Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 03:04:22 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 02:29:58 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 01:55:28 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 09:54:57 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 12, 2020, 02:22:46 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 11, 2020, 10:06:01 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 09, 2020, 07:28:26 PM
Looking at our performance for the last 15 minutes I would use a stronger term than odd for the decision.

Some things work and some don't.

Mangers make calls and some things work and some don't. They got a lot of things right this championship but they also got plenty wrong.  It seems to be bothering you i would advise you to forget about it as it's not a decision that cost us the game.
It's a discussion thread about Cavan football where people give opinions. It's true for every manager past and present where some things work and don't, but are we only allowed to discuss some things and not others?
I never said it cost the game. We've had a great year and one to build on but decisions like this don't fill me with confidence and leaves a bad taste in the mouth when we should be buzzing for next year.

You are the only person either on a forum online or from the many i have been talking to about the game who has even mentioned this. Havent even seen it on Hoganstand and there a plenty there who stick the knife in when given the chance.  Is there a personal element to your grievance?
I've spoken to plenty who aren't happy with decision.

Is there a personal element to your grievance, what club are you from?
No personal element and none of your business what club I'm from. The only personal element that I can see on here is that no one is allowed to say anything remotely critical of this management no matter how badly they behave.
If people want to put their total faith in them then fair enough, that's their business but I've yet to see a single response explaining the positives of the decision they went with. There is none. The only response is to shut up and don't question.

That wouldn't be a personal element but anyway management made load of mistakes in the first 3 games in the Ulster Championship that were glossed over by getting to the final and winning it i don't think anyone would argue with that.   

What positives do you want a lad came on and did f**k all it probably wasn't the best decision made all year  but it isn't leaving a bad taste in to many mouths around the county. I think you must be a Ballymachugh looking out for your man.
I'm not Ballymachugh not that it matters but I was just very disappointed for the lad and a few others. End of the day all those players have got Cavan their first senior Ulster medals in 23 years and morale and team spirit were as good as I've seen. Think it was very disrespectful messing with a winning squad like that just before an AI semi. It was only ever going to blow up in their faces and goes completely against the mantra they've been preaching since last summer that only total commitment accepted and if you don't put in the hard yards you won't make the panel.

The squad had changes every match.  What about Niall Murray brought on against Monaghan and took of and didn't look half fit where was the bad taste then?  Stephen Murray back for the semi final. I'm sure them lads along with Conor Brady showed total commitment to get themselves back fit and if they are passed as fit by physio/doctor or whoever they have every right to be part of the squad if management think they can make a difference.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 03:52:56 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 03:30:44 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 03:04:22 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 02:29:58 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 01:55:28 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 09:54:57 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 12, 2020, 02:22:46 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 11, 2020, 10:06:01 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 09, 2020, 07:28:26 PM
Looking at our performance for the last 15 minutes I would use a stronger term than odd for the decision.

Some things work and some don't.

Mangers make calls and some things work and some don't. They got a lot of things right this championship but they also got plenty wrong.  It seems to be bothering you i would advise you to forget about it as it's not a decision that cost us the game.
It's a discussion thread about Cavan football where people give opinions. It's true for every manager past and present where some things work and don't, but are we only allowed to discuss some things and not others?
I never said it cost the game. We've had a great year and one to build on but decisions like this don't fill me with confidence and leaves a bad taste in the mouth when we should be buzzing for next year.

You are the only person either on a forum online or from the many i have been talking to about the game who has even mentioned this. Havent even seen it on Hoganstand and there a plenty there who stick the knife in when given the chance.  Is there a personal element to your grievance?
I've spoken to plenty who aren't happy with decision.

Is there a personal element to your grievance, what club are you from?
No personal element and none of your business what club I'm from. The only personal element that I can see on here is that no one is allowed to say anything remotely critical of this management no matter how badly they behave.
If people want to put their total faith in them then fair enough, that's their business but I've yet to see a single response explaining the positives of the decision they went with. There is none. The only response is to shut up and don't question.

That wouldn't be a personal element but anyway management made load of mistakes in the first 3 games in the Ulster Championship that were glossed over by getting to the final and winning it i don't think anyone would argue with that.   

What positives do you want a lad came on and did f**k all it probably wasn't the best decision made all year  but it isn't leaving a bad taste in to many mouths around the county. I think you must be a Ballymachugh looking out for your man.
I'm not Ballymachugh not that it matters but I was just very disappointed for the lad and a few others. End of the day all those players have got Cavan their first senior Ulster medals in 23 years and morale and team spirit were as good as I've seen. Think it was very disrespectful messing with a winning squad like that just before an AI semi. It was only ever going to blow up in their faces and goes completely against the mantra they've been preaching since last summer that only total commitment accepted and if you don't put in the hard yards you won't make the panel.

