Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Rossfan on December 30, 2020, 10:14:07 AM
Mayowestros has 3.3 times the population of Leitrim.
Dublin has TWELVE times the population of Mayowestros.

Are you saying dubs have an unfair over Mayo, but Mayo don't have an unfair over Leitrim?

Or is it that Dublin's advantages are bigger than Mayo's advantages?

6th sam

Quote from: dublin7 on December 30, 2020, 10:50:15 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 30, 2020, 10:14:07 AM
Mayowestros has 3.3 times the population of Leitrim.
Dublin has TWELVE times the population of Mayowestros.

Are you saying dubs have an unfair over Mayo, but Mayo don't have an unfair over Leitrim?

Or is it that Dublin's advantages are bigger than Mayo's advantages?

Fair points D7 re population bias, it's just that Dublin's massive population dwarfs every other county, but again I think rather than be distracted by splitting Dublin, which could be a serious boost to the gAA especially in Dublin, but is too controversial, we should concentrate on the other advantages Dublin enjoy. Agree re Kerry in Munster. The provincial advantage is lessened by adding in nfl position as an advantage in AI . Getting Dublin out of Croke park will not only be fair but brings attractive matches in crowded stadia down the country . Budget and resource caps , perk caps, and distributing sponsorship are all fair and non controversial

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on December 30, 2020, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 29, 2020, 11:41:36 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 29, 2020, 02:29:53 PM
Leitrim could play Mayo in a ploughed field and it wouldn't make a difference. Mayo have advantages that Leitrim can't compete with. That's just the way it is. Most people don't care about that though. They're just obsessed with Dublin and hate to see them so successful.

More whataboutery. Never mind Leitrim, what are you going to do about the elephant in the room, Dublin?

Nothing. I don't work for the GAA. What exactly am I expected to do? Also you've got your priorities all screwed up. What you should be focusing on is what are Dublin doing that we're not

One simple fix is the Leinster championship. If people want Dublin to play less games in Croke Park in Leinster then have their county board delegate bring it up with the Leinster council. All the other Leinster counties are the one's voting to keep dubs games in Croker. It's ironic that fans of Leinster counties complain about the dubs playing in Croker when their own county voted for it

What about the Munster championship? Does one win in 85 years for Tipp prove that's not a joke of a competition?

Kerry must be laughing at the rest of Ireland's obsession with Dublin given their easy stroll through Munster every year.(This year was a freak result as proved by Cork's efforts against Tipp in the Munster final)

It's gas that Leitrim are irrelevant to you, but then they're not stopping anyone winning the All Ireland, so who gives a f**k about them.
The fact that Leitrim are very unlikely to win an AI anytime soon won't imperil the future of the GAA.
You can add in another 28 or so counties at present.
Back in the golden age of GAA equality, say the decade from 1995 to 2004, a total of six counties won the AI, including first timers, Armagh and Tyrone.
In the same period, eight different counties were runners up.
In Leinster, during he same period, six different counties won the provincial championship.
By any metric you choose, this decade saw a great levelling of standards throughout the island with counties that had had little or no success of any sort making a name for themselves --- Wexford, Fermanagh, Tipperary and Sligo to name a few.
Then, in a marriage made in Hell, Bertie and Bailey came to a nod and wink arrangement to see government funding diverted to the Dublin County Board. 
That put the kibosh on the Leinster championship but it wasn't until the implementation of the Blue Wave initiative that Dublin began to dominate the AI championship as well,
Dublin has won 8 out of the last 10 AI finals, their last competitive loss being in 2014.
So your fears for the future of Leitrim football must be kept in context. The future of that county's football is far more assured that the future of Dublin's is. The support at grass roots level is far stronger in Leitrim than in Dublin.
It took direct government subvention to recue Dublin from meltdown in 2005 and the whole country is paying an unsustainable price since then.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 30, 2020, 02:48:23 PM
Leitrim could play Mayo in a ploughed field and it wouldn't make a difference. Mayo have advantages that Leitrim can't compete with. That's just the way it is. Most people don't care about that though. They're just obsessed with Dublin and hate to see them so successful.

More whataboutery. Never mind Leitrim, what are you going to do about the elephant in the room, Dublin?

Nothing. I don't work for the GAA. What exactly am I expected to do? Also you've got your priorities all screwed up. What you should be focusing on is what are Dublin doing that we're not

One simple fix is the Leinster championship. If people want Dublin to play less games in Croke Park in Leinster then have their county board delegate bring it up with the Leinster council. All the other Leinster counties are the one's voting to keep dubs games in Croker. It's ironic that fans of Leinster counties complain about the dubs playing in Croker when their own county voted for it

What about the Munster championship? Does one win in 85 years for Tipp prove that's not a joke of a competition?

