Connacht Centre of Excellence

Started by GaillimhIarthair, August 20, 2009, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azzurri

Quote from: ludermor on August 22, 2009, 02:13:58 PM
Quote from: Azzurri on August 22, 2009, 02:07:14 PM
This is a joke. Every county should have their own centre of excellence. This will cost €10 million. Could €2 million not be given to each county to help develop facilities in each. What will happen on Saturdays when every county will want to use the facilities at the same time? I cant see Mayo training on one pitch and galway on the pitch beside it.  ???
Would you be confident that each county board would use the money wisely?

Well in Roscommon there are already plans for a dedicated county training facility. I'd imagine Ros County Board would love to get €2 million towards the project. I just hope this isnt a Mayo training facility disguised as a Connacht Centre of Excellence. Im not sure about Sligo and Leitrim. Do Galway have seperate training facilities for the hurlers and footballers?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Azzurri on August 22, 2009, 03:07:53 PM
Quote from: ludermor on August 22, 2009, 02:13:58 PM
Quote from: Azzurri on August 22, 2009, 02:07:14 PM
This is a joke. Every county should have their own centre of excellence. This will cost €10 million. Could €2 million not be given to each county to help develop facilities in each. What will happen on Saturdays when every county will want to use the facilities at the same time? I cant see Mayo training on one pitch and galway on the pitch beside it.  ???
Would you be confident that each county board would use the money wisely?

Well in Roscommon there are already plans for a dedicated county training facility. I'd imagine Ros County Board would love to get €2 million towards the project. I just hope this isnt a Mayo training facility disguised as a Connacht Centre of Excellence. Im not sure about Sligo and Leitrim. Do Galway have seperate training facilities for the hurlers and footballers?

Galway football centre opened about 18 months ago. Hurling one is under construction.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 05:07:52 AM
Quote from: western exile on August 21, 2009, 11:55:09 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 21, 2009, 08:25:22 AM
Leitrim are building a centre of excellence in annaduff, but it seems stalled. Sligo have one planned. I  personnally would prefer individual county ones if feasible. Its over over 1.5hrs to Ballyhaunis from North Sligo, not really feasible for the whole of Connacht IMO, just too far from the outskirts of the province. Mayo will get best use of it, South Sligo, west Roscommon and North Galway too. Tyrones Centre of excellence is worth a look. I think Sligo need to be self serving and get our one up and built asap.
It is being located at the centre of Connacht!   Exactly half way between Sligo and Galway, and halfway between Westport and Roscommon, and you are complaining because it is too far from the outskirts of the province. There is just no pleasing some people !!

This doesnt please me, how would it, mayo will get best use out of it, no argument there, I am from outskirts of Connacht so thats my reality, Im looking at it from the Sligo point of view and players from North Sligo. Is that unfair of me  ::). County Sligo doenst end in Sligo town btw. This Centre should be downgraded and money saved given to each other county. Then id be satisfied. Its far too convenient for mayo and I dont like the way its been proposed, why dont they just call it mayo centre of excellence. With county expenses going through the roof even if we wanted to can you see Sligo using it much, its another 40-60 mins past Tubbercurry and over the year that would add massively to costs and can you see us sending underage teams there, rarely id say, the only cost we would save is Kevin Walshs mileage allowance...thats the Sligo view.

Bellaghy (wait for the usual reply) is only 17 miles from Bekan and Sligo football is centred in the south of the county so its actually nearer for most of yer football heartland than it is for us. The Ulster football centre is in Monaghan afaik, hardly central. If Sligo put a centre in Tubbercurry, the most suitable location, you'd still be at a disadvantage so your point is moot.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 22, 2009, 04:35:19 PM
Leitrim are building a centre of excellence in annaduff, but it seems stalled. Sligo have one planned. I  personnally would prefer individual county ones if feasible. Its over over 1.5hrs to Ballyhaunis from North Sligo, not really feasible for the whole of Connacht IMO, just too far from the outskirts of the province. Mayo will get best use of it, South Sligo, west Roscommon and North Galway too. Tyrones Centre of excellence is worth a look. I think Sligo need to be self serving and get our one up and built asap.
It is being located at the centre of Connacht!   Exactly half way between Sligo and Galway, and halfway between Westport and Roscommon, and you are complaining because it is too far from the outskirts of the province. There is just no pleasing some people !!

This doesnt please me, how would it, mayo will get best use out of it, no argument there, I am from outskirts of Connacht so thats my reality, Im looking at it from the Sligo point of view and players from North Sligo. Is that unfair of me  ::). County Sligo doenst end in Sligo town btw. This Centre should be downgraded and money saved given to each other county. Then id be satisfied. Its far too convenient for mayo and I dont like the way its been proposed, why dont they just call it mayo centre of excellence. With county expenses going through the roof even if we wanted to can you see Sligo using it much, its another 40-60 mins past Tubbercurry and over the year that would add massively to costs and can you see us sending underage teams there, rarely id say, the only cost we would save is Kevin Walshs mileage allowance...thats the Sligo view.

