Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: bingobus on May 25, 2009, 02:14:09 PM
Quote from: boojangles on May 25, 2009, 02:03:53 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 25, 2009, 10:36:21 AM

Cass has a reputation for playing a particular style of effective, if not overly-attractive, football; he i snot reknowned for preparing teams to win by common thuggery. By this stage, McEnaney certainly is. The blame for yesterday's events lies almost entirely with how the GAA has failed to deal with this Monaghan squad.

Whilst you can look at individual incidents involving Derry, you have to look at the whole ethos of the Monaghan team and I would encourage the heirarchy of the GAA to consider excluding Monaghan from the qualifier draw. I certainly wouldn't want them and their tactics sullying the hallowed turf of Casement Park later this summer.

Saffron cop the f**k on will ya.I was at the game yesterday as a neutral(Cavan man) and I seen bad incidents from both sides.Both teams played on the edge and at times it wasnt pretty but it was Ulster football,played at an intensity which at times was brilliant. Blaming Monaghan solely for yesterdays spectacle and saying they shud be left out of the Qualifiers is totally outrageous.I tell ya one thing,I would love if my club played with the same intensity that either team played with yesterday.No Quarter asked No Quarter given.Let the Media go to town and highlight the bad incidents,and rightly so.But dont talk as if yesterdays game is alien to us,its not,it was Ulster football,with extra bad blood thrown in.Some lads will get suspensions and deservedly so,but lets leave it at that.

That nicely sums it up boojangles.

Brolly was way out of order yesterday...praising Doherty cause he knows him and he's a fine gael, nice fella and does work in the community!!! WTF, his actions can't be dismissed cause of that, this fella was red carded last year as well if I recall. Was he nice then as well? But Dick is nasty according to Brolly and obviously doesn;t do enough community work and isn;t  a real gael.

Brolly and Tohill last night where trying to take the heat out of Derrys antics and shift the blame to Monaghan, It took two to tango and Monaghans disciplinery record on all fronts would be good. There hasn't been too many club games abandoned (bar one) over the last few years in Monaghan. It seems a regular enough event in Derry.

Irrelevant, bitter and nonsensical. Good stuff  :D

No doubt its so regular you'll provide a long list for us  :D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

screenmachine

Quote from: Schkite on May 25, 2009, 02:24:27 PM
Quote from: the green man on May 25, 2009, 02:16:07 PM
There hasn't been too many club games abandoned (bar one) over the last few years in Monaghan. It seems a regular enough event in Derry.

I dont recall any

What about the match between Slaughtneil and Ballinderry last year? That's one off the top of my head.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/1009/derry.html

That game wasn't abandoned.  I don't seem to remember any being abandoned either recently.  Can you think of any more of the top of your head there while your at it?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Schkite on May 25, 2009, 02:24:27 PM
Quote from: the green man on May 25, 2009, 02:16:07 PM
There hasn't been too many club games abandoned (bar one) over the last few years in Monaghan. It seems a regular enough event in Derry.

I dont recall any

What about the match between Slaughtneil and Ballinderry last year? That's one off the top of my head.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/1009/derry.html

not abandoned lad

you boys are really scraping the barrel now  :D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

RMDrive

Quote from: Schkite on May 25, 2009, 01:02:02 PM
Quote from: unforgiven on May 25, 2009, 12:49:59 PM

My viewing of the incident was that the ball went out of play and hopped over the fence.  Hughes came chasing the ball and deliberately pushed the spectator.  Looked like he deserved to be punched if that was the case

Yeah just like McManus deserved to get a knee in the balls for the "rugby tackle"  ::)

I didn't see the incident, but if a Derry supporter was acting the bollix and holding onto the ball when we needed it back quickly, Hughes had every right to go in and force it from him. As I say I didn't see it but if he pushed him he had a reason to, he's not a dirty player and you'll notice he didn't partake in any of the bullshit on the field that's we're discussing today, I wouldn't think he'd jump into the crowd and push someone for no reason. But punching a player is wrong, I doubt Hughes deserved it if this story is true.

No he doesn't. Under any circumstances. No matter what the fan may have done. End of story. If players are led to believe that spectators are fair game then we will be in even bigger trouble than we are today.

Stalin

how many more biters is saffronsam gonna get before you realise its a windup?

schkite we are all waiting on you coming back to us with a game that was abandoned recently? sure its a regular enough occurrence
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Stalin on May 25, 2009, 02:34:29 PM

schkite we are all waiting on you coming back to us with a game that was abandoned recently? sure its a regular enough occurrence
I just think it's a sad indictment of the state of Monaghan football that they've had to abandon a club championship game in the last few years - is this what banty's reign has brought to Monaghan football - where will it all end??

Schkite

Jesus...right first of all I didn't say it was a regular occurrence.

And I was only talking about that game as one that had alot of suspensions out of it, I wasn't on about it being abandoned. I misread bingobus' post, so shoot me.

Schkite

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 25, 2009, 02:41:01 PM
Quote from: Stalin on May 25, 2009, 02:34:29 PM

I just think it's a sad indictment of the state of Monaghan football that they've had to abandon a club championship game in the last few years - is this what banty's reign has brought to Monaghan football - where will it all end??

