Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Jaysus lads this is poor stuff from us. Early days I know but...

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on January 06, 2013, 02:19:19 PM
Jaysus lads this is poor stuff from us. Early days I know but...

Found our feet and dominated the last 15 mins of the 2nd half. McKiernan dominant in the middle, mackey doing well and Dunne getting some great scores. Would like to see some more spread of the scores though, no real threat from any other player.

Itchy

we are 1 point up, dominating but have missed 1-2 at least in the 2nd half.

Westside

Dunne is really the only person we are playing inside.. Keatings physical presence is really missed. We are trailing by 2 at the moment and discipline is beginning to wane. 

Itchy

Bet 1-10 to 0-11.

A decent display, did well around the pitch at different times but as Westside says we had no scoring threat apart from Dunne, who scored 0-09. I thought our Half back line was good, decent in the middle but again no scoring threat at all from half forward. FB line was pretty solid too apart from the goal. Declan McKiernan had a real bad game and I wonder can he hold his nerve at this level. Still Down are a team that contest an AI final not so long ago and Cavan extremely young team. Lots to work on but a decent enough start.

Westside

Not a disastrous to the year as Itchy says.. But if we are playing that ponderous passing around midfield, passing from the inside forward line back out to the 45 constantly then this team will drive people mad. Gearoid and Dunne were our only scoring threats. Several times McKeever and McDermott had the ball in what should be scoring positions and didn't even consider going for the score.

Mackey played very well in patches, as did McKeever, Gearoid was our best player by a distance. The defence held well after the opening flurry of scores from Down. Poor games from Declan McKiernan (missed a few fairly straighforward frees at vital times)  and Niall McDermot, Oisin O'Connell and Murray didn't do well when they came on either.

Some positives to be taken from today but at the end of the day we got nothing from the game. Lukewarm start to the year I suppose but there was no lack of effort and we had a few nice passages of play. We tired towards the end and gave away some sloppy frees. The McKenna Cup means nothing at this stage, it's all about league survival and from today we've learned that we need to have a bigger spread of scoring threat, a reliable free taker, and wrap Gearoid in cotton wool.

rodney trotter

Cavan were missing Eugene keating, who was Cavans best forward in the Championship last year and had started off well in the League until he got injured and David Givney who is one of the top midfield players in Ulster.

Wouldn't be getting that worried about it. Its only the 6th of Januray. When everyone is available like Givney,Keating,Jack Brady and Martin Reilly there would be lots more players capable of scoring...

gortnaleck

How come Dunne did not take those frees in the second half ? Down seemed to have a lot of very big players out there.

tommysmith

Quote from: gortnaleck on January 06, 2013, 05:13:55 PM
How come Dunne did not take those frees in the second half ? Down seemed to have a lot of very big players out there.

He only takes the handy ones.

gortnaleck

Itchy

Ffs, he scored 9 points and cut out a lot of the silly shots he used to be at and ye are making sly digs. Give the lad a break.

gortnaleck

I know what he scored, that's why I'm wondering why he did not take those frees

tommysmith

I was just stating the obvious not having a go at anyone.

rodney trotter

Don't think Martin Dunne ever takes long range free's anyway. Keating would normally take them but he wasn't playing

Itchy

Quote from: tommysmith on January 06, 2013, 06:47:28 PM
I was just stating the obvious not having a go at anyone.

Well it read like you were saying he only took easy frees - if thats not what you meant then apologies. I expect he doesn't have the distance for the ones further out.