The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

The point im making Nrico, and you are well aware of it, is it takes some foreign players time to settle in a different country and English football in particular as the tempo is much higher than Spain/Italy. To reinforce this i quote you ref - Juan Sebastian Veron........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

supersarsfields

From F365

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has been banned for a further two matches and fined £15,000 following his behaviour after being sent off in the game against Manchester United on March 23, the Football Association have confirmed.

Mascherano was banned for one match after being shown two yellow cards by referee Steve Bennett at Old Trafford.

But the Argentinian has been banned for a further two games after he continued to protest after being shown the red card by the official.

Mascherano admitted a charge of improper conduct and has been punished further by the FA, with the additional suspension coming into effect immediately.

full back

Quote from: Minder on April 03, 2008, 12:30:20 PM
The point im making Nrico, and you are well aware of it, is it takes some foreign players time to settle in a different country and English football in particular as the tempo is much higher than Spain/Italy. To reinforce this i quote you ref - Juan Sebastian Veron........

No right thinking Utd fan would even consider Veron to be a success ::)

Goats Do Shave

I'd just like to say, I thought Mascherano had a decent game at last for L'pool.

Esp. in the first half. His tackling was first class, & for once he didn't seem to give possession away.

In the second half he was a little less conservative, having a few runs forward, and of course losing the ball...

If he continues as he did in the firast half last night, he may well prove to be a decent player!

supersarsfields

I was listening to it on the radio coming back up to Belfast from training, and the they were all for giving Masch the MOM. That's why I was surprised to read here how people thought he was poor.
I have to say I have no doubt in my mind that Masch was a great buy. I think he's been brilliant at breaking up play. I don't think there's a better defensive midfield in the PL.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 03, 2008, 01:48:39 PM
I was listening to it on the radio coming back up to Belfast from training, and the they were all for giving Masch the MOM. That's why I was surprised to read here how people thought he was poor.
I have to say I have no doubt in my mind that Masch was a great buy. I think he's been brilliant at breaking up play. I don't think there's a better defensive midfield in the PL.

There's not a midfielder with less strings to his bow though...

Minder

Quote from: full back on April 03, 2008, 01:43:43 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 03, 2008, 12:30:20 PM

No right thinking Utd fan would even consider Veron to be a success ::)

Surely you can see that i am pointing out that some players dont settle, Veron being a prime example.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on April 03, 2008, 01:52:13 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on April 03, 2008, 01:48:39 PM

There's not a midfielder with less strings to his bow though...

I can think of plenty.

Mentalman

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on April 03, 2008, 01:45:41 PM
In the second half he was a little less conservative, having a few runs forward, and of course losing the ball...

But what was the context? He took the ball forward, held onto it when none of his colleagues showed for him, and give his side some respite. I'd say he did it 4 or 5 times late in the game (final 5 minutes), once on the right hand side in the Arsenal third, losing the ball, the second in the middle third out on the right of the centre circle losing it again. The other times he found a colleague. I can understand you're not a fan, personally I think I've mentioned a few times he's not all he's cracked up to be (well at least I thought he would be a good passer), but let's not take the runs out of context - his side was under the cosh and he obviously felt it was better to take some time out of the ball rather than kick it to Clichy or Toure.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 03, 2008, 09:39:29 AM
Torres missing in action again against a top side, anonymous against the likes of United and Arsenal

O RLY??

Dinny Breen

Javier Mascherano v Arsenal
Goals                  0
Shots                 0
Shots on Target   0
Fouls                  0   
Fouls Won           1   
Offside               0   
Assists               0
Accurate Passes   28
Bad Passes         7   
Tackles              8

So apart from some blind runs up the alley where he gave the ball away, above is his sum contribution to the game. Not particluar impressiive stats are they, I'd find it hard to believe how anyone can rate this guy.....

But hey you're not called the delusionists for no reason  :P

#newbridgeornowhere

Mentalman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 03, 2008, 02:31:25 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 03, 2008, 09:39:29 AM
Torres missing in action again against a top side, anonymous against the likes of United and Arsenal

O RLY??

Same as Stevie G went missing again last night against a big side...at least that's the story Kolo will be trying to sell to Arsene today.

Mentalman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 03, 2008, 02:49:05 PM
Javier Mascherano v Arsenal
Goals                  0
Shots                 0
Shots on Target   0
Fouls                  0   
Fouls Won           1   
Offside               0   
Assists               0
Accurate Passes   28
Bad Passes         7   
Tackles              8

So apart from some blind runs up the alley where he gave the ball away, above is his sum contribution to the game. Not particluar impressiive stats are they, I'd find it hard to believe how anyone can rate this guy.....

But hey you're not called the delusionists for no reason  :P

Like I said Alonso ran further than the other Liverpool midfielders, but he was anonymous last night.

While Solomon Kolou is apparently one of the best creative players in the premiership, second highest assists or something like that.

What's that saying : lies, damned lies and statistics? It's all in the analysis :)

Where'd you get stats BTW Dinny? I'm looking for a good source of such things.

GalwayBayBoy

Mascherano did well last night. He has actually improved a lot with his passing as the season went on. I think he is still coming to terms with the speed of play in the premier league where you just don't have time to dwell on the ball and have to get rid of it quicker and certainly there is nobody in England who plays that defensive midfield role as well now that Makelele is past his best. You only have to look at his shackling of Kaka last year. He plays in an unglamourous role though that is generally unappreciated.

I would be more worried about Alonso who hasn't really performed during the last two seasons at all. Seems like a lad who is pining for a return home.

As for last night's game I thought Liverpool did pretty well in the first half. Arsenal looked very shaky for the 10 to 15 minutes after we equalised but to be fair to them they got their heads together after that. Second half was all Arsenal really but apart from the Bendtner block on the line they rarely got in behind Liverpool. The Hleb incident was probably a penalty alright even though Hleb went down very easily after the merest touch on the arm from Kuyt. Still they are often given especially if you're playing at home. I was certainly expecting the ref to blow it.

All to play for in the 2nd leg anyway. The league match at the weekend will be interesting as Mascherano is now suspended for it and I expect Gerrard and Torres won't play in it and maybe a couple of others. Might even see Crouch up front for it. I think we'll just about get through next week although it's far from a sure thing. Anfield will be hopping and the crowd will bring the players along with them as they so often do. It will make a change from the new library anyway. ;)

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhere'd you get stats BTW Dinny? I'm looking for a good source of such things.

Eurosport would you believe

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/champions-league/2007-2008/arsenal-liverpool-229682.html
#newbridgeornowhere