2021 Tailteann Cup

Started by Angelo, December 22, 2020, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote-For teams in Div 3 and 4 of the football league at the end of the 2021 league season (i.e. AFTER promotion/Relegation process), that DO NOT reach their respective Provincial Finals

-Preliminary Round(s) to be organized if more than 16 eligible teams

-If NY are allowed participate, they will be drawn against an eligible team defeated in either Round 1 or a Quarter final of the Provincial Championships – game date May 16 (this may be a preliminary Qualifier if more than 16 teams eligible).

-Recommended that Provincial Champions from the previous year – regardless of whether they are Division 3 or 4 Counties or not – are automatically included in Sam Maguire Qualifiers even if they do not qualify for their provincial final in 2021

-Recommended if NY are involved, their game(s) will be in Ireland.

-Rounds – Prelim Round (if required), Round 1, Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Final

-Semi Finals on Sunday June 6th – Croke Park double header; will be only significant games in the calendar on that date

-Final to be a curtain raiser to the All Ireland Hurling Semi Final on June 26/27

Am I correct as saying Cavan will be involved if they don't make the Ulster final?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

One of the lads over on Cavan page put this up, apparently it is on the GAA Website...

"Recommended that Provincial Champions from the previous year – regardless of whether they are Division 3 or 4 Counties or not – are automatically included in Sam Maguire Qualifiers even if they do not qualify for their provincial final in 2021"

Even if that is not the case, looking at the text of your post it would appear that Cavan could also avoid the 2nd Tier by getting promoted from Div 3, which for me is a priority for them anyway.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on December 22, 2020, 11:18:07 AM
One of the lads over on Cavan page put this up, apparently it is on the GAA Website...

"Recommended that Provincial Champions from the previous year – regardless of whether they are Division 3 or 4 Counties or not – are automatically included in Sam Maguire Qualifiers even if they do not qualify for their provincial final in 2021"

Even if that is not the case, looking at the text of your post it would appear that Cavan could also avoid the 2nd Tier by getting promoted from Div 3, which for me is a priority for them anyway.

I actually see it in my original post anyway that Cavan and Tipp will be in the proper Championship.

So if Cavan and/or Tipp fail to get promotion, a team that goes up from Div 3 will miss out?

I'm not really for this competition but will be interesting to see how it goes and what they buy in will be like.

Derry would look like the overwhelming favourites from here if they get their main men all committing but also depends on who goes down from Div 2.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: Itchy on December 22, 2020, 11:18:07 AM

I actually see it in my original post anyway that Cavan and Tipp will be in the proper Championship.

So if Cavan and/or Tipp fail to get promotion, a team that goes up from Div 3 will miss out?

I'm not really for this competition but will be interesting to see how it goes and what they buy in will be like.

Derry would look like the overwhelming favourites from here if they get their main men all committing but also depends on who goes down from Div 2.
As far as I can make out Cavan and Tipp won't be involved depending on what they mean by "recommended". Is there still another ratification stage?

Reading between the lines it won't effect other promoted teams. They mention if more than 16 teams involved (including NY), which implies there could be less than 16 teams involved if provincial champions and Division 1 & 2 teams are exempt.

I think Derry will be looking for promotion but are in a tough section with Cavan, Fermanagh and Longford. Tipp, Wicklow, Limerick and Offaly the other section. Even if Derry finish second from that 4 they would still fancy their chances of making the final and gaining promotion.

Look-Up!

At this stage I'd be keeping an open mind on this Cup and hope it takes off. If teams buy into it, it could be a terrific competition. Division 2 is a minefield and always good for a shock so as mentioned there could be a couple more big names in there yet. But not so big any other of the teams wouldn't give themselves a chance. I think it potentially offers more excitement to the counties involved than going through the back door and prolonging the agony.   

BennyCake

The final to be played before one of the All Ireland hurling semis.

It shows the importance this competition by HQ. Played in front of a few hundred Kilkenny or Waterford hurling fans eating their sandwiches (in a normal year). And probably 2 minutes of highlights on TSG that night.

Really, what is the difference between this and the Tommy Murphy cup?

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on December 22, 2020, 01:25:58 PM

It shows the importance this competition by HQ. Played in front of a few hundred Kilkenny or Waterford hurling fans eating their sandwiches (in a normal year). And probably 2 minutes of highlights on TSG that night.

