The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: J70 on January 21, 2008, 09:57:32 PM
I don't think the Americans can be blamed for that. Liverpool dominated the game, but fell asleep at two free-kicks. Sooner or later the players and management have to take a bit of responsibility for something.

Definetley, the Yanks didnt make Kewell, Kuyt etc shite players. The unrest at the minute will be used as a smokescreen, you will be waiting a while for a premiership footballer to take responsibility.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Silky

Can't defend. Thats not the owners fault. We're f*cked.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Silky on January 21, 2008, 10:04:16 PM

The problem with Liverpool is inflated expectations from the start of the season! - Happens every year! - Quite similar to Newcastle (though granted - you lot have been spoiled in the past!  :-[ )

Every year all my Liverpool supporting buds inform me Liverpool will win the league this year! - Lads its a long way off still!  ;)

Minder

Quote from: Minder on January 21, 2008, 10:03:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 21, 2008, 09:57:32 PM
I don't think the Americans can be blamed for that. Liverpool dominated the game, but fell asleep at two free-kicks. Sooner or later the players and management have to take a bit of responsibility for something.

Definetley, the Yanks didnt make Kewell, Kuyt etc shite players. The unrest at the minute will be used as a smokescreen, you will be waiting a while for a premiership footballer to take responsibility.

Gerrard hits out at unstable Reds 

Gerrard has grown tired of the constant speculation at Liverpool
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard says speculation over the club's ownership and the future of manager Rafa Benitez is affecting the players on the pitch.
Liverpool lie fifth in the Premier League after a 2-2 draw at home to Aston Villa and are 14 points adrift of Manchester United and Arsenal.

Gerrard said: "It's not just this week, it's been going on for some time and it's certainly not helping the players.

"I've got to be careful what I say, but it's certainly not helping the team."

Liverpool have come under intense media scrutiny in recent weeks after prolonged speculation over Benitez's future and the management direction of American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

You try to put what's going on off the pitch to the back of your mind

Last week, Hicks revealed he had spoken to Jurgen Klinsmann in November about the possibility of taking over from Benitez, before the German agreed to become Bayern Munich's new coach at the start of next season.

The revelation followed a very public spat between Benitez and the Americans over the Spaniard's transfer policy.

BBC Sport understands Dubai Investment Capital is preparing a bid to buy the club from the American duo, who took charge less than a year ago.

Supporters at Anfield on Monday chanted and held up banners in support of Benitez, while also asking for Hicks and Gillett to sell the club to DIC.

Gerrard added: "We know what's going on, but as players you've got a job to do on the pitch and you try to put what's going on off the pitch to the back of your mind.

"But sometimes it's impossible, when it is every day."

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Silky

AZOffaly

It looks like it's fairy obvious that the players want to ratchet up the pressure on the owners. If the players start using the boardroom shennanigans as an easy opt out excuse, the fans will continue to go ballistic at the Americans. I'd say LFC/Gillette and Hicks would take DIC's hands off now if they made a decent offer

mouview

Gerard would be best advised at concentrating on addressing his own deficiencies, of which there are a few. Particularly bad again last night I thought, wayward passing and shooting being his main contributions. Bad and all as Benyaououn was, at least he can hold the ball and is a bit more creative. Can't see Liverpool winning the Premiership until Gerard is sold, I gotta say.

Silky

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 22, 2008, 09:36:39 AM
It looks like it's fairy obvious that the players want to ratchet up the pressure on the owners. If the players start using the boardroom shennanigans as an easy opt out excuse, the fans will continue to go ballistic at the Americans. I'd say LFC/Gillette and Hicks would take DIC's hands off now if they made a decent offer

I'm sorry but what colour is the sky in your world?

The yanks are businessmen and don't give two flying fucks about the fans and their protest. They will sell Liverpool when the money is right and they have made a handsome profit and not before it. Unfortuantly with the stock markets falling their investment is worth considerably less than it was last week so they'll hang around for a couple of years until the markets improve.

They are business men and don't think in terms of football seasons the way we do. All they want is a profit and DIC won't be able to give them it this year.

They probably don't even know that a couple of thousand fans protested last night.

