Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

You maybe know this but if the kids are holding the handle open the door wont unlock when you hit the button. Frustrates the life out of me with my ones.

lurganblue

Quote from: trailer on August 31, 2018, 11:17:38 AM
You maybe know this but if the kids are holding the handle open the door wont unlock when you hit the button. Frustrates the life out of me with my ones.

Nah i cant blame the kids for this one unfortunately  ;D

tintin25

Anyone recommend a good garage in the Lisburn area?  MOT coming up at end of the month.

laoislad

Quote from: lurganblue on August 31, 2018, 11:27:41 AM

Sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. First place I would look is where the cables go from the car to the door. There will be a bit of flexible plastic tubing on the hinge side of the door that has cables in it. If you can try and pull that tubing back a bit and see are all the cables ok. I had a similar problem on an A4 a few years ago and one of the cables was broken right at that point.
There's also cables underneath the passenger seat and these can also break at the connector and is a known problem on the A4
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lurganblue

Quote from: laoislad on September 03, 2018, 09:15:47 AM

Sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. First place I would look is where the cables go from the car to the door. There will be a bit of flexible plastic tubing on the hinge side of the door that has cables in it. If you can try and pull that tubing back a bit and see are all the cables ok. I had a similar problem on an A4 a few years ago and one of the cables was broken right at that point.
There's also cables underneath the passenger seat and these can also break at the connector and is a known problem on the A4

Chears Laoislad. I will have a look when i get home today. Incidentally i noticed over the weekend that if i unlock the car using the botton on the inside driver doors handle and then walk round to the passenger door it opens no problem.

When you had the faulty wiring were you able to fix it yourself?

laoislad

Quote from: lurganblue on September 03, 2018, 09:40:02 AM

Chears Laoislad. I will have a look when i get home today. Incidentally i noticed over the weekend that if i unlock the car using the botton on the inside driver doors handle and then walk round to the passenger door it opens no problem.

I was but then again I am an Electrician!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Saffronista

Quote from: lurganblue on August 31, 2018, 09:39:18 AM
Ongoing issue with my car (A4) at the minute.  When I open the doors with the central locking key button, about 50% of the time one of the passenger doors seems to remain locked.  I can open it from the inside and it will then continue to work properly (ie i can open it from the outside again). All the other doors open as normal and are not affected.

The other 50% of the time i hit the button and it works no problem.

Any advice? Is it an easy fix? It's a bit frustrating as the kids would regularly use both doors.

This sounds like a regular VW /Audi problem. I have had to change multiple locks on my 04 Passat over the last few years. Mainly on the doors which dont get opened as much. A good mechanic will get the lock changed no problem

lurganblue

Quote from: laoislad on September 03, 2018, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on September 03, 2018, 09:40:02 AM

I was but then again I am an Electrician!!

Yeah, i will def be useless then! Thanks for the advice folks.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: tintin25 on September 03, 2018, 08:56:38 AM
Anyone recommend a good garage in the Lisburn area?  MOT coming up at end of the month.

Not quite Lisburn, but I have been using Red Brae since I went across Belfast to the Carryduff direction.....it's out near Rockmount Golf Club, if that's anywhere handy for you.

omaghjoe

Anyone issues with Swirl Flaps?
Make a hell of racket from the inlet manifold

In the middle of a project to remove them at the minute.

Mine is on a US Ford vehicle but the same engine is used in Mazdas and Fords in Europe. Apparently on BMWs the have fallen off and into the piston

MoChara

My car's up for MOT, does anyone know if the fact the worn brake pad warning is on the dash will fail it despite the brakes being grand? Pads and all are grand it's a false positive

Itchy

Quote from: MoChara on September 13, 2018, 04:49:19 PM
My car's up for MOT, does anyone know if the fact the worn brake pad warning is on the dash will fail it despite the brakes being grand? Pads and all are grand it's a false positive

Fails nct down south

delgany

It would have to pass the brakes / handbrake  test  first.

Only certain orange warning lights  count. Like engine management system

MoChara

See that's what I thought but I know they'd changes MOT to be stricter so wasn't sure

Mhic Easmuint

Problem with 07 A4.
Spluttering noise coming from engine area and loss of power.
Engine light on in dashboard.
On looking the pipe at the side of the engine it is loose/detached.
Pic below. Is this a big job?