Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

QuoteI appreciate you're only doing what you think is best and I probably jumped the gun a bit with the Ballintubber conspiracy for what its worth. Most of us want the same thing, just have different ideas of how to get there . . .

'for what its worth'. Doesn't seem to be worth much, seeing as you go on to repeat your accusation in the next sentence that Ballintubber only came up with this proposal so that the club would be in with the 'big boys'.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tubberman on January 18, 2007, 04:21:35 PM
QuoteI appreciate you're only doing what you think is best and I probably jumped the gun a bit with the Ballintubber conspiracy for what its worth. Most of us want the same thing, just have different ideas of how to get there . . .

'for what its worth'. Doesn't seem to be worth much, seeing as you go on to repeat your accusation in the next sentence that Ballintubber only came up with this proposal so that the club would be in with the 'big boys'.

What are you on about? I'm simply saying that he has a different list of ideas than what I think is needed. Hence different ideas of how to get there. I better be careful the next time I drive thru Ballintubber ;D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

Fair enough, I read it again and I may have been a little bit quick to have a go at you- as you were earlier to Abbeysider!  ;)
Just agree with the locals next time you're in Ballintubber, and there'll be no problems!  ;D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on January 18, 2007, 05:02:54 PM
Just agree with the locals next time you're in Ballintubber, and there'll be no problems!  ;D

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper
I better be careful the next time I drive thru Ballintubber

LMAO!

;D ;D ;D

stephenite

Haven't had time to read through all the previuos posts but was there any teams seeded for this, I mean in 1A you have a collection of reasonably strong teams, and in 1B Crossmolina will be unbeaten.

Did they just fire all the clubs into a drum and pick them out ?

Mayo4Sam

Stephenite, surprised u haven't mentioned this yet, heard it on wednesday nite but it seems to be common knowledge at this stage, Gazza McHale having transferred over to play under his uncle.

Not the sort of thing i like to see happening but he's a good young footballer and the family is from knockmore, not that thats an excuse.

I said after ballina lost to cross in the semis that a lot of the younger lads were annoyed and gazza actually said it to me that nite, i took it with a pinch of salt but apparrently he's training with knockmore and I'm led to believe that he has transferred
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on January 19, 2007, 02:35:26 AM
Haven't had time to read through all the previuos posts but was there any teams seeded for this, I mean in 1A you have a collection of reasonably strong teams, and in 1B Crossmolina will be unbeaten.

Did they just fire all the clubs into a drum and pick them out ?

I think what they seem to have done is just went with every second team. First team in Div 1 this year was Crossmolina, they go into 1A, second team was Shrule, they go into 1B, third team was Kiltane, they go to 1A and fourth was Ballina who go into 1B and it continues the whole way down.

venter

QuoteStephenite, surprised u haven't mentioned this yet, heard it on wednesday nite but it seems to be common knowledge at this stage, Gazza McHale having transferred over to play under his uncle.

Not the sort of thing i like to see happening but he's a good young footballer and the family is from knockmore, not that thats an excuse.

I said after ballina lost to cross in the semis that a lot of the younger lads were annoyed and gazza actually said it to me that nite, i took it with a pinch of salt but apparrently he's training with knockmore and I'm led to believe
that he has transferred

At half time of the ballina cross semi final , the ballina young lads spent the half time interval playing "keep e uppies" . The cross subs were in the dressing room. You'd have to wonder about the attitude of the players coming through in Ballina.

Farrandeelin

I've heard about the transfer on Wednesday night as well. I don't rate Gazza as a good footballer either venter. Suppose we'll all have to wait and see what happens.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

I do think hes a decent enough footballer, and we certainly dont have 6 forwards better than him.
As for his attitude, well from what i see it leaves a lot to be desired but maybe working under his uncle it'll be different
As i've said though it is the kind of thing that sickens me, players leaving one club for a neighbouring club and something i've slated ballina about for years, unfortunately it would appear the moral high ground has been levelled  ;)

RedandGreenSniper

How can he play for Knockmore? Is he living in Knockmore or was he born in the parish? If he's not doing either then I don't think its legal. I know his father and uncles are from Knockmore but that won't count for anything.

stephenite

First I've heard of it to be honest. On the one hand I'm disappointed, in that it would be nice to think that a lad who has won so many medals playing underage ( and senior ) for his club, with all his mates would have some sense of loyalty to his mates and the jersey.
I think he had unreal talent as a footballer, he played awesome when he came on in the All Ireland club final, was watching the DVD over the weeked.

However, the above has to tempered by the fact that he has an obvious attitude problem ( and he's not the only one involved in the club ) and some of the actions of these "younger lads" that were annoyed after the semi final is highly derogatory to the Stephenites jersey. You have to earn the right to be a regular on the Stephenites team and the towns not so big that young fellas going on the lash constantly because they have one AI medal in the back pocket, and thinking that said AI medal should be enough to guarantee them a place on the senior team for ever more.
In short, Knockmore are welcome to him in my view, it's disappointing but if the lad isn't prepared to stay and fight for his place and happy to run to the club next door, than good luck to him. And I mean that.

Edit : Have just been told that he left due to lack of playing opportunities with the Stephenites over the past two years. While I disagree with lads changing the clubs that they grew up with, I also find it difficult to condemn any fella that just wants to better himself and see if he can play at the highest possible level. He obviously felt that he wasn't going to get that opportunity with us. Big decision to move to a rival club regardless of the family ties, hopefully it will back fire spectacularly for him ;D

PS : We wouldn't be noted for poaching too many players as a club, there are lads who will move into Ballina from neighbouring towns, and ask to transfer, as a GAA club we have to facilitate that, but we don't go out looking for too many.Also remember S. Smyth? That moral high ground was levelled a long time ago ;)

MacDanger

Don't agree with players changing clubs but he'll have to change his attitude if he'd to make a go of it in Knockmore; now that he's transferred, hopefully he'll do well and will be able to handle the pressure associated with a really big club!!!

Mayo4Sam

QuotePS : We wouldn't be noted for poaching too many players as a club, there are lads who will move into Ballina from neighbouring towns, and ask to transfer, as a GAA club we have to facilitate that, but we don't go out looking for too many.Also remember S. Smyth? That moral high ground was levelled a long time ago

i wouldn't use the word poached but ye have certainly benefitted from players transferring, in particular from junior clubs, not mentioning any names but a rotund FF springs to mind  ;)

As for Seamie, FFS he was 16 and was living in Knockmore!

venter

QuoteI don't know the fella, but it's a bit harsh making personal comments like that on the board, well out of order if you ask me.

I deleted that comment McDanger.