Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

The Rossies of Ballaghaderreen who support their County team ( Ros) are the real heroes.
If we win Sunday let it be dedicated to them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ballinaman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2016, 05:28:23 PM
The Rossies of Ballaghaderreen who support their County team ( Ros) are the real heroes.
If we win Sunday let it be dedicated to them.
Yeah, who would they be like, Jesus or someone?

Maroon Manc

Whats the deal with a Rossie born in Ballagh who's parents are from Ballagh too, can he play for Roscommon under the parentage rule or is he not allowed as Ballagh is in Mayo according to the GAA?

Rossfan

Ballaghaderreen is Mayo per GAA rules.
He'd have to move to somewhere in the rest of Ros and transfer to the local club there.
The True Rossies set up a club called St John's many years ago but were blocked from affiliating to Ros Co Board by the Rhubarbs/Galway and fcukn Laythrum reps on the Connacht Council.
>:( >:( >:( >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2016, 05:38:55 PM
He'd have to move to somewhere in the rest of Ros and transfer to the local club there.
The True Rossies set up a club called St John's many years ago but were blocked from affiliating to Ros Co Board by the Rhubarbs/Galway and fcukn Laythrum reps on the Connacht Council.

Sean Kilbride had to leave his home club just to play for his home county. Fûcking nonsense. Luckily it meant we never had to see the sight of Senan or Ian kicking over the winning point for Mayo in an AI final. Shudder.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2016, 05:44:47 PM

Sean Kilbride had to leave his home club just to play for his home county. Fûcking nonsense. Luckily it meant we never had to see the sight of Senan or Ian kicking over the winning point for Mayo in an AI final. Shudder.
You'll be a while waiting for Senan to kick it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 08, 2016, 05:48:38 PM

You'd be waiting longer than infinity for your boys to do it.

Lar Naparka

Ah, for Christ's sake, the whining and moaning is starting up all over again! ;D ;D ;D

For a person from Ballagh with pretensions to being a journalist, yer wan got one crucial fact wrong near the beginning and after that she goes from bad to worse.

"Ballaghaderreen moved from Co Mayo to Co Roscommon in 1898, but the town's GAA club refused to move."

That's what she wrote, and, going by the howls we get here from time to time, it seems lots of her fellow sheepophiles believe that.

To begin with, Ballagh did opt to transfer to Roscommon.  (The club name then was "Faugh A Ballagh.")
The record shows that it played in the Roscommon championship for one year and then transferred back to Mayo, vowing to never return.
The official records don't reveal the reason for this change of county but I did have a civilised conversation with Turlough O' Carolan, one intelligent Rossie who used to be active here some years ago and he put me on the right track. Turlough knew that Roscommon clubs didn't fancy playing against the newcomer as it was able to bate the f**k out of each and every one of them,. So they ganged up on the new arrival and basically threw it out.
I took it from there and was able to piece the true story together.

Another thing, if I was a sheepshagger, the last thing I'd go about moaning in public about would be Ballagh refusing to play football with Roscommon. I'd be too embarrassed to let it be known that they prefer playing in Mayo- doesn't say much for the standard of football in Roscommon, does it?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 09:07:49 PM
Ah, for Christ's sake, the whining and moaning is starting up all over again! ;D ;D ;D

For a person from Ballagh with pretensions to being a journalist, yer wan got one crucial fact wrong near the beginning and after that she goes from bad to worse.

"Ballaghaderreen moved from Co Mayo to Co Roscommon in 1898, but the town's GAA club refused to move."

That's what she wrote, and, going by the howls we get here from time to time, it seems lots of her fellow sheepophiles believe that.

To begin with, Ballagh did opt to transfer to Roscommon.  (The club name then was "Faugh A Ballagh.")
The record shows that it played in the Roscommon championship for one year and then transferred back to Mayo, vowing to never return.
The official records don't reveal the reason for this change of county but I did have a civilised conversation with Turlough O' Carolan, one intelligent Rossie who used to be active here some years ago and he put me on the right track. Turlough knew that Roscommon clubs didn't fancy playing against the newcomer as it was able to bate the f**k out of each and every one of them,. So they ganged up on the new arrival and basically threw it out.
I took it from there and was able to piece the true story together.

Another thing, if I was a sheepshagger, the last thing I'd go about moaning in public about would be Ballagh refusing to play football with Roscommon. I'd be too embarrassed to let it be known that they prefer playing in Mayo- doesn't say much for the standard of football in Roscommon, does it?

Does a hostage's preferences matter to the captor?

giveballaghback

The problem is not about the rhubarbs in ballagh, they can play with  and support Mayo to their hearts content and no rossie will have any issue with that.
Its the denial of a players right to play with his native county if he wishes to do so. Thats the issue, no more, no less.

barking mad

Shairoze Akram and Andy Moroon have Stockholm syndrome that is a fact.
Genuinely they don't want to leave there captors for fear of being told there never going to win Sam as rhubarb.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2016, 05:51:01 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 08, 2016, 05:48:38 PM

You'd be waiting longer than infinity for your boys to do it.
I gave up hope in 2010 to be honest. And last year confirmed it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 08, 2016, 09:56:59 PM
The problem is not about the rhubarbs in ballagh, they can play with  and support Mayo to their hearts content and no rossie will have any issue with that.
Its the denial of a players right to play with his native county if he wishes to do so. Thats the issue, no more, no less.

I've a serious question for you. I've tried asking your fellow countymen on this board the same question and all I got/get in return is dogs' abuse, tempered with a touch of paranoia, flavoured with a dollop of self-delusion.
The Ballagh club is a unit of the GAA, right?
Therefore it open for membership and can't or doesn't operate a closed a closed door policy.
In common or garden English and anyone in the parish may feel free to join it.
Am I correct so far?
So, how come there isn't a pro-Rossie majority by now?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi