Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Quote from: Swadman on February 15, 2012, 12:57:44 PM
I wonder could the "outcast team" play in the Leinster Junior Championship ? or is that happening again this year ?

Imagine if they lost.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Richiej

It would be a pity after waiting so long for some underage success the young players would become disillusioned with the senior setup. It happened in Laois where underage success couldn't be transformed into the Senior setup. I hope Andrews doesn't rush players like jack Brady and packie leddy and others straight into the senior team when the u21 are over. Yes by all means blood the with 20 mins here and there .this whole blending of youngsters and discarding of so called older should and could have been done alot slower. This year and last year has shown too much inconsistent chop and change.Its easier all around to drop players for a game or two or three than discard them completely from the panel just to implement a quick fire plan.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 15, 2012, 12:04:49 PM
That team looks very like last years team.  How did we do?

Nobody is saying that,that team should start for Cavan DF, however many of those players do still have a part to play at senior level for Cavan.
The 20 man Cavan team+subs which played against Longford is the weakest i have seen in my time following Cavan football.

Westside

Quote from: Richiej on February 15, 2012, 12:00:58 PM
In an interview in the Celt Andrews talks of making progress. His idea of progress is we didn't lose to longford last Sunday by as much as we lost to them last summer. Yes I've been Andrews no1 critic. But lord does that statement not sum him up. This can't go on. There players walking off panel left right and centre. Something seriously wrong. Surely they all can't want to play with Kildare!!!!!

Left right and centre? We have had 2 players walk from what I can see.. Not enough to cover the bare minimum of 3 required to fulfill that expression.

Lads 2 losses to two decent sides and we have mass hysteria.. We weren't going to be realistic promotion candidates with such a young side. This phenomenon of players suddenly becoming superstars when they are not on the panel/team is ludicrous. It's like when Andy Reid suddenly became Lionel Messi in people's eyes when Trap left him out.

Players crying off when they aren't getting their place isn't a great sign of their character either in my opinion. Especially so early in the year.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Westside on February 15, 2012, 06:00:38 PM
In an interview in the Celt Andrews talks of making progress. His idea of progress is we didn't lose to longford last Sunday by as much as we lost to them last summer. Yes I've been Andrews no1 critic. But lord does that statement not sum him up. This can't go on. There players walking off panel left right and centre. Something seriously wrong. Surely they all can't want to play with Kildare!!!!!

Left right and centre? We have had 2 players walk from what I can see.. Not enough to cover the bare minimum of 3 required to fulfill that expression.

Lads 2 losses to two decent sides and we have mass hysteria.. We weren't going to be realistic promotion candidates with such a young side. This phenomenon of players suddenly becoming superstars when they are not on the panel/team is ludicrous. It's like when Andy Reid suddenly became Lionel Messi in people's eyes when Trap left him out.

Players crying off when they aren't getting their place isn't a great sign of their character either in my opinion. Especially so early in the year.

would tend to agree with a fair bit of that assessment all right. we started off the season as favourites with the bookies for relegation to Division 4, we've lost two games and lads that were praising Andrews for a long overdue cleanout are now heading for the exits and calling for the return of blokes that were involved in the shameful campaign of the last 3 years. Ask yourself why we have an inexperienced panel and I will give you one possible answer. There is not ONE lad playing football in the County aged more then 23 years that has won ANYTHING in a Cavan jersey. I was at the Wexford game, good game of footy that, despite all the shite defending errors could actually have been won with a few lucky breaks (Wexford, by the way, are clear favourites to return to Division 2 with the bookies s).

Is it an inexperienced panel, yes, for reasons stated above. However, in the Wexford game we had the following available for selection.....James Reily, Flanagan, Fannin, Podge Reilly, McCutcheon, Mckeever, Cullivan. Now I'm assuming the reason they didn't all start was based on what was seen on the training ground. How many more do we bring in before we might as well just revert back to last year.

Final point -McKeever leaving the panel??? a bit like Sheridan and Lyng rejoining the panel. Fair bit of oul nonsense being talked it seems.

To quote the maestro, Rant Over
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

Well Fintain trained all winter and then another keeper comes back in and takes his place without doing much training.
McCutcheon is supposed to have quiet because Andrews told him that he didnt rate him.

Thats quitting because they have a bit of pride in themselves as far as i can see.

At the start i was willing to give Andrew the benifit of the doubt but i dont think he has a clue what he is at and should be got rid of ASAP.

mylestheslasher

I have to say I am torn on the issue of Andrews. I agree when he makes moves to cut the big egos that have been hanging around the panel. I back him when he cuts 6 players as I assume he has his reasons - like why cut some of your most skillful players if there is not a reason. However, leaving that aside we have to consider his management ability...

