Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

I'd have to agree with Stonewalls predictions for the q-finals in Senior and Intermediate.
Hard to say who'll come through from q-finals on though.
Happy enough with Ballintubber draw, should come out of that group.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

westmayo

In the senior I'd say it's nearly a given that the top two in A and B will come out, with Cross comming out in C. It's a tough call to see who'll be the second team out of that group.  I have a sneaking feeling that Burrishoole may be dogged enough to pick up the two wins they need.  Knockmore should top group D, with Kiltaine following them. The other three west mayo sides in that group should have right ding dong battle to avoid the bottom spot in the group.

StoneWall

One thing I'd have to question about the championships format is that only one team is relegated from senior and intermediate. This makes it very difficult for an intermediate or junior team to be promoted. While there might be a case for this, it stagnates the championships in that there is only a turnover of one team each year. Also a single win will almost guarantee most teams stay in senior or intermediate.

Previous to this there was a chance that up to four (3 via league and championship winners) new teams could gain senior or intermediate status in a season. Now the championships have become virtual closed shops.

Also in intermediate the semi finalists from the previous year are seeded (which I agree is justified as a reward for the efforts of the previous year) but the team relegated from senior is also seeded which I think is very unfair as it again loads it in favour of teams that are already in senior.

westmayo

It is becoming a closed shop, which is unfortunate for sides trying to make the breakthrough to senior and intermidate ranks. That is a bit of a downer. Maybe they should have the bottom sides from each group dropping down with all semi-finalists moving up.
I'm a fan of the group stages because of the number of games sides get, and the fact that you don't go out of the championship if you loose once as was they way up to a few years ago. 
I think that all the seeded sides are guarnteed two home games each, with one side in each group only getting one home game

StoneWall

Having all the semi-finalists moving up is probably taking it too far but I think that there should be 2 up 2 down in both senior and intermediate. This would give intermediate and junior teams much more to play for. It would also make things more competitive in the group stages with the bottom team having only one game to survive, where as now they have 2.

Also I think winners of the groups should be seeded (maybe this is that case?) in the quarter finals so that they avoid the other group winners. Also give them home advantage in the quarter finals.

Also it would seem logical to even up the number in the senior groups from a fixtures point of view...

Senior 4 X 4
Top 2 teams in group to quarter finals. Bottom team in group to relegation playoff, 2 from 4 going down.

Intermediate 4 x 4
Top 2 teams in group to quarter finals. Bottom team in group to relegation playoff, 2 from 4 going down. Finalists going up.

Junior 3 X 8 and 7 X 1
Top 2 teams in group to quarter finals. Finalists going up.

30 teams in junior seems far too many, maybe they should look at creating a county Junior B championship.

Junior A
4 X 4 based on quarter finals this year and team relegated from intermediate. Top 2 teams in group to quarter finals. Bottom team in group to relegation playoff, 1 from 4 going to junior B. Finalists going up.

Junior B
Remaining junior teams, winner going to junior A.

Any thoughts?

Farrandeelin

I think there should be two relegated from senior and only one promoted, just for this year to solve tha extra game problem. The following years should see the restoration of two up and two down. Especially where the senior and intermediate is concerned. I'd expect similar for the junior and intermediate.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

You might need to rename those groups WestMayo.
;D  :D

Farrandeelin

Any word on the fixtures for the league? It's due to start in about 10 days time so they should be out by now you'd imagine...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MacDanger

Breaking News

Mayo County Board announced this evening that in a Big Brother-esque twist to this years League, all clubs will be required to guess whether they are playing at home or away for each round. Teams who guess correctly will be awarded an immunity idol and teams who guess incorrectly will be deducted an immunity idol. Thus it will be possible for both teams to win or lose each round.

When questioned about this innovative new policy a spokesperson for the County Board had the following to say " We feel that the league as it stands is boring, nothing but games of football in the wet and muck. With this new format, we expect to attract large attendances, especially amongst the younger sectors of the community. The lack of actual football will enable players to avoid getting injuries so everybody wins."

The two teams with the least amount of immunity idols at the end of the season will go into a "Cauldron of Death" play-off involving an obstacle course which will have to be completed by the County Board representative from each club with the loser being relegated. The top four teams will be entered into a similar play-off with the ultimate winner being crowned champions.

Our source however also indicated that there may be room for a Grand Final Super Playoff between the relegated team and the Champions which would give the relagated side a chance to be crowned champions and could see the champions being relegated. Our source also hinted that there may be other twists to come in this final play-off but declined to reveal the details......

When questioned if this format would apply to the hurling league, the spokesperson refused to comment.

highking

Heard a rumour that Belmullet might be playing on the Monday of Paddys week. However, they dont know wheather its their Division 1 team or their Division 3 team - or wheather the game is at home or away. As for the other 56 fixtures that weekend, we are keeping our ears to the ground.

More breaking stories from the Mayo GAA PR room to follow.........

highking

In relation to the Junior Championship, I think their should be an exclusive junior championship for all 16 first teams, and also a Junior B Championship for all the B sides (and Cross C). The winners of the exclusive Junior Championship then play the winners of the junior B in the Junior County Final for promotion to intermediate. The winners of the exclusive cup will represent the county in the Connacht Junior Club Championship, as B teams are not allowed compete.

Reasons for this include:

Demoralisation felt to Ballycroy players when Cross C beat them at home.
Easier to administrate.
Exclusive Junior Title gets a feel of championship (not playing B teams)
B sides play against similar sized clubs (First team prob in Div1)

muscles magoo

Quote from: MacDanger on March 08, 2007, 11:55:20 PM
Breaking News

Mayo County Board announced this evening that in a Big Brother-esque twist to this years League, all clubs will be required to guess whether they are playing at home or away for each round. Teams who guess correctly will be awarded an immunity idol and teams who guess incorrectly will be deducted an immunity idol. Thus it will be possible for both teams to win or lose each round.

When questioned about this innovative new policy a spokesperson for the County Board had the following to say " We feel that the league as it stands is boring, nothing but games of football in the wet and muck. With this new format, we expect to attract large attendances, especially amongst the younger sectors of the community. The lack of actual football will enable players to avoid getting injuries so everybody wins."

The two teams with the least amount of immunity idols at the end of the season will go into a "Cauldron of Death" play-off involving an obstacle course which will have to be completed by the County Board representative from each club with the loser being relegated. The top four teams will be entered into a similar play-off with the ultimate winner being crowned champions.

Our source however also indicated that there may be room for a Grand Final Super Playoff between the relegated team and the Champions which would give the relagated side a chance to be crowned champions and could see the champions being relegated. Our source also hinted that there may be other twists to come in this final play-off but declined to reveal the details......

When questioned if this format would apply to the hurling league, the spokesperson refused to comment.

Excellent.... ;D ;D ;D

muscles magoo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 08, 2007, 09:14:54 PM
Any word on the fixtures for the league? It's due to start in about 10 days time so they should be out by now you'd imagine...

Fixtures for St Patricks weekend are up on mayogaa.com.

Well done to all those lucky teams playing on the Saturday.....

AbbeySider

Quote from: muscles magoo on March 09, 2007, 08:11:47 AM

Can u post the link?

muscles magoo

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 09, 2007, 09:17:10 AM
Quote from: muscles magoo on March 09, 2007, 08:11:47 AM

Can u post the link?

http://www.mayogaa.com/

Go to the fixtures & results section, and follow the menu through to Senior League then on to whichever division it is you are interested in.