The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Vaccine passports won't happen, the Colin Neill and Hospitality Ulster have the DUP by the nuts.

6th sam

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2021, 03:38:23 PM
The run down of the NHS is a separate issue, but I'm simply asking why are people being pressured into getting the vaccine if everyone can still pass/carry it???

The run down of the nhs is not a seperate issue. Hospitals are running over capacity because of Covid patients. The vast majority of those patients are unvaccinated . Vaccinations are a massive factor in protecting people from Covid symptoms and keeping them out of hospitals. If you don't take a vaccine and get Covid and end up in hospital , you are overburdening an already stretched NHS. Because many people are still not getting vaccinated it is prolonging the direct and indirect effects of this virus. If you don't take the vaccine , and/or worst still promote antivacc propaganda,(against very strongly  evidenced based medical advice, you are ill-informed selfish and reckless, imho

Last Man

Vaccination may be a factor, "massive" is a big statement. There's also other things like obesity, insulin resistance, general metabolic health, Vit D, K2, zinc status and probably many more. But not much specific education in these areas. If ever there was a time to go at the obesity crisis it's now!

Hound

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2021, 03:38:23 PM
The run down of the NHS is a separate issue, but I'm simply asking why are people being pressured into getting the vaccine if everyone can still pass/carry it???
It's hard to believe that a small section of society still need to ask this question!

Because you are far far less likely to catch it and pass it on if you are vaccinated.

What's so difficult to understand??

johnnycool

Quote from: Last Man on September 27, 2021, 12:27:27 PM
Vaccination may be a factor, "massive" is a big statement. There's also other things like obesity, insulin resistance, general metabolic health, Vit D, K2, zinc status and probably many more. But not much specific education in these areas. If ever there was a time to go at the obesity crisis it's now!

Two people I know who've been hit hard with Covid, one does triathlons and wasn't vaccinated, ended up in hospital and still isn't right and that's 6 weeks plus later, the other was fully vaccinated, in training for the London Marathon and was up to 20 mile runs, she also ended up in hospital and got pneumonia out of it. Her consultant told her that if she hadn't been vaccinated he felt she would have been a goner.

Being fit and well is obviously better than being obese and the likes but it's no guarantee either.

FFS people give yourself a fighting chance and get vaccinated.

Last Man

Quote from: johnnycool on September 27, 2021, 03:04:04 PM
Quote from: Last Man on September 27, 2021, 12:27:27 PM

Two people I know who've been hit hard with Covid, one does triathlons and wasn't vaccinated, ended up in hospital and still isn't right and that's 6 weeks plus later, the other was fully vaccinated, in training for the London Marathon and was up to 20 mile runs, she also ended up in hospital and got pneumonia out of it. Her consultant told her that if she hadn't been vaccinated he felt she would have been a goner.

Being fit and well is obviously better than being obese and the likes but it's no guarantee either.

FFS people give yourself a fighting chance and get vaccinated.
Endurance athletes are known to be more susceptible to respiratory infections.

armaghniac

Quote from: Thastheball on September 28, 2021, 12:39:00 PM
Once I know the long term risks are minimal on a new vaccine created differently from every other vaccine I have taken, I will happily take it. The period is about 4/5 yrs of evidence that there is no long term implications and thats being generous. As yet there is no evidence established to reassure me. I know I am at risk, with my age profile and fitness but my risk is really minimal, but its still there and I am aware of that. I practise social distancing every day and hand washing etc very regularly. I am under the age of 50, fit, not over weight and have no under lying health conditions so my risk is minimal.

Fine, so long as you stay out of society in the meantime. Do you?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

APM

Once I know the long term risks are minimal on a new vaccine created differently from every other vaccine I have taken, I will happily take it. The period is about 4/5 yrs of evidence that there is no long term implications and thats being generous. As yet there is no evidence established to reassure me. I know I am at risk, with my age profile and fitness but my risk is really minimal, but its still there and I am aware of that. I practise social distancing every day and hand washing etc very regularly. I am under the age of 50, fit, not over weight and have no under lying health conditions so my risk is minimal.