Just to clarify, it wasn't a championship game, twas a league game. Not that it makes any difference at all but when we're picking holes in posts here I thought I'd join in.

RMDrive

Cass has a reputation for playing a particular style of effective, if not overly-attractive, football; he i snot reknowned for preparing teams to win by common thuggery. By this stage, McEnaney certainly is. The blame for yesterday's events lies almost entirely with how the GAA has failed to deal with this Monaghan squad.

Whilst you can look at individual incidents involving Derry, you have to look at the whole ethos of the Monaghan team and I would encourage the heirarchy of the GAA to consider excluding Monaghan from the qualifier draw. I certainly wouldn't want them and their tactics sullying the hallowed turf of Casement Park later this summer.

Saffron cop the f**k on will ya.I was at the game yesterday as a neutral(Cavan man) and I seen bad incidents from both sides.Both teams played on the edge and at times it wasnt pretty but it was Ulster football,played at an intensity which at times was brilliant. Blaming Monaghan solely for yesterdays spectacle and saying they shud be left out of the Qualifiers is totally outrageous.I tell ya one thing,I would love if my club played with the same intensity that either team played with yesterday.No Quarter asked No Quarter given.Let the Media go to town and highlight the bad incidents,and rightly so.But dont talk as if yesterdays game is alien to us,its not,it was Ulster football,with extra bad blood thrown in.Some lads will get suspensions and deservedly so,but lets leave it at that.

Big Joe summed it up for me last night when he said ... "There's a manliness in the Ulster Championship. There was no manliness there today."
And as an Ulster man, I can definitely say that it was alien to me.

cameltohill

this thread should not have made over 50 pages.
i will now make my conclusions and reccomendations and there will be no more talk of it from here on in

it was an ugly game of football on both teams part. both as bad as each other, those who did wrong will be punished in due course

the better team one on the day. case closed

now it is time to focus on the next match for both teams.

Stalin

Quote from: cameltohill on May 25, 2009, 02:47:57 PM
this thread should not have made over 50 pages.
i will now make my conclusions and reccomendations and there will be no more talk of it from here on in

it was an ugly game of football on both teams part. both as bad as each other, those who did wrong will be punished in due course

the better team one on the day. case closed

now it is time to focus on the next match for both teams.

That's that then.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

JMohan

Quote from: RMDrive on May 25, 2009, 02:45:23 PM

Big Joe summed it up for me last night when he said ... "There's a manliness in the Ulster Championship. There was no manliness there today."

I'd have to agree with him

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: RMDrive on May 25, 2009, 02:45:23 PM

I wonder would he care to explain why he behaved like an alien in 1986 in Cross in an Ulster club c'ship V bellaghy.

orangeman

GAA set to view Celtic Park video  

Kevin McGuckin and Thomas Freeman have a wrestling match at Celtic Park
GAA disciplinary bosses look likely to use video evidence to view a number of incidents from Sunday's Ulster SFC clash between Derry and Monaghan.

Derry's Fergal Doherty was sent off and there are several other incidents which are expected to be viewed by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

Oak Leaf sub Brian Mullan appeared to knee Monaghan's Conor McManus in the groin area during a second-half tussle.

Monaghan's Thomas Freeman also appeared to clash with Derry's Kevin McGuckin.

There have also been media reports that a Monaghan player was struck by a supporter midway through the second half of the bad-tempered Celtic Park encounter.

Doherty received his marching orders after shouldering Monaghan's Gary McQuaid in the chest in an effort to get the ball, following the awarding of a free to Derry.

The Derry captain was also caught on camera, aiming a kick at Dick Clerkin and the respective midfielders were in each other's faces for the entire game.

Croke Park refused to comment on the incidents on Monday with GAA president Christy Cooney saying that it would be inappropriate to say anything which "could interfere with due process".

However, precedent suggests that the CCCC, now chaired by Tyrone man Seamus Woods, will study the match video and it will not be a surprise if a number of players are asked to explain various actions.

Despite the chorus of criticism directed at the teams after the game, Derry manager Damien Cassidy made no apologies for his team's approach.

"It was a battle but it was not going to be anything else," said a delighted Derry boss.

All we care about is the result and that's all that matters in this game

Derry manager Damien Cassidy
"People sitting at home may be complaining about the quality of football but we are not in the buisness of entertaining people.

"This is an amateur game - you sacrifice your working like and your family life and we don't get paid for entertaining people.

"We showed the football we can play in the last 15 minutes but up until then it was a physical game and that's what we expect.

"All we care about is the result and that's all that matters in this game.

"I don't think Fergal should have been sent-off. Someone was holding the ball and he put the shoulder in him and that's part of the game." ??? serious ???

However, Cassidy is now facing the possibility of being short-handed for the Ulster semi-final against Tyrone or Armagh on 21 June if the CCCC opts to take action.

Cassidy already has several injury problems with Enda Muldoon (broken foot), Niall McCusker (groin operation), Sean Marty Lockhart (ankle) all currently out of action.

Sonny Joe

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?