Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

QuoteTyrone bury mort in the net and Mayo look at them and walk away, not one man among the lot of them said a word.
Kenny mortimer would have repaid the deed but nobody bothers today and we are seen as soft for it.
JOM had better put some fire into Mayo very soon or let somebody else do it for him.

Too bloody true!
Remember the last game against Kerry? Mac had gone into that game carrying an injury, far as I can recall.
Anyway, the first time he got possession he was tackled by four or five Kerry lads and took a fair amount of pummelling and pushing. He was dispossessed and not a single Mayo player came to his rescue.
Conor Mort, probably the smallest and lightest on the field, did arrive late on the scene and he floored one of them with a sliding tackle. (Dara O Se?). I just can’t recall off the top of my head but it was disheartening to see Mac being roughed up when he couldn’t defend himself and only Conor reacted.
The abuse Mort himself got in the Tyrone game was unreal. Neither the ref nor his own team mates deserve any credit for doing nothing about it.
I’m none too impressed with O’Mahony’s efforts to date but he can’t be blamed for everything that goes on out on the field. I doubt if I have ever seen a Mayo team as devoid of determination and bottle as I’ve seen this year.
[The last few years weren’t too impressive either but this year was something else!]
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedandGreenSniper

Somehow Lar ur after quoting from the wrong thread!! Mannix comments in Mayo Discussions Pages but ur reply is in club football. Ur right though, not enough alll for one and one for all stuff from our lads
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 01, 2008, 10:55:09 PM
Gave it a miss. Woke up and twas cold outside and United City on the tele was the easier option! It would appear the real final was a few weeks ago against Breaffy!
I hear Myles Kelly's 'The Boys from the Tubber' got a few airings Sunday night along with a Brian Boru speech!!

I take it your back from Oz so R&GS?   ;D

Back to the real world this morning for me.  :'(
Ya a lot of people reckon that the Breaffy game was the county final.
Westport were fairly poor the last day. I dont think they scored from play in the first half, there only score coming from a free.
Only scored 4 points in total.
That said we didnt exactly set the world alight either. We never really got going but still won comfortably enough.

The celebrations were ongoing Sunday and yesterday! 'The Boys from the Tubber' got a few requests !

Davitt Man

so thats the end of the season for this year, is anyone playing any bit of soccer or rugby to keep in shape over the winer??

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on December 02, 2008, 10:13:06 AM
so thats the end of the season for this year,

Almost the end... one fixture to go:

Minor Football League, Division 1 Final, Sat 06 Dec at 1:00
Knockmore v Aghamore, Ref: D. Corcoran in Kiltimagh
Linesmen: M. Corcoran & K. Corcoran

Quote from: Davitt Man on December 02, 2008, 10:13:06 AM
is anyone playing any bit of soccer or rugby to keep in shape over the winer??

I played some rugby last winter to keep me tipping over. A lingering back injury has kept me away from it so far but I might go back for a run out yet.
Just a bit of astro turf and going to the gym is keeping me ticking over. Yourself?

the Deel Rover

Joes telling us to keep the faith think mines all used up at this stage :(

Keep the faith, Kernan urges 
Tuesday, 02 December 2008 
Keep the faith, Joe Kernan urges

SPECIAL GUEST

Joe Kernan with Frank Kelly FORMER Armagh manager Joe Kernan had a special message for the almost 400-strong crowd at the Mayo News/O'Neills Club Stars Charity Banquet – keep the faith.
The man who led the Orchard County to the All-Ireland in 2002 was the special guest for the event, run in association with AIB, with all proceeds going to Enable Ireland.
"These are the best players in Mayo, and they're all young players," he told MC Liam Horan last Friday in the Knockranny House Hotel, Westport. "It could be time for change."
Kernan recalled his time in charge of Crossmaglen Rangers during a well-received speech, saying: "Your club is your family." He paid tribute to those people who introduce youngsters to the 'great game' of Gaelic football, and noted that during difficult times, 'the one thing that holds us together and keeps us sane is sport'.
The popular Ulsterman said the senior players of Crossmaglen were 'an example to everybody' within the club, and 'never think of finals till we get there'. He said he loved 'to see a team wearing the same rig-out', not coming off a bus 'looking like liquorice all-sorts'.
Kernan, who is related to the O'Grady family of The Mall, Westport, stressed the need for unity, recalling that 'everyone stuck together' in Crossmaglen before their current remarkable run of success. "If everybody does what they're told, success will come," he said.
Reflecting on defeats in his first two years as Armagh manager, Kernan added: "You don't throw in the towel ... You don't listen to outsiders ... Stick to the game-plan."
Describing legendary Armagh full-back Francie Bellew as 'a dream to work with', he said: "Players play, managers manage. Players have to work together and give everything you have."
Kernan said he would find it difficult to manage a club or county other than his own. He acknowledged the sacrifices made by footballers and their girlfriends and family, but urged them to continue to make such sacrifices. "There's no county in Ireland with more pain than you," he told the audience.
Player of the Year Barry Regan said that departing Ballaghaderreen manager Frank Kelly 'did a great job', and joked that he would 'have a word' with the former Armagh boss about whether he could be persuaded to fill the position.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GaillimhIarthair

This girl is not very happy to say the least.  Is she James Horans sister or am I completely on the wrong track?  Same club as Feeney?