If that is true (not doubting you) then its a scandal.

In my opinion, it should be played before the AI final instead of minors. All tickets should be equally distributed between the 4 teams competing. No 2 tickets to every club in the world. Its either important or not, playing in front of a hurling audience is an insult.

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on December 22, 2020, 01:28:07 PM

If that is true (not doubting you) then its a scandal.

In my opinion, it should be played before the AI final instead of minors. All tickets should be equally distributed between the 4 teams competing. No 2 tickets to every club in the world. Its either important or not, playing in front of a hurling audience is an insult.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1222/1185956-tailteann-cup-should-be-on-same-day-as-all-ireland/

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on December 22, 2020, 01:28:07 PM

. All tickets should be equally distributed between the 4 teams competing.

God bless yer innocence.
Too many sacred cows would have to be discommoded for that to happen.
Obvious thing to do is play Minor, u20 and Tailteann Finals as a triple header the Saturday of All Ireland weekend.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Look-Up!

Bit of an OG having it with hurling semi-finals. Makes it sound gimmicky.

Double header with AI final would be great but don't think that's practical due to normal ticket demand (although if Dublin keep walking it demand could drop).

If they go with a standalone fixture I think Croker is too big so sticking with HQ, a double or treble header would be the way to go.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 22, 2020, 02:17:35 PM

Double header with AI final would be great but don't think that's practical due to normal ticket demand (although if Dublin keep walking it demand could drop).

If they go with a standalone fixture I think Croker is too big so sticking with HQ, a double or treble header would be the way to go.

Its very practical. But giving 50% of your tickets to random clubs up and down the country and elsewhere is the killer here. Where there is a will there is a way. Whats being proposed here is the death knell for the competition before it has even started.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on December 22, 2020, 02:28:52 PM

Its very practical. But giving 50% of your tickets to random clubs up and down the country and elsewhere is the killer here. Where there is a will there is a way. Whats being proposed here is the death knell for the competition before it has even started.

I'd agree with this.

I think 90% of tickets should be given to competing counties in the All Ireland finals. In the case outlined above with the Tailteann Cup, you could go 30-30-15-15 between senior teams and Tailteann teams.

But why could we not just have a stand alone day at Croke Park (or another venue) for this final? I don't get this whole Croke Park thing for me. As a player I'd rather play in a packed provincial stadium than a half empty Croke Park.

Does it not diminish the competition itself as being an undercard?

How many counties have their intermediate club final as the precursor for the senior final?

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

I'd agree with this.

I think 90% of tickets should be given to competing counties in the All Ireland finals. In the case outlined above with the Tailteann Cup, you could go 30-30-15-15 between senior teams and Tailteann teams.

But why could we not just have a stand alone day at Croke Park (or another venue) for this final? I don't get this whole Croke Park thing for me. As a player I'd rather play in a packed provincial stadium than a half empty Croke Park.

How many counties have their intermediate club final as the precursor for the senior final?

I played intercounty for a number of years. I would take croke park ten times out of ten. Its the macca. Anything else is second best and playing a 2nd tier compo out of croke park really does undermine its credibility. Any poster who does not understand that Croke Park is the 'field of dreams' for any player simply imo has no appreciation of players aspirations.

Look-Up!

I get what you're saying but to be fair an awful lot of those tickets make their way back to the competing counties anyway. I very much doubt 50% of any attendance at an AI final ever was neutral, not even close. Which adds to the atmosphere.

I'd agree with this.

This absolutely for me but very hard to get away from CP mindset.

Angelo

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on December 22, 2020, 02:46:23 PM

I'd agree with this.

I played intercounty for a number of years. I would take croke park ten times out of ten. Its the macca. Anything else is second best and playing a 2nd tier compo out of croke park really does undermine its credibility. Any poster who does not understand that Croke Park is the 'field of dreams' for any player simply imo has no appreciation of players aspirations.

You'd take a quarter full Croke Park over say a packed Clones?

Flocks of seagulls flying in and out of an empty echoey stadium belittles the status of a big game I think.

Getting to Croke Park is no longer a big deal as far as I can see. Nearly every county has been there at some point in the past 5/6 years.