EC Unique

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 22, 2008, 08:18:39 AM
Quote from: Silky on January 21, 2008, 10:04:16 PM

The problem with Liverpool is inflated expectations from the start of the season! - Happens every year! - Quite similar to Newcastle (though granted - you lot have been spoiled in the past!  :-[ )

Every year all my Liverpool supporting buds inform me Liverpool will win the league this year! - Lads its a long way off still!  ;)

Spot on. Reminds me of England fans spouting on every time the world cup comes around about how they are going to win it. ::)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Silky on January 22, 2008, 09:42:21 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 22, 2008, 09:36:39 AM

I'm sorry but what colour is the sky in your world?

The yanks are businessmen and don't give two flying fucks about the fans and their protest. They will sell Liverpool when the money is right and they have made a handsome profit and not before it. Unfortuantly with the stock markets falling their investment is worth considerably less than it was last week so they'll hang around for a couple of years until the markets improve.

They are business men and don't think in terms of football seasons the way we do. All they want is a profit and DIC won't be able to give them it this year.

They probably don't even know that a couple of thousand fans protested last night.

What colour is the sky on your world? If they sold it today, they'd make 85 million profit. They haven't put a cent in themselves, it's all been a loan so far. That loan will need to start to be paid off in about a month. They board are rejecting the Glazer option of saddling the club with the owner's debt, ergo they will have to borrow privately, or else spend their own cash. If DIC gives them an out, and the team, manager and fans continue to protest, why would they stay?

I agree that if there was no viable option, they wouldn't bother their ar*e, but there seems to be a viable alternative that will give them a decent return.

Silky

If they sold it last week they would have made a profit. Do you ever listen to the news? They'll make nothing near £85m today. Things have changed. 

To quote Harold McMillan - "Events, dear boy events"!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7201658.stm

Doogie Browser

From a Villa point of view I was dissapointed that we could not hold on for the final few minutes, but all things considered a point at Anfield is a good result.  Thought Liverpool struggled at the back all night with the physical threat of Carew and when Harewood came on this was highlighted even more.
When I seen the teams last night I knew we had a chance of getting a result, players like Kuyt, Kewel and Benayoun (granted he scored) do not frighten me and frankly they would not get a game for Villa. Think that is what distinguishes Liverpool from the rest of the so called 'top four' they have too many average players.  Crouch would be a starter every game for me.

there is a real battle for fourth this year and for the first time in several years we have something to play for after Christmas.

Silky

Our American friends will be watching the NY stock exchange nervously. It's due to reopen later today after the Martin Luther King holiday.

They could find themselves in serious difficulties if the market continues to fall and there won't be many lining up to buy at a price they can afford to sell at.

Declan

Watched the game with a mad Scouser last night and he was ready to f**k everything at the TV. Totally frustrated by Rafa and his selection policy. Even the fact that he brought on a centre half when Villa equalised. Despite what people are saying about Kuyt - he made the goal last night,  but Benayoun wouldn't get his game on my kids team. So one footed it's unreal and so easy to read what he's going to do. How can anybody have Kewell on a team? Crouch must be wondering what he has to do and as far Stevie G - completely overrated - he was rubbish last night and when I saw them live against City over Christmas I paid particular attention to his movement and contribution - as the game went on and Liverpool needed him to influence the game he hid.

Notwithstanding the owners etc - Rafa isn't up to it and they have only 1 world class player - Torres - and he was poor last night.   

PS - Villa are pretty poor as well - No attempt to play constructive football at all - Reina didn't have a save to make until he picked the ball out of the net and it just shows how impoverished the premier league is when they are challenging for 4th.

Rossie11

Torres is used to the Xmas break in Spain and to me it looks like he is tired at the moment.
Gerard was hopeless last night. Didnt try a leg.
Kuyt Benayoun and Kewell have been given enough chances this season to prove themselves.
It hasnt happened so they should be put out to grass asap.

Rafa and the yanks have to go. They havent a clue and his team selection and tactics are dragging the club down the table.
He is a likeable guy but we are going nowhere fast

In my book we should now be outsiders in the race for 4th.