Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: muscles magoo on January 15, 2007, 03:13:08 PM
Abbeysider - I know Ballinrobe didn't have a great year but I'd still have them a few notches above Kilcommon....

Right point taken,   ;D ;)

We played Kilcommon twice this year. I think the first game was the county Intermediate 1/4 final. We were leading by five points and they came back and drew the match. They played some good football an showed resilience to come back.

The replay was in McHale park. We were leading by at least 10 points at half time. Then the two Dillons were taken off (because we thought we had it won) Again they never gave up and came back to nearly win. We pulled away again in the final minutes. Final score was
Ballintubber 2-13 Kilcommon 1-12

I suppose thats why I gave them a little credit. They will do well next year again id say

AbbeySider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 15, 2007, 03:56:12 PM
As a Tourmakeady man,we are no where near the top 5 in the county. We are playing well,but our squad is quite small.

Id say that guy meant that Tourmack are in the top 5 Intermediate clubs in the country...

muscles magoo

Fair point. They did do very well to reach the intermediate knock-out stages in their first year out of junior.

An Gaeilgoir

Well spotted Abbeysider. Thats probably it.Yer not too far off that yerselves.

stephenite

I think Muscles has it almost right with his list - not far off at all, specifically with the two Claremorris teams in the top 10, the Claremorris juniors have been ignored for far too long now ;D

venter

QuoteI think Muscles has it almost right with his list - not far off at all, specifically with the two Claremorris teams in the top 10, the Claremorris juniors have been ignored for far too long now

Stephenite,in fairness to Muscles, I think the second Claremorris was a typo. Im sure he meant to write Crossmolina there.

stephenite

Without trying to second guess what the man was trying to type I'd say it was fairly obvious it was a typo to most people, but fair play to you for pointing it out.
Re the second Cross team, I'd have my doubts at the ranking, I mean surely they would be higher ? ::) :P ;)

AbbeySider

BREAKING NEWS

I just got word that the county board have gone with another proposal for the league fixtures...

That is that there are two senior divisions: 1A and 1B... open draw

and two Intermediate divisions 2A and 2B etc etc

If I remember correctly the teams in 1A are as follows

(I could be one or two teams out in this but I think its nearly right)

1A
Ballina
Ballaghadereen
Shrule
Knockmore
Castlebar
Charlestown
Garrymore
Ballinrobe
Breaffy

1B
Crossmolina
Belmullet
Kiltane
Moy davitts
Tourmack
Davits
Westport
Louisburgh
Claremorris?

The top two in both groups play semis etc. I think the bottom two go down and there is a playoff for third last and third top in a lower division...

Now the above teams are not definite... Im only working from memory here but I think I nearly have it right....
It makes for a more exciting league anyway. The so called weaker teams will certainly "up it" and relish the challenge of playing bigger clubs like Ballina and Crossmolina...

It will make the whole thing way more competitive and improve the game all round

1A looks tougher...

More to follow....

blast05

I thought the proposal was that there would be 10 teams in each of Div 1A and 1B and the same for Div.'s 2 and 3, as there are 60 teams (clubs?). If i am not mistaken, then my club have come out th wrong side of this again, i.e.: a place or 2 higher and we would have been playing a higher grade of football. If i am not mistaken, this is the 3rd time in about 6 years the leagues have been re-structured and it is the 3rd time my club have come out on the wrong side of it. Was it too much to ask that they came up with these proposals this time last year so that clubs would know in advance ..... or perhaps leave the leagues as they are for now and introduce these changes for the 2008 league ?

AbbeySider

Quote from: blast05 on January 16, 2007, 12:35:34 AM
I thought the proposal was that there would be 10 teams in each of Div 1A and 1B and the same for Div.'s 2 and 3, as there are 60 teams (clubs?). If i am not mistaken, then my club have come out th wrong side of this again, i.e.: a place or 2 higher and we would have been playing a higher grade of football. If i am not mistaken, this is the 3rd time in about 6 years the leagues have been re-structured and it is the 3rd time my club have come out on the wrong side of it. Was it too much to ask that they came up with these proposals this time last year so that clubs would know in advance ..... or perhaps leave the leagues as they are for now and introduce these changes for the 2008 league ?

I dont know for sure yet... I have said in my previous post that I could have the teams a wrong, so dont take if for gospel yet.
The above is just the jest of the tables. There probably is supposed to be 10 teams in each... Im not 100% sure.

We will have to wait and see...

MacDanger

So does this mean that 3 teams are being promoted to senior?? Or will the championship remain as it is??

Div 1A looks a bit harder alright.

stephenite

A bit harder, Cross will be inflicting some serious hidings in that group. How were the groups picked? I mean it makes sense to mix up the teams in terms of abilities but no one will touch Cross in that group.

muscles magoo

Quote from: stephenite on January 15, 2007, 09:02:22 PM
I think Muscles has it almost right with his list - not far off at all, specifically with the two Claremorris teams in the top 10, the Claremorris juniors have been ignored for far too long now ;D

Well spotted... threw that in to see if anyone was actually paying attention.... :P

AbbeySider

Quote from: stephenite on January 16, 2007, 05:30:41 AM
How were the groups picked? I mean it makes sense to mix up the teams in terms of abilities but no one will touch Cross in that group.

It was an open draw that took place so all the teams went into a hat etc...

muscles magoo

Do you have the make-up of the other divisions Abbeysider? Have dates etc been decided upon?