Kerry must be laughing at the rest of Ireland's obsession with Dublin given their easy stroll through Munster every year.(This year was a freak result as proved by Cork's efforts against Tipp in the Munster final)

It's gas that Leitrim are irrelevant to you, but then they're not stopping anyone winning the All Ireland, so who gives a f**k about them.
The fact that Leitrim are very unlikely to win an AI anytime soon won't imperil the future of the GAA.
Back in the golden age of GAA equality, say the decade from 1995 to 2004, a total of six counties won the AI, including first timers, Armagh and Tyrone.
In Leinster, during he same period, six different counties won the provincial championship.
By any metric you choose, this decade saw a great levelling of standards throughout the island with counties that had had little or no success of any sort making a name for themselves --- Wexford, Fermanagh, Tipperary and Sligo to name a few.
Then, in a marriage made in Hell, Bertie and Bailey came to a nod and wink arrangement to see government funding diverted to the Dublin County Board. 
That put the kibosh on the Leinster championship but it wasn't until the implementation of the Blue Wave initiative that Dublin began to dominate the AI championship as well,
Dublin has won 8 out of the last 10 AI finals, their last competitive loss being in 2014.
So your fears for the future of Leitrim football must be kept in context. The future of that county's football is far more assured that the future of Dublin's is. The support at grass roots level is far stronger in Leitrim than in Dublin.
It took direct government subvention to recue Dublin from meltdown in 2005 and the whole country is paying an unsustainable price since then.

Now the dubs are bankrupting the country as well? That's a new one and so e serious paranoia on your part. Do you believe man really landed on the moon?

Who won the Munster football championships during that period? The same sides who won it this decade apart from Tipp winning their first Munster title in 85 years.

If counties looked at what Dublin were doing and implemented something similar rather than criticising Dublin for being brilliant things might improve.

All the counties (with the exception of cork) have fewer registered players so less financing would be required than the dubs get. Granted the majority of funding Dublin get goes to underage kids and schools rather than the senior inter county sides, but that's irrelevant as Dublin are too good and must be stopped at any cost for the future of this country

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on December 30, 2020, 03:52:00 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 30, 2020, 02:48:23 PM

Now the dubs are bankrupting the country as well? That's a new one and so e serious paranoia on your part. Do you believe man really landed on the moon?

Who won the Munster football championships during that period? The same sides who won it this decade apart from Tipp winning their first Munster title in 85 years.

If counties looked at what Dublin were doing and implemented something similar rather than criticising Dublin for being brilliant things might improve.

All the counties (with the exception of cork) have fewer registered players so less financing would be required than the dubs get. Granted the majority of funding Dublin get goes to underage kids and schools rather than the senior inter county sides, but that's irrelevant as Dublin are too good and must be stopped at any cost for the future of this country
Look, don't mind the "whataboutery," ffs! ;D ;D
Just stay wit5h the figures I have quoted and stop moaning about the great service Dublin is providing to the rest of us ungrateful, jealous, mean- minded etc. etc. culchies.
Just for once, stop clouding the issue
Forget the croc tears for lowly Leitrim-- they have some chance of beating Mayo but Mayo is not the evil empire that is spreading contagion throughout the land.
Figures may be twisted or slewed whatever way you like but  in the end they don't tell lies.
Just to repeat:
The decade leading up to 2005, saw a total of six counties win Leinster, in the intervening 21 years, Dublin has won all but one. That in ordinary English means 15 out of 16.
Thanks to Bertie, Dublin started getting financial aid in 2005 (or thereabouts)
Is it pure coincidence that there's no connection between the direct financial subvention, the first of its kind to any county, and Dublin's dramatic improvement in form?
In the first decade of this century, a total of five counties won the All Ireland. But in the present decade Dublin has won 8 out of 10.
If this was horse racing, there'd be a stewards' enquiry a long time before now

dublin7

I imagine the Munster football championship is the most one sided tournament in the GAA. Clare won once in the 90s. Tipp won this year. So that's an average of maybe once every twenty years Kerry or Cork don't win it. Why aren't you shouting or screaming about that?

I imagine it's simply because you think Mayo can beat Cork and Kerry but not the dubs. To be fair results over the last decade would show that to be the case.

It's amazing the amount of things you blame on Dublin GAA. The more they get right and the better the senior footballers perform seems to make you angrier and angrier.

We'll have to agree to disagree that Dublin GAA/senior football team is an evil empire out to destroy this country.

Given your obsession with finances how are Mayo's fundraising efforts going for their centre of excellence. Have Mayo Co. Board made up with their millionaire backer in the US? Would be a big advantage to Mayo GAA to get that centre of excellence built. The likes of Dublin and Galway don't have those sort of facilities.

Rather than criticize another county for doing this I'd say fair play to them.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on December 30, 2020, 06:32:56 PM
I imagine the Munster football championship is the most one sided tournament in the GAA. Clare won once in the 90s. Tipp won this year. So that's an average of maybe once every twenty years Kerry or Cork don't win it. Why aren't you shouting or screaming about that?

I imagine it's simply because you think Mayo can beat Cork and Kerry but not the dubs. To be fair results over the last decade would show that to be the case.

It's amazing the amount of things you blame on Dublin GAA. The more they get right and the better the senior footballers perform seems to make you angrier and angrier.

