Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: Laoiseabu on July 22, 2017, 11:57:33 AM
Steven seagull that team u have assembled three will not get near out of division 4. None of them young lads are near the required standard they have just been used because we have no one else. James Kelly? Did you see him in the league final? He's not even a club player. Daly is not near the pace required for inter county so overrated  . The reason we are in division 4 is because we are an ageing team and the young lads coming in are no where near good enough to replace them or even better them. Trevor Collins? Seriously were u at the Clare match ? Would he even play well for Graigue in a poor club scene? Ask yourself these questions. The only young lad that came through in the last few years good enough was O Carroll and now he's injured a lot . Sean Moore is a nice player but he will never get away at senior inter county at that size. If all these lads were so good why didn't our u21s beat Offaly then? I'll tell u why cause they are not good enough!! It's a fact of life . We are in limbo. Luttrell ? He's automatically a 'Name' now to be considered just because a disaster of a management set up gave him a run out for the worst Laois team I can remember in the league and O Byrne cup. Just cause you get a run out for a division 4 side dosent mean u are good enough?

So what your saying is it's going to get worse before it gets better. I would agree with a lot of your points . We have taken the eye off the ball at underage level and we are now suffering the consequences of it . One point I don't agree with is writing a player off because he is small or slight. James Moore is the best technically gifted footballer we have produced in years and should be given a chance .

OTF

Quote from: steven seagal on July 22, 2017, 02:29:47 PM
QuoteSteven seagull that team u have assembled three will not get near out of division 4.

First things first, it's Steven Seagal, I've been in films, I'm actually very famous. Secondly, did you even read the post, or did you just pick out the names of lads you don't like and decide to tell us all how sh*te you think they are? I said it could take us a year or two to get out of Division 4 with that team. You might not like the lads coming through, but they are the players we have to work with. The only thing we can do is try to make them better, give them time to play together and support them as best we can.

What's the alternative?

I can't wait to see the alternative.

Tony

I still think we're still producing some nice raw footballers in Laois at underage. The difference is, the game has changed. "Nice" footballers like we have wont cut it anymore. They'll have to be harnessed like Kildare or Dublin youngsters to compete. It's a pity the game has gone in a lot of ways. It wont suit "nice, natural" footballers like Laois traditionally have. Fierce, professional level S&C and tactics are the name of the game nowadays. I think that's a lot to do with our demise at underage. We just haven't kept in line with the growing trends. Again, we would be grand in the 90's - still relatively successful. We'll just have to shadow what the big teams are doing, or else we're going to be passed by. It's unfortunate : about 20 counties are in a similar position to us at the moment. The funding that Dublin are getting just makes a joke of things : they've raised the bar so high that it's almost impossible for other counties with poor resources to compete.

OTF

Quote from: Tony on July 22, 2017, 06:43:33 PM
I still think we're still producing some nice raw footballers in Laois at underage. The difference is, the game has changed. "Nice" footballers like we have wont cut it anymore. They'll have to be harnessed like Kildare or Dublin youngsters to compete. It's a pity the game has gone in a lot of ways. It wont suit "nice, natural" footballers like Laois traditionally have. Fierce, professional level S&C and tactics are the name of the game nowadays. I think that's a lot to do with our demise at underage. We just haven't kept in line with the growing trends. Again, we would be grand in the 90's - still relatively successful. We'll just have to shadow what the big teams are doing, or else we're going to be passed by. It's unfortunate : about 20 counties are in a similar position to us at the moment. The funding that Dublin are getting just makes a joke of things : they've raised the bar so high that it's almost impossible for other counties with poor resources to compete.

Outside of Dublin we've got the highest funding in Leinster

BallyroanAbu

Yep our funding is divided into two codes and we are not discernibly higher than other Leinster counties.  Dublin is in a league of it's own and the rest are quite tightly packed behind in the funding department.  I would think Laois to make serious inroads would need far more than what they are currently receiving.