- Last year against Donegal was the most pathetic tactical effort I ever seen, playing sweepers when you are getting hammered for example. Especially when you consider Hylands u21's had developed a tactic to beat Donegals tactics and the senior set-up comes up with this.
- His boasts that we scored more than anyone against Donegal were pathetic.
- The performance against Longford last year was worse than shocking. No fight anywhere on the field. My worst moment as a Cavan fan.
- This year we have players walking away. Is it logical to assume a lad who spends all winter in the gym, 5 days a week, then walks away for no reason a few games in for no reason. I find that hard to believe.
- As Richie says his after match interviews are rambling waffle. Muttering that we are improving, not sure when the next game is. If I were a player watching some of that I be wondering what sort of a clown was over us. A manager should be clear, confident and concise and at least sound like he has a plan.
- He has at least one selector I wouldn't let near an U12 team.

Richiej

One or two wins especially one at home would do wonders for those young lads confidence. It would be a massive boost , better than 10 training sessions. Because doubts are probably beginning to creep in to those lads minds now. Maybe players going back to their clubs for the next two weeks will freshen them up a bit. Because I think the Sligo game could make our break the season depending on the result. Will there be any fresh faces from the next two local league games that the management might find. It will be interesting to see what club game Andrews goes to this weekend. If any!

Breffni_Yank

Just seen the college results from yesterday. 4 Cavan lads involved in the DCU-DIT game and 3 played with Sligo IT.

Think I asked this before but are Jack Brady and Alan O'Mara in with the seniors? Both are playing regularly with their college since January.

Martin Reilly played for DIT as well. Where has he gone?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=162136

Dougal

jack brady is with the u21s alan might be called in now that fintan has opted out.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

anglocelt39

As Richie says his after match interviews are rambling waffle. Muttering that we are improving, not sure when the next game is. If I were a player watching some of that I be wondering what sort of a clown was over us. A manager should be clear, confident and concise and at least sound like he has a plan.

Not so sure I'd use a managers performance in front of the media as much of a basis for judging him. If I did I'd be giving Sir Alex, Signor Trap and King Kenny their marching orders straight away. Maybe it's more important in the amateur sport that is GAH but can't see why. judge him at the end of the league is my suggestion and starting from a position that promotion expectations were wildly optimistic based on what the Lexus and Beemer driving bookies were and are offering by way of odds..

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 16, 2012, 10:30:15 PM
As Richie says his after match interviews are rambling waffle. Muttering that we are improving, not sure when the next game is. If I were a player watching some of that I be wondering what sort of a clown was over us. A manager should be clear, confident and concise and at least sound like he has a plan.

Not so sure I'd use a managers performance in front of the media as much of a basis for judging him. If I did I'd be giving Sir Alex, Signor Trap and King Kenny their marching orders straight away. Maybe it's more important in the amateur sport that is GAH but can't see why. judge him at the end of the league is my suggestion and starting from a position that promotion expectations were wildly optimistic based on what the Lexus and Beemer driving bookies were and are offering by way of odds..

All I'm saying is the signs are not good. Waiting till the end of the league is fine but what do we do then if we are relegated? It will be too late to do anything before the championship won't it. Very hard to know what to do.

There is a 2 page spread on seanie Johnston saga in the celt this week. No one comes out of it looking good buy for me Johnston comes out very badly. (i would say that is what some of ye are thinking but maybe read it first and make your own minds up) 

Edit - just saw its online too
http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/gaelicfootball/articles/2012/02/15/4009016-seanie-we-hardly-knew-ye--and-now-youre-gone/

Dougal

just after hearing that seanie only has to be a resident in kildare for 183 days (half) of the year.if he was to only live there every friday saturday and sunday he would only have 27 days to make up,which shouldnt be too hard to do when he'll have 3 months holidays.it would mean only 1 commute a week which isnt as unbelievable as being told he lives in kildare full time.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Denn Forever

No one came out of that article well.  It seemed like Fitzpatrick was a bitter man and it was like a "hatchet job" on Johnson.

Hes gone so lets get on with things now.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

anglocelt39

Bitter and twisted enough journalism by Anglo Celt standards I'd have thought. Anyway what I found most interesting was the resume of the elite manager (so we are told) K McGeeney. Sure maybe we can pick him up as the new messiah when his time is up in Kildare, which it seems will be sooner, not later

Despite overseeing relegation and his failure to deliver a Leinster title or even gain a championship victory over a blue-blood team like Dublin, Meath, Kerry, Galway or Tyrone in four years, McGeeney has been hailed as a messiah and his team have been regulary mentioned among the top four in the land, even though they're not even in the top flight of the league.
That's way off the mark, as you suspect the man himself knows, and their opening league form - heavy defeats against Tyrone and Monaghan - confirms. The smart money is on McGeeney to be gone from Kildare by season's end, regardless of what the denouement to that season is, and he is absolutely desperate to go out on a high