We'll have to agree to disagree that Dublin GAA/senior football team is an evil empire out to destroy this country.

Given your obsession with finances how are Mayo's fundraising efforts going for their centre of excellence. Have Mayo Co. Board made up with their millionaire backer in the US? Would be a big advantage to Mayo GAA to get that centre of excellence built. The likes of Dublin and Galway don't have those sort of facilities.

Rather than criticize another county for doing this I'd say fair play to them.

I'll wish you and yours a prosperous, virus-free New Year to begin with.
After that, everything else falls into place. I find this board is the best antidote to stress that I have ever come across.
Here, nobody pays attention to whatever someone else may say and there are more closed minds here than you'd get at an annual convention of the DUP.
For myself, at any rate, I know the odds of changing anybody else' point of view are practically nil but since this is a low-traffic board, iI know that whatever I post, or read, won't dramatically affect the future of the GAA.
And that's when I am not trolling! ;D
However, in one of my more serious posts recently I pointed out that the majority of  posters to this thread and the other related ones are mixing up Cause and Effect.
IMO anyway, there is no point in dwelling on the Cause of Dublin's dominance now and for the foreseeable future.
The Effect is quite a different matter.
I have always maintained that Dublin is doing nothing wrong. The system is grievously flawed but Dublin is doing nothing that every other county wouldn't do-- if given the chance.
But...
Figures don't lie.
I have chosen some selective facts, ones that are in the public domain.
If you read carefully hat I have said, you'll find I do not blame Dublin GAA for anything that others wouldn't do and I have no patience with those who continually carp about Dublin's advantages. Of course Dublin GAA is getting a lot of things right and others could well follow their example but no other will ever be able to compete with Dublin on level terms.
Turkeys won't vote for Christmas and Dublin will attempt to hold on to what it has but the stats I have posted should concern even the most die-hard Dubs I've come across.
Just look at the stats and forget about Leitrim, Cork and any outlier county you can think of.

I picked 2005 because that was the year Dublin got direct funding from the Sports Council, something that had not happened before. It was a watershed year in other ways as well. Take a look at the spread of Leinster titles in the previous decade and compare it with what has happened since.
Need I go on about what has happened since the launch of the Blue Wave initiative?

manfromdelmonte

Other Leinster counties won't move games from Croke Park as they know it will affect their county and club grants from leinster gaa.

reillycavan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 30, 2020, 08:14:12 PM
Other Leinster counties won't move games from Croke Park as they know it will affect their county and club grants from leinster gaa.

Have you a link for this? Something needs to  be done.

rodney trotter

Mike Ashley's Irish based Sports Direct to Sponsor Cork GAA over the next 5 years worth 2 million . Its short of the deal AIG have with Dublin, 800k per year

Hound

Quote from: dublin7 on December 29, 2020, 09:14:10 PM

The Mayo team are one of the few teams in the country not afraid to take on Dublin. Its the whinging Mayo posters on this MB who are only interested in weakening Dublin
Absolutely. If you asked a Mayo or Kerry inter county player what advantages do Dublin have over Mayo and Kerry that potentially impact on match results, they would mention travel and perhaps the Dubs playing so often in Croke Park. They know that individually and collectively they are looked after pretty much as well as the Dubs are and the money argument is a complete red herring. 

Nobody who talks of splitting Dublin to give other counties a better chance of winning Leinster is serious, unless they also talk of splitting Mayo and Galway to help Leitrim win Connacht.

The only way of 'making it fair' would be to split everything based on political constituencies.  A proposal which wouldn't get very far!

Tubberman

Quote from: Hound on January 03, 2021, 02:26:42 PM

The Mayo team are one of the few teams in the country not afraid to take on Dublin. Its the whinging Mayo posters on this MB who are only interested in weakening Dublin
Absolutely. If you asked a Mayo or Kerry inter county player what advantages do Dublin have over Mayo and Kerry that potentially impact on match results, they would mention travel and perhaps the Dubs playing so often in Croke Park. They know that individually and collectively they are looked after pretty much as well as the Dubs are and the money argument is a complete red herring. 

Nobody who talks of splitting Dublin to give other counties a better chance of winning Leinster is serious, unless they also talk of splitting Mayo and Galway to help Leitrim win Connacht.

The only way of 'making it fair' would be to split everything based on political constituencies.  A proposal which wouldn't get very far!

If money is a red herring, then take it out of the equation and pool all sponsorship money
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Milltown Row2

Cork seemed to have arranged a good deal with sports direct it seems
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2021, 02:59:24 PM
Cork seemed to have arranged a good deal with sports direct it seems

It seemed the FAI did too. And Rangers.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tubberman on January 03, 2021, 02:30:40 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 03, 2021, 02:26:42 PM

If money is a red herring, then take it out of the equation and pool all sponsorship money

Which means 25 counties won't bother getting sponsorship. 1/32nd of Dublin and Corks deal is worth more than most county deals, why do the legwork for 1/32nd of what you get?