The squad had changes every match.  What about Niall Murray brought on against Monaghan and took of and didn't look half fit where was the bad taste then?  Stephen Murray back for the semi final. I'm sure them lads along with Conor Brady showed total commitment to get themselves back fit and if they are passed as fit by physio/doctor or whoever they have every right to be part of the squad if management think they can make a difference.
Yeah. Or maybe a "personal element" didn't do his prospects any harm.

rodney trotter

Looking into 21, I think a few could be added to strengthen the panel. Patrick Lynch, Caoimhin Reilly, 
Caoimhin McGovern will be eligible next year. They would add to the forward options.

Niall Mcdermott was asked in but couldn't commit. Maybe that will change.

If you added a few of those with McVeety back it would give good options inside. Cormac Reilly, Oisin Pierson and Conor Smith are good players but competition would help too.

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 14, 2020, 04:45:49 PM
Looking into 21, I think a few could be added to strengthen the panel. Patrick Lynch, Caoimhin Reilly, 
Caoimhin McGovern will be eligible next year. They would add to the forward options.

Niall Mcdermott was asked in but couldn't commit. Maybe that will change.

If you added a few of those with McVeety back it would give good options inside. Cormac Reilly, Oisin Pierson and Conor Smith are good players but competition would help too.
Yeah I think the team picked itself pretty much in the Championship bar one or two spots. The likes of Clarke and the Murray's I don't think were fully up to speed either so you'd hope they'll up it for next year. Those players you mentioned certainly could add something and hopefully the ones that were in come back fitter and stronger. Would be nice to see a high flying Moynagh back too and maybe in defence the likes of Timoney to have a breakthrough year or maybe even a surprise packet come out of nowhere.
I think promotion is a very realistic target. In fact I'd say there'd be some disappointment if we fell short of that and barring any more drop outs and providing we strengthen, I think we'll achieve it.
Very interested to see how we go in the Championship next year and hope we can show more of the fire we had this year and try solidify our position at the top of the chasing pack to Tyrone and Donegal (no disrespect to Monaghan but I think some transition time could be on the way for them). Management will want to build on the year too and prove it wasn't a once off. I've heard plenty label Graham as a very lucky manager but I don't think that's a fair assessment and his achievements are there for all to see. Others have said winter football probably suits us and in a typical year we would not have replicated it on the speedier pitches of June/July. Maybe they have a point, maybe it's sour grapes, but I would definitely like to see a bit more mobility in our defence especially.
So lots to look forward to. We have youth, experience, plenty of talent and young lads to break through plus we also have the DVD of the Donegal match to get us over the Xmas!!!!
Happy Xmas and New Year to team, management and all our supporters and posters.

Itchy

For me we have to win Div3, get to croke Park and win a trophy there. The good thing for next year is that any player returning will have their work cut out. Moynagh is a player I like but who in our current back 6 does he bump out. Even mcvitty will need to work hard to get back in.

One player I often wondered about is Cian Madden, he was by far the most exciting prospect in that minor team that lost the AI semi final. I'm not close to club football anymore but is he still playing. I was sure he was going to be a star, maybe he still can be.

rodney trotter

The heavier pitch might be a point, but that's up to Cavan next year to prove it isn't. Though I don't think Mullinachta would have won Leinster 2 years ago if it was played in June or July.
Operating in Division 3 will be a lower base going into the Championship. 4 Counties from Ulster in Division 1 next. year. Need to go in with momentum and promotion.

Tyrone and Donegal will still be the teams to beat. Tyrone under new management and with McShane back will probaly be favourites. McKenna and Canavan adding to the attack too.

Look-Up!

I think Moynagh is a whole hearted player and has decent speed to him. If fully fit and committed he'd be hard kept out of team. Same with McVeety. Cian Madden played in this year's championship anyway, not sure what's the story with him. Very good free taker. Think he was operating around the middle the last time I saw him.
Division 3 is a tricky one. It's definitely a level we should be looking to get out of but a bad day or two at the office could ruin our chances. Throw in a couple of local derbies. Fermanagh, Longford. Then teams like Derry, Tipperary. Even if we get someone like Limerick away, it's a place we've often struggled in. So there's plenty of potential banana skins depending on the draw but if we are on form from the start and take no one likely our stints in the top two divisions should make us favourites to come up.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 14, 2020, 07:52:30 PM
The heavier pitch might be a point, but that's up to Cavan next year to prove it isn't. Though I don't think Mullinachta would have won Leinster 2 years ago if it was played in June or July.
Operating in Division 3 will be a lower base going into the Championship. 4 Counties from Ulster in Division 1 next. year. Need to go in with momentum and promotion.

Tyrone and Donegal will still be the teams to beat. Tyrone under new management and with McShane back will probaly be favourites. McKenna and Canavan adding to the attack too.

I dont agree on Tyrone. I think Harte has been there so long, the whole place built up around him and in his way. A new management team trying to do something different will struggle. Its will be like when Ferguson left man utd or when wenger left arsenal. I think Tyrone will be in a change mode for a few seasons. Dont get me wrong, they will still be very decent but I think they will cease to be the threat they were under Harte. They will be crying for him back within 12 months!

