith (26)
Roy Harry Hamilton (34)
Adam Edward Spearritt (14)
Philip Hammond (14)
Philip John Steele (15)
Eric Hankin (33)
David Leonard Thomas (23)
Gary Harrison (27)
Patrik John Thompson (35)
Stephen Francis Harrison (31)
Peter Reuben Thompson (30)
Peter Andrew Harrison (15)
Stuart Paul William Thompson (17)
David Hawley (39)
Peter Francis Tootle (21)
James Robert Hennessy (29)
Christopher James Traynor (26)
Paul Anthony Hewitson (26)
Martin Kevin Traynor (16)
Carl Darren Hewitt (17)
Kevin Tyrrell (15)
Nicholas Michael Hewitt (16)
Colin Wafer (19)
Sarah Louise Hicks (19)
Ian David Whelan (19)
Victoria Jane Hicks (15)
Martin Kenneth Wild (29)
Gordon Rodney Horn (20)
Kevin Daniel Williams (15)
Arthur Horrocks (41)
Graham John Wright (17)

Rafael Benitez today sent a message of condolence to the friends and family of the Liverpool fans who lost their lives at Hillsborough nineteen years ago today. 
A memorial service will take place at Anfield this afternoon when supporters can remember each of the 96 who lost their lives on April 15, 1989.

Benitez, his staff and the first team playing squad will all attend the service which will include readings from reserve team boss Gary Ablett and former midfielder Brian Hall.

All supporters are welcome to attend and are advised to be in their seats by 2pm.

"This is obviously an important day of the year for everybody connected with our club," said Benitez.

"We must take time to remember those who lost their lives at Hillsborough and to be with their families and friends today. We must give them our support and show that we are thinking of them.

"It's important we pay our respects and that is why we will all be at the memorial service later today
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ThatManJimmyMagee

while it was an awful tragedy, is there any reason to go off on one every single year? i mean, United fans dont make a big hulla balloo over Munich every year. 10, 20, 25 years yes, but playing it out every year is a bit much.

ThatManJimmyMagee

not really, no. i just think its a bit ridiculous.

but bring on the backlash..... Zzzzzzzz

SammyG

Quote from: ThatManJimmyMagee on April 15, 2008, 04:55:25 PM
while it was an awful tragedy, is there any reason to go off on one every single year? i mean, United fans dont make a big hulla balloo over Munich every year. 10, 20, 25 years yes, but playing it out every year is a bit much.

A small memorial service, is going off on one? Ridiculous comment

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ThatManJimmyMagee on April 15, 2008, 04:55:25 PM

I wouldn't say it's a big hulla baloo. As far as I'm aware they just had a minute's silence the last day vs Blackburn and a memorial service today. Hardly making a big song and dance over it.