Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Has a referee ever ordered a penalty to be retaken for a goalkeeper advancing off his line?

blanketattack

If a player attempts a fist pass to his goalie but it goes over his head straight into the net, is it a 45 or a goal?

larryin89

Slightly off topic but still in line with the theme.

Cormac Reiley had an absolute stinker in semi final replay in a lot of peoples opinion. The usually outspoken godfather of  officialdom mr Pat ' i robbed mayo in 96' McNeaney has not commented on the performance . Is there a reason for this , is he obliged to comment on such a controversial performance ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 09, 2014, 04:37:31 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 09, 2014, 04:07:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 09, 2014, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: westbound on September 09, 2014, 02:36:30 PM
Outside the 21 (and 13metres from the ball). But the ball must travel a distance of 13metres before it can be gathered by another player (on the defending team).

Where lots of people get confused is when the ball goes diagonally towards the sideline and travels more than 13metres, a player IS allowed to come inside the 21 to collect the ball provided he was outside the 21 when it was kicked.

I think i remember reading on here before that technically, by the letter of the law the goalkeeper could kick the ball to himself (and in theory dribble the length of the field) as long as he didn't pick it up!

Correct
Its just that ive seen players standing on the 21 directly in front of the keeper with their arms in the air and referees letting that go (even though they would only be 8m from the ball) whereas some referees insist on all players being outside the 'D' as well.

I know its slightly different, but I was once told by an intercouty referee (hurling) when I questioned him on why he gave a free against one of our lads for blocking a sideline cut was that he wasn't the required distance away from the ball. I pointed out he was standing directly beside his marker and he responded that if he'd have blocked it instead it would have been our free...
Not sure if he was using poetic license or not..

Both players need to be back the required distance,  the player who's not back the proper distance and 'fouls' the ball will be penalised against. Has been in a while in fairness, it used to be a hop ball back in the day? Anyways I make sure the feckers are right back and warn them accordingly. The amount of times I've heard he's too close ref!!! Feck off stop annoying me lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Quote from: blanketattack on September 10, 2014, 02:48:15 PM
If a player attempts a fist pass to his goalie but it goes over his head straight into the net, is it a 45 or a goal?

3.4 If a defending player plays the ball through his
own scoring space in any manner, this shall
count as a score.

Hope you're not a Ref blanket  :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on September 10, 2014, 02:57:24 PM
Slightly off topic but still in line with the theme.

Cormac Reiley had an absolute stinker in semi final replay in a lot of peoples opinion. The usually outspoken godfather of  officialdom mr Pat ' i robbed mayo in 96' McNeaney has not commented on the performance . Is there a reason for this , is he obliged to comment on such a controversial performance ?

Silence is golden. It's all about getting past the week after. Dublin losing to Donegal helped defer attention. The pitch intruder also deferred attention. Pat will keep his gob shut. Sure he can't say he had a stinker? Can he? The dogs on the street know we were shafted! Reilly had his agenda (what ever it was) and he seen it through. Kerry seen an opening and they like any grateful receiver said thank you very much. We'd have done the same given half a chance. Churning out the same lines about the Ref being grand, we had more hunger and We played better!

blanketattack

Quote from: Rossfan on September 10, 2014, 05:41:09 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on September 10, 2014, 02:48:15 PM

3.4 If a defending player plays the ball through his
own scoring space in any manner, this shall
count as a score.

Hope you're not a Ref blanket  :o

No, for some reason I thought it was like a throw-in in soccer where if it goes into your own net it's a corner.

blewuporstuffed

Can anyone clarify the advantage rule?
Last week we had a very dubious application of the advantage rule (and it benefited us)
A long ball was played into one of our forwards, who was quite clearly being fouled, but the ball broke to our corner forward who was through one on one with the keeper, the ref quite rightly put his arm in the air for an advantage, our player took a shot at goal and the keeper got down and made a great save.The referee then brought play back for the original foul.
Surely this isnt the way the advantage rule was intended to be applied  ???
I would have thought as soon as the ball fell to our other forward in an advantageous position, that was the end of the advantage, regardless of whether he scored or not?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

westbound

Advantage Rule:
When a foul is committed the referee may allow the play to continue if he considers it to be to the advantage of the offended team. He shall signal that advantage by raising an arm upright. If he deems no advantage to have occurred, he may subsequently award a free for that foul from where it occurred*. The referee shall allow the advantage to run by maintaining his arm in the upright position for up to five seconds after the initial foul or for less time if it becomes clear that no advantage has accrued. He shall apply any relevant disciplinary action."