Look-Up!

I think Harte's time was up and Tyrone need a fresh voice and ideas. I'm just not sure on joint managers. I don't think it's a good idea and a fallout is more likely than great success.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on December 15, 2020, 01:37:33 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 14, 2020, 07:52:30 PM

I dont agree on Tyrone. I think Harte has been there so long, the whole place built up around him and in his way. A new management team trying to do something different will struggle. Its will be like when Ferguson left man utd or when wenger left arsenal. I think Tyrone will be in a change mode for a few seasons. Dont get me wrong, they will still be very decent but I think they will cease to be the threat they were under Harte. They will be crying for him back within 12 months!

Logan managed a few of them at U21. They won the All Ireland U21 under him.  Though its strange that it's joint managers. Dooher was a selector with the U21s.
Tyrone have a history of appointing joint managers, before Mickey Harte they had Art McCrory and McKenna

There was also players not involved under Harte who'll  probaly get a chance under a new manager like Lee Beenham and probaly others. A fresh voice might give them a lift. Not too much of a lift hopefully

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on December 14, 2020, 07:31:32 PM
For me we have to win Div3, get to croke Park and win a trophy there. The good thing for next year is that any player returning will have their work cut out. Moynagh is a player I like but who in our current back 6 does he bump out. Even mcvitty will need to work hard to get back in.

One player I often wondered about is Cian Madden, he was by far the most exciting prospect in that minor team that lost the AI semi final. I'm not close to club football anymore but is he still playing. I was sure he was going to be a star, maybe he still can be.

I think McVeety walks back onto that team. I'm sure management won't let him stroll back in and hand him a starting jersey, he'll be made to look like he's worked for it but realistically with any sort of training he strolls into any position he wants in our front 6.

I was having that conversation about Madden with a friend recently. I looked back at some of the videos from that year, he really was outstanding. One of the most talented minor forwards I've ever seen play for Cavan, a bit like Mackey when he was minor. I think he opted out when asked into the Senior Panel a couple of years ago. Doesn't seem to have kicked on in club football as Smith and Timoney did. Maybe the interest just wasn't there to push on. As you say though, hopefully he will.

rodney trotter

Madden was asked in last year but opted to concentrate with the U20s. He didn't really stand out this year at club level, but still has time 21.

James Brady has been Ramor best forward in the past couple of years.  He would be another contender to call up.

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 16, 2020, 01:44:46 PM
Madden was asked in last year but opted to concentrate with the U20s. He didn't really stand out this year at club level, but still has time 21.

James Brady has been Ramor best forward in the past couple of years.  He would be another contender to call up.
James Brady good call.

Was Madden played out of position because of injuries with Gowna?

Look-Up!

What were people's thoughts on the match yesterday?

Although Mayo put in a great performance I found the game boring enough and always felt the result inevitable. Dublin never hit the heights and although the westerners never let them take off I felt they were comfortable enough and there was another gear there if needed. Once the substitutions came on for both teams after the 50/60 min mark or so Mayo fell flat and Dublin kicked on.

Dublin are a great team and have been given all the plaudits. Pundits have lauded them as great ambassadors and playing the game the way it should be played etc. That was true up to a few years ago but now I just find them incredibly boring. For all their talents they take zero risks. Against an opponent who may bear some teeth it's death by a thousand cuts. Everything is controlled, recycle and wait for the high percentage option. Even the younger lads like COC who lit up games when they first came on the scene have morphed into the stereotypical Dublin footballer. Their U20s were beaten yesterday but they will get plenty more top seniors out of that group.

Can't see them going away anywhere. For all the flak that Meath and Kildare get, thank God we're not in Leinster is all I'll say.

marty34

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 20, 2020, 01:34:13 PM
What were people's thoughts on the match yesterday?

Although Mayo put in a great performance I found the game boring enough and always felt the result inevitable. Dublin never hit the heights and although the westerners never let them take off I felt they were comfortable enough and there was another gear there if needed. Once the substitutions came on for both teams after the 50/60 min mark or so Mayo fell flat and Dublin kicked on.

Dublin are a great team and have been given all the plaudits. Pundits have lauded them as great ambassadors and playing the game the way it should be played etc. That was true up to a few years ago but now I just find them incredibly boring. For all their talents they take zero risks. Against an opponent who may bear some teeth it's death by a thousand cuts. Everything is controlled, recycle and wait for the high percentage option. Even the younger lads like COC who lit up games when they first came on the scene have morphed into the stereotypical Dublin footballer. Their U20s were beaten yesterday but they will get plenty more top seniors out of that group.

Can't see them going away anywhere. For all the flak that Meath and Kildare get, thank God we're not in Leinster is all I'll say.

But that's what it's all about - they are that good, they are boring.

They play the game in the correct manner, the shooter in the best position always gets the ball and they have a fantastic skills set.