I'm sure lots of the people that won't take the vaccine drink alcohol, smoke, take drugs and eat too much sugar. They will blithely put all kinds of crap into their body over a long period of time that have long term implications for their health, but seemingly that is nothing to worry about. Ask them to take a vaccine and suddenly they become extremely conscientious about their health and will do all of their own research, finding "alternative experts" to inform their decision-making.

Most of this thinking is selfish, egotistical and narcissistic nonsense. This is a public health issue and public health is not just about individual risk.  It is about collective risk. While the vaccine might not make much difference to some individuals (and I doubt anyone can say with confidence if they are a person for whom the vaccine isn't necessary), when you have high levels of uptake its benefit for the collective is much greater. 

Vaccine passports can't come quick enough.  You'll soon see this principled nonsense go out the window when these "vaccine hesitators" are refused entry to pubs and restaurants.  All of a sudden, their "need to be reassured" will be dropped.

Itchy

Where does the "4/5 years of evidence" come from. Did you make that up? Utter nonsense.

trueblue1234

Can I ask why you need a period of 4/5 years? There is more real world evidence on the Covid vaccines than virtually any other vaccines in history already given the volume of roll out. This has provided more information on these vaccines than any other . The volume of data iis. is overwhelming, with more data on these vaccines within 6 months than most will have in decades.
If you can't find the evidence to reassure you, I'd suggest your not looking hard enough.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hound

The 3/4/5/6 years thing is a nonsense.

Where people do have a negative reaction to a vaccine, it happens within a week in the vast majority of cases. Something happening after a few months is very rare, never mind a number of years.

Snapchap

Sure as long as you are ok.

Meanwhile the reason people are facing potentially lethal delays for vital cancer treatments, surgeries etc is because hospitals are being overburdened with unvaccinated covid patients.

At the start of the vaccine roll out, I was of the opinion that I'd never tell anyone what they should do regarding the vaccine, but I've changed my mind on that. You are not smarter than the overwhelming majority of the scientific and medical community around the world regarding the safety of vaccines. Too many people seem to think they are, and the rest of us have to pay the price.

Snapchap

Quote from: Thastheball on September 28, 2021, 04:05:15 PM
I am thanks, and as long as you keep a metre from me I will be ok as well. I don't see us being in a bar or cinema etc as I avoid those places out of respect for the likes of you and others who are more respectful. However I like you am pissed off at people not applying social distancing in a safe manner.

Social distancing? FFS! Social distancing is a mitigation and nothing more. A damage limitation exercise when we had no vaccine available to us. If social distancing was enough to quell a pandemic, we wouldn't be debating the vaccine because there wouldn't be a need for one.

The hospitals are telling us that they are stretched to the limit, not by people who didn't social distance, but by people who didn't get vaccinated. And the DIRECT result of not getting vaccinated is that there are people who cannot get potentially life saving appointments in time. People will suffer and die from this inability to access critical care, and the tragedy is that it's so utterly avoidable - all it takes is for those people who genuinely think they know better than the advice being offered by the overwhelming consensus of medical experts around the world, to just cop the f**k on to themselves.

Look at that man in Letterkenny yesterday. Swallowed the nonsense that the vaccines are dangerous, checked himself out of hospital, and was readmitted to following week to die in a hospital bed. Meanwhile, his wreckless and arrogant attitude cause him to waste public resources, waste the time of ambulance staff, waste the time of doctors and nurses and crucially, put who knows how many people that wanted to help him in direct danger. That is what vaccine scaremongering does - be it scaremongering to his extreme, or posting nonsense on gaaboard about how the vacinnes aren't proven to be safe - you just don't know what poor gullible unfortunate will read it and fall for it, and suffer the consequences.

Dire Ear

I am thanks, and as long as you keep a metre from me I will be ok as well. I don't see us being in a bar or cinema etc as I avoid those places out of respect for the likes of you and others who are more respectful. However I like you am pissed off at people not applying social distancing in a safe manner.
I agree with you on all your points,but  there's no point discussing some things with some people

Snapchap

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 28, 2021, 04:51:15 PM
I agree with you on all your points,but  there's no point discussing some things with some people

Ironically, that's probably how the world's scientific and medical community regards anti-vax conspiracy theorists. So I suppose it all boils down to which of those two groups would be the most reputable and qualified one to talk about science and medicine.