It's at the referee's discretion as to what he considers an advantage to be.

For me, if a foul is committed which is in a scoreable position then if the attacking team doesn't score within the 5 seconds (regardless of whether they have had a shot at goal or not) then the play should be called back for the free.
IMO, a scoreable free is more advantageous than a shot being saved by the goalkeeper. So therefore I would say the referee was correct in the example given by blewuporstuffed.

Hardy

It's interesting that the wording is such that the referee may end the advantage period inside the five seconds if an advantage has not occurred, but may not end it within the five seconds if an advantage has occurred.

So the referee must wait for five seconds to deem that an advantage has accrued but can deem that an advantage has not accrued in, say, 2 seconds.

That seems to mean that he can't consider it an advantage if, for instance, the team of the fouled player gets possession from the foul and end the advantage period. He must wait five seconds. In theory, the attacking team could have two shots back off the post and a great save from the keeper in that time and still get a free. 

It also means that if there's a subsequent foul within the five seconds, he can't start a new advantage, but must stop  for the original foul.

haranguerer

There would need to be certainty of consistency between refs, but it had occurred to me that in an attackng position where a ref has signalled advantage, you should shoot for goal, no matter the angle, distance, etc, as the point would be secure from the free if you miss anyway. Refs dont like anyone being too smart though, so no doubt you'd lose your free no matter the precedents.

Down Follower

Quote from: haranguerer on September 11, 2014, 10:32:49 AM
There would need to be certainty of consistency between refs, but it had occurred to me that in an attackng position where a ref has signalled advantage, you should shoot for goal, no matter the angle, distance, etc, as the point would be secure from the free if you miss anyway. Refs dont like anyone being too smart though, so no doubt you'd lose your free no matter the precedents.

I laughed at that one and can imagine a cocky wee corner forward with the coloured boots on trying a ridiculous shot over his shoulder with the weak foot thinking in his head - well I am guaranteed a free anyway!! Ref thinks knows rightly what he is at and plays on coz he was being too smart  ;)

westbound

Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2014, 10:24:43 AM
It's interesting that the wording is such that the referee may end the advantage period inside the five seconds if an advantage has not occurred, but may not end it within the five seconds if an advantage has occurred.

So the referee must wait for five seconds to deem that an advantage has accrued but can deem that an advantage has not accrued in, say, 2 seconds.

That seems to mean that he can't consider it an advantage if, for instance, the team of the fouled player gets possession from the foul and end the advantage period. He must wait five seconds. In theory, the attacking team could have two shots back off the post and a great save from the keeper in that time and still get a free. 

It also means that if there's a subsequent foul within the five seconds, he can't start a new advantage, but must stop  for the original foul.

Hardy, I would agree with all you have said except the very last part. If there is a subsequent foul in a better position the ref shouldn't stop play for the original foul.  A free from the position of the latter foul is the advantage accrued.

I would also argue that the ref could give a new advantage and start another 5 seconds but we might need Pat McEnaney to clarify for us!!!  ;)

johnneycool

Quote from: haranguerer on September 11, 2014, 10:32:49 AM

In all likelihood the ref is going to be behind you, so seeing an advantage signal could be difficult unless the refs now shout out that they're playing an advantage ala the rugby lads.

passedit

Not sure the ref I saw on friday night is totally au fait with the advantage rule.

Defender pursuing attacker when a second attacker body checked the defender leaving the first attacker with a clear run on goal which he took full advantage of. Referee awarded the goal then jogged back up the pitch and black carded the body checker. Still trying to get my head round that one.

Also in a recent game same team awarded two fourteen yard frees for a push and a drag back in the large square. The referee's logic for these was that neither foul was 'Aggressive'.  :o
Don't Panic