PRO fires some parting shots

Noelle Horan bows out  after a blistering attack

Daniel Carey
Claremorris

NOELLE Horan launching a blistering attack on the County Board Executive at last night's Mayo GAA Board Convention – and then said would not be seeking a nomination for the post of Public Relations Officer.
Ms Horan, who failed to receive a nomination to contest the position she has held for three years, read from a pre-prepared speech. She told delegates that 'if you do not know your place or toe the 'party' line there is simply no place for you' in the County Board.
The Ballintubber clubwoman clashed with Secretary Seán Feeney and Chairman James Waldron at the last County Board meeting over the ending of her access to the county teams' dressing-room. But her criticism at last night's meeting in the McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris was even more scathing.
She said she was 'most surprised' when reading the Secretary report to Convention in local papers last week. "He may 'cringe' when reading interviews with our county players and criticise their lack of team work, but An Runaí, have you never heard that those in glass houses should not throw stones?" she asked.
"It has never been my intention nor I have knowingly embarrassed any of our county players by my presence [in the dressing room]," she added. "It is very regrettable that our Cathaoirleach has chosen to use our players to achieve his aims."
She said she been 'constructively prevented' from performing the duties of her position, had been 'repeatedly undermined', 'granted authorisation for expenditure at a meeting [only] to have that countermanded in private', 'refused a budget' for her position, and been 'isolated and singled out for special treatment by a select few'. She criticised the 'inaction' of people who 'were aware of this juvenile behaviour, yet did nothing or took some perverse pleasure from it'.
She urged clubs to 'retake control of our County Board' and asked if clubs were 'honestly happy' with the manner in which it was run. She said the Board was guilty of a 'lack of transparency' and that 'decisions are made by a few for the majority'.
Claremorris GAA Club Chairman Kieran Finn supported Ms Horan and said the County Board 'can't afford to lose people of her calibre'. He was applauded by many delegates but Seán Feeney told the meeting: "There are a lot of things I could say too, but I'll withhold my fire. There are two sides to every story."

RedandGreenSniper

I was at the meeting, twas a ballsy speech from Ms Horan and regardless of who was right or who was wrong, it looks very bad to see this sort of stuff getting a public airing. I think Ms Horan earned a lot of respect in the room for her willingness to go down fighting. At times she might have been the author of her own misfortune but it would appear she was very poorly treated nonetheless.
GaillimhIarthair she is the same club as Sean Feeney and is a first cousin of James Horan.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

QuoteSeán Feeney told the meeting: "There are a lot of things I could say too, but I'll withhold my fire. There are two sides to every story."
don't you hate cowards like that . people who insinuate they have dark tales to tell but either haven't the balls to tell it or are just protecting they cushy number
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

StoneWall

Given that both Feeney and Horan are from the same club I'd say there could be a few awkward moments in Ballintubber over Christmas  ::)

Owenmoresider

Lads,

Earlier in the year I posted up files I had done on the c'ship records in Mayo since the 80's. That work goes back to 1975 now, though the '75-76 Intermediates aren't fully complete, and there are some loose ends in the Junior file, which is back to '78, and covers mainly the divisional finals or semis onwards, all are on the links below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/168653126/Mayo_SFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653127/Mayo_IFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653129/Mayo_JFC_History.doc

Farrandeelin

Hopefully the Knockmore miinors can do the double today.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

Anyhone know how this went today?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

highking

Minor Division 1 Final

Aghamore 2-9 Knockmore 0-8

(Half Time: Aghamore 1-3 Knockmore 0-5)

Aghamore: Sean Murtagh; Niall Freeman, Risteard Byrne, Ml Morley; John Lawless, Iarla Carty, Jamie Tighe (0-1); Cathal Freeman (0-5,4f), Robert Lyons; Keith Cassidy (1-1), Joe Ganley, John Dolan; Brendan Harrison, Liam Groarke (0-2), Stephen Kilkenny (1-0). Sub: Mark Waldron.

Knockmore: John McHale; Jason Clarke, Mark Butler, Joe Walsh; Brian Hughes, Alan Stadler, Tomas Langan; Shane McHale, Daryl Herbert; Francie O'Neill, Justin Rice, Niall Gillespie (0-1); Brian Routledge (0-2,1f), Keith Routledge, Colm Donlon (0-5,3f). Sub: Brian Timlin.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 03, 2008, 07:50:08 PM
Lads,

Earlier in the year I posted up files I had done on the c'ship records in Mayo since the 80's. That work goes back to 1975 now, though the '75-76 Intermediates aren't fully complete, and there are some loose ends in the Junior file, which is back to '78, and covers mainly the divisional finals or semis onwards, all are on the links below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/168653126/Mayo_SFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653127/Mayo_IFC_History.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/168653129/Mayo_JFC_History.doc
Thanks very much.
That's one hell of a job you've done!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi