Construction/plumbing issue

Started by magpie seanie, March 26, 2008, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaafan2

Quote from: illdecide on May 14, 2020, 11:25:12 AM
Quote from: gaafan2 on May 14, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Thinking of replacing the bathroom suite. My plumber has advised me to replace the gravity fed tank the roofspace with a hot water pressurised tank which will give much better hot water pressure throughout the house. He quoted me £1500 for these works alone. As I'm no plumbing expert, should I expect to pay that kind of money?

Is that for just his time or is that for all his plumbing work and the pressurised water tank?
£1500 is for installation of the pressurised tank and the materials required.

The bathroom fit out will obviously cost over and above this.

snoopdog

Quote from: gaafan2 on May 14, 2020, 11:57:59 AM
Quote from: illdecide on May 14, 2020, 11:25:12 AM
Quote from: gaafan2 on May 14, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Thinking of replacing the bathroom suite. My plumber has advised me to replace the gravity fed tank the roofspace with a hot water pressurised tank which will give much better hot water pressure throughout the house. He quoted me £1500 for these works alone. As I'm no plumbing expert, should I expect to pay that kind of money?

Is that for just his time or is that for all his plumbing work and the pressurised water tank?
£1500 is for installation of the pressurised tank and the materials required.

The bathroom fit out will obviously cost over and above this.
I  renovated the house last year and the pressurised system was 1500 euros additional. So your quote is sterling and a little bit more expensive .

bigfrank

Hot water issue!

I'm living in a house I bought two years ago,initially when we turned on the hot water for dishes/shower and turned it off after a few hours the water would store and stay hot in the tank for a few days,now when we turn the switch off the water seems to drain from the tank and goes down the drain under the outside tap,can see the steam coming off the hot water as it comes out the pipe. Also it seems to have to fill the tank each time with water if that makes sense as there is a fair bit of noise coming from the tank and pipes each time I use the hot water between pipes filling and draining.

Is this a stat problem/spark or a plumbing issue??

Tony Baloney

Is that pipe letting the water away not your pressure relief from your tank?

general

Put a box of Caustic Soda down drain and pour a bottle of vinegar - should clear up the drain of shower

sensethetone

Sound like you have to much how water and it over flows... Have you a hot water tank in the attic or a pressurised system?

bigfrank

Pressurised system,house was a turnkey purchase and only two years old.only me and wife live there and hot water used to stay in the tank for days at the beginning,now it's a case of turning it on daily just to wash dishes.tank never seems to just warm and then knock of,it's always draining or filling,can hear it thru the cupboard door,hard to explain I guess when I don't really know what I'm talking about lol

TabClear

Quote from: bigfrank on April 28, 2021, 10:18:29 AM
Pressurised system,house was a turnkey purchase and only two years old.only me and wife live there and hot water used to stay in the tank for days at the beginning,now it's a case of turning it on daily just to wash dishes.tank never seems to just warm and then knock of,it's always draining or filling,can hear it thru the cupboard door,hard to explain I guess when I don't really know what I'm talking about lol

I  had a similar problem where a motorised valve got stuck open. The valve was controlled by a thermostat and would open/close to let water into the tank as required. Motor had got stuck so was a simple cheap fix (when I got someone in who knew what to look for).

bigfrank

A plumbing friend suggested changing the 7 bar temperature and pressure relief value just from what I told him over the phone,I haven't got to a hardware store yet to get one,he said he would come over and take a look at what the system is doing when I turn the switch for hot water and then change that valve too.