Bellaghy (wait for the usual reply) is only 17 miles from Bekan and Sligo football is centred in the south of the county so its actually nearer for most of yer football heartland than it is for us. The Ulster football centre is in Monaghan afaik, hardly central. If Sligo put a centre in Tubbercurry, the most suitable location, you'd still be at a disadvantage so your point is moot.
Sad sad uneducated wind up post. Does not reflect well on you. Lecturing moi on Sligo Football ::). There are 5 North Sligo Senior clubs in our Qtr Finals of SFC. Sligo had 7 of the starting 15 against Kerry from North Sligo so stick that in your pipe...  the centre of Sligo is near the south of the town before Balymote IMO. Wrong on a few thing there sniper, you stuck in a time warp, Times change and balance of power is no longer in the south of the county at any age.

Quote from: ludermor on August 22, 2009, 02:08:38 PM

Thsts your view. There are places in mayo further away from it than any part of sligo.
Who voted for this? Were there any objections? If it is for the provence then it is in a good and fair location it would have had to end up somewhere so people are always going to give out.

I think me and the Ross lads are on the same wave length, the Galway lads dont care because they already have the facilities.  Look we are not argunig that its the centre of Connacht, but all were saying is we wont use it, Leitrim wont and Roscommon wont and Galway wont use it, so dont dress it up as centre for connacht, Go back to the drawing board and down grade to 3 or 4 million centre, then give Sligo,leitrim and Roscommon 2 million each and then we will be happy ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

western exile

I looked up the dictionary..........

Sligonian
–adjective
1.    devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2.    characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 05:10:18 PM
Sad sad uneducated wind up post. Does not reflect well on you. Lecturing moi on Sligo Football ::). There are 5 North Sligo Senior clubs in our Qtr Finals of SFC. Sligo had 7 of the starting 15 against Kerry from North Sligo so stick that in your pipe...  the centre of Sligo is near the south of the town before Balymote IMO. Wrong on a few thing there sniper, you stuck in a time warp, Times change and balance of power is no longer in the south of the county at any age.

[

Oh I forgot, you know everything. How foolish of me. My most sincere apologies. If you know so much so amigo tell me would you trust the Sligo County Board, who you spend so much time dishing, to spend this €2million you request on the appropriate facilities? Also what are you going to be able to build for €2million? A couple of pitches and a modest clubhouse. The Connacht Centre should be a great asset for all counties, a lot of economies of scale will come into play. A full-size indoord pitch will be great for the entire province. It's just your bad luck that you're practically living in Bundoran.
And on that point anyone from Belmullet, Achill or Louisburgh would probably be further away. Build a bridge.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: western exile on August 22, 2009, 07:28:02 PM
I looked up the dictionary..........

Sligonian
–adjective
1.    devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2.    characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

Ya I only care about Sligo :o, whats your point? That I should care about mayo, and other counties, give me a break. This is mayo pretending to care about the whole of Connacht but really its looking after no 1, not only have ye stolen bellaghy and ballaghdereen but now yere stealing funds from Croke park. So its very hypocritical calling a Sligonian selfish, have a look at oneself, is that possible for a mayoman?
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 22, 2009, 08:03:49 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 05:10:18 PM

[

Oh I forgot, you know everything. How foolish of me. My most sincere apologies. If you know so much so amigo tell me would you trust the Sligo County Board, who you spend so much time dishing, to spend this €2million you request on the appropriate facilities? Also what are you going to be able to build for €2million? A couple of pitches and a modest clubhouse. The Connacht Centre should be a great asset for all counties, a lot of economies of scale will come into play. A full-size indoord pitch will be great for the entire province. It's just your bad luck that you're practically living in Bundoran.
And on that point anyone from Belmullet, Achill or Louisburgh would probably be further away. Build a bridge.

The spin doctor is back, completely ignores my last post tearing his logic to shreds, then in an attempt to deflect that he knows NOTHING about Sligo football he say "oh I forgot you know everything" well where did Sligonian say that ::), i will admit i know a hell of lot more about Sligo football than you ;), but I wouldnt attempt to lecture mayo people about mayo football.

