Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: The Bearded One on October 17, 2019, 10:46:58 AM
Interesting that quotes from Mickey Harte about the new S&C appointment say that essentially he is answerable to the medical team...which is headed up by.......Michael Harte.

I think that is true of every S+C coach if we are being honest. S+C is essentially injury prevention.

The Bearded One

Yes you are right, I take that point.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Pearse Blue

No matter who we have, stupid letting Donnelly go to Monaghan

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 17, 2019, 11:11:43 AM

Nobody let him do anything. He left Tyrone to go to Ulster Rugby. No issues - great opportunity. Donnelly has then decided he would go and help a rival county on top of his 'day' role. Discussed it all along with Banty who was in for Monaghan job for weeks prior.

Lets stop this thinking that Donnelly was hard done by, he's a big boy, he decided to go to Monaghan through the back door. He's a mercenary and always has been.

southtyronegael

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 17, 2019, 11:29:19 AM

Nobody let him do anything. He left Tyrone to go to Ulster Rugby. No issues - great opportunity. Donnelly has then decided he would go and help a rival county on top of his 'day' role. Discussed it all along with Banty who was in for Monaghan job for weeks prior.

Lets stop this thinking that Donnelly was hard done by, he's a big boy, he decided to go to Monaghan through the back door. He's a mercenary and always has been.
Donnelly wanted to keep the Tyrone senior job but was refused by harte and county board. How is he a mercenary? That's his career not a job on the side.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 17, 2019, 12:22:39 PM

Donnelly wanted to keep the Tyrone senior job but was refused by harte and county board. How is he a mercenary? That's his career not a job on the side.

That's a guess. We don't know what exactly was offered / said. You can only go on what we know. He went to Ulster to some fanfare and sadness. Did Tyrone make him an offer to stay? I'm sure they did, Harte himself said it was a massive opportunity in professional sports which it is and good luck to him.

Then signs up with Monaghan a week later.

It stinks to me, so I wouldn't be painting Donnelly as someone who's got a raw deal or was forced out here. At the end of the day Monaghan are a serious team and a threat to Tyrone. He knew exactly what he was doing when he signed up.

lenny

He's a mercenary because he wants to get a mortgage? I heard from a good source that he had been turned down several times for a mortgage because of the nature of the way tyrone employed him ie he had a contract renewed each year. With Ulster rugby he has security in his employment. If you call that being a mercenary then you're an idiot.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: lenny on October 17, 2019, 02:18:29 PM

He's a mercenary because he wants to get a mortgage? I heard from a good source that he had been turned down several times for a mortgage because of the nature of the way tyrone employed him ie he had a contract renewed each year. With Ulster rugby he has security in his employment. If you call that being a mercenary then you're an idiot.

Can't really say any other way than the two times that I did that going to Ulster Rugby is/was no issue. I don't think anyone has an issue with that. Ulster Rugby has absolutely no bearing on what we are discussing here.

What I'm saying is, he's not working for Monaghan for free.....he also didn't take too long in accepting the post with Monaghan. Hiring your service out for money is the definition of a mercenary so I don't think we should be trying in some way to paint Donnelly as a poor soul on the breadline. He had no bother moving on, neither should Tyrone. I think people are trying to use this as some sort of stick to beat TCB with....I don't see it that way at all.

southtyronegael

Hiring out your service for money is called a job you idiot.

Angelo

Donnelly is the latest angle for the Harte haters to use. Rationale and logic go out to window when they try and pedal their agenda.

Interesting to see a Derry mam venturing in here to give his quids worth.

Tyrone want a full time S&C person in the role, Donnelly vacated it to chase a more lucrative job - no issue with as he needs to make a living. I don't think it would have worked with him staying on as part or the senior management team as his presence there would probably undermine our new S&C guy.

Donnelly then decides to take up a time with Monaghan, again that is his choice.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

southtyronegael

If Donnelly had been allowed stay on then we wouldn't have needed a new s/c coach would we?

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 17, 2019, 04:46:18 PM
If Donnelly had been allowed stay on then we wouldn't have needed a new s/c coach would we?

He chose to leave. He has been a full time S&C trainer with Tyrone, he vacated the role through his own volition and has been replaced.

You do your own agenda no good when you make completely baseless and irrational complaints like this to vilify Harte. If you stuck to genuine grievances then you might have some credibility.

delgany

There is only short term security in professional sports in terms of managers and coaches. At some stage , the management team is sacked and new people take over.Thats why they get paid so well.
GAA is going the same way. New manager leads to new backroom members. You have to make your mark and charge accordingly. Even in club football the gravy train keeps moving on.
What would the career span be for coaches /s &c coaches ? 10 - 15 years ?

LeoMc

Quote from: The Bearded One on October 17, 2019, 10:46:58 AM
Interesting that quotes from Mickey Harte about the new S&C appointment say that essentially he is answerable to the medical team...which is headed up by.......Michael Harte.
Is the medical team not headed up by Damian ODonnell, the doctor?

Angelo

Quote from: delgany on October 17, 2019, 06:57:54 PM
There is only short term security in professional sports in terms of managers and coaches. At some stage , the management team is sacked and new people take over.Thats why they get paid so well.
GAA is going the same way. New manager leads to new backroom members. You have to make your mark and charge accordingly. Even in club football the gravy train keeps moving on.
What would the career span be for coaches /s &c coaches ? 10 - 15 years ?

Donnelly's role was secure enough, he was a full time registered employee of Tyrone GAA with a remit covering all the S&C needs of Tyrone underage squads up to senior. He's very highly rated which probably explains why a professional setup came and headhunted him for their gig. I don't know how many other counties employ somebody like Donnelly, Dublin probably do and a few others but I think Tyrone were ahead of the curve. In terms of fitness, conditioning and our injury record record then I think the results speak extremely positively for Donnelly but the package on offer from a professional outlet is likely one we can't come close to offering.