Then he goes on about my County Board dishing, well I know who are the ones serving Sligo Football in the County Board, and lucky for us the treasurer is one of them, you only have to look at Club SLigo to know that, I wouldnt have joined that if I thought my money would be wasted, so therefore 2 million im sure he'd and few others would put it to good use. Lets be specific sniper, you tend to be very selective and twisting in your posts to suit your agenda. If you go back I was pretty specific in my criticisms and never once criticised the treasurer. Structures, processes are slightly different topics ;) its fair to say.

Have you contradicted yourself on your last point sniper, you were telling me south Sligo is the football heartland and we should build our centre in Tubbercurry, well isnt your football heartland north east mayo im thinking, so ballyhaunis wouldnt to bad a location for ye despite your spin on achill, belmullet etc....being so far away, i doubt ye'll lose any sleep over that. If yer were building yer own which IMO ye are, it would most still be built in Ballyhaunis its fair to say.

Oh and watch now as all the mayolads leach on to the words Bellaghy and Ballaghdereen...... :D and ignore the rest of my post. Well sniper you used for your point first ;)....and it fits nicely into my point.

neilthemac

Tell me, why have Mayo CB not developed their own training facilities?

Oh yeah, cause they blew a load of money from Croke Park on the McHale Park redevelopment and now there is no more money for Mayo.

So, they secure funding for a Connacht Centre and locate it in Mayo. Genius

What teams are going to use this facility? teams from Mayo, maybe the odd North Roscommon development paenl. It will be mainly used for playing colleges, 3rd level games and underage blitzes.

Waste of money

stephenite

Rossies are in no position to be lecturing anyone on how to manage finances - it wasn't the Mayo CB that had Croke Park officials come in to look after the pennies not so long ago

SLIGONIAN

How does the Connacht Council work? Representatives from all 5 Counties. Same structure as County Board.

Whats the breakdown on each counties representatives? How much longer has prenty in the hotseat and can he be re elected continously?

There is a perception in Sligo that, Mayo and Galway vote the same, Leitrim and Roscommon vote against each other at this level...is that true?

Who iniatated this project, why did the other reps agree? Id like to see the feasibility study showing me the breakdown of predicted county usage and teams?

I would obviously like to ask CC why not downgrade and help out other countys planned centres? If this is built would CC still support individual counties building smaller scale centres?

Is the whole 10 million going towards the centre or is some of it being used to pay off mchale park, transparency?

Just questions IMO and if Mr Prenty has nothing to hide im sure he'd answer them.

stephenite

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 23, 2009, 11:02:57 AM
Is the whole 10 million going towards the centre or is some of it being used to pay off mchale park, transparency?

Just questions IMO and if Mr Prenty has nothing to hide im sure he'd answer them.

First off, I think it's a ludicrous to suggest that some of the money is being used to pay off McHale park redevelopment - if that was even suggested it would have caused such a furore it would have been plastered all over the media

Secondly - what makes you think John Prenty is going to answer questions posed by an anonymous character on a discussion board, contact your own County Boards CC rep to get an answer

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stephenite on August 23, 2009, 11:30:16 AM

First off, I think it's a ludicrous to suggest that some of the money is being used to pay off McHale park redevelopment - if that was even suggested it would have caused such a furore it would have been plastered all over the media

Secondly - what makes you think John Prenty is going to answer questions posed by an anonymous character on a discussion board, contact your own County Boards CC rep to get an answer

Come off your high horse, will ya, asking for transparency of every penny earmarked for this project is my right, is it not? Ya I will admit there is a lack of trust there from my side, but it is a reasonable request IMO. In prenty quotes he mentions the recessionary prices and value for money. 10 million has been earmarked and lets say the tenders come back and 3 contractors price it at 8 million, Where does the other 2 million go?

Also I will ask Sligo Connacht Council representative in due course.....dont worry.

stephenite

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 23, 2009, 12:17:44 PM
Quote from: stephenite on August 23, 2009, 11:30:16 AM

Come off your high horse, will ya, asking for transparency of every penny earmarked for this project is my right, is it not? Ya I will admit there is a lack of trust there from my side, but it is a reasonable request IMO. In prenty quotes he mentions the recessionary prices and value for money. 10 million has been earmarked and lets say the tenders come back and 3 contractors price it at 8 million, Where does the other 2 million go?

Also I will ask Sligo Connacht Council representative in due course.....dont worry.

Not on any horse - but if you can't see that it's a pretty unlikely scenario, that other counties would agree to Mayo using some of the money for their own benefit, than I'm not going to engage you on why you think it's a reasonable request.

Do let us know what your rep says - I won't worry

::)

magpie seanie

Just a quick question - do any other provinces have or plan to have provincial centres of excellence?

stephenite

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2009, 12:37:34 PM
Just a quick question - do any other provinces have or plan to have provincial centres of excellence?

I think Ulster have one - it would make more sense for each county to have their own smaller centre though