Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Barney, I believe james nallen will be back unless they do not want him.I agree with you that we are a million miles away from kerry now.They will begin to weaken too though, just like galway,meath and the rest that were once thought invincible.Only time will tell if we have replacements for brady and nallen.Macdonald will not likely be back from what i hear though he is still ok for another few years with the way he is built and keeps himself.If young hanley were to stick around you would imagine there is the makings of a serious player in him,and you could see Mayo coming strong sooner than later.Remember we are in a very poor province with only galway to beat most of the time and that puts us into a quarterfinal.Awin there and you are back in the bigtime very easily,maybe too easily and that has been our problem.

Barney

Mannix, Hanley is a goner for at least 2 years. We have to face facts. On potential alone he looks like being the difference between Sam and no Sam.

Any opinions on Keith Higgins for number 6, and Kilcoyne as permanent free-taker?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on August 30, 2007, 09:00:48 AM
Any opinions on Keith Higgins for number 6, and Kilcoyne as permanent free-taker?

I saw Keith Higgins play at number 6 against us and I was not that impressed. He has a good running game so wing back would suit him much better. He got caught out of position a few times and didnt stop attacks or put in any hits. To be honest the referee was protecting him and he won numerous very soft frees around the middle simply by running into a (light) tackle and going down. Our forwards played bad on the day and he still didnt really stand out.

Definitely not the answer for the county at no 6

Davitt Man

Quote from: Barney on August 30, 2007, 09:00:48 AM

Are you well no way...The man is way to small and light and would get killed, we had nallen at 6 for 10 years and he never got booked!! Thats mayos problem to soft, look at the top teams they have tough men at 6 who are not afraid to hit.

Kerry - Moynihan in his prime, now O'Mahony
Armagh - Geezer
Tyrone - Conor Gormely
Cork - Spillane

rosnarun

QuoteIn reality we are a million miles away from the standard in Croker last Sunday.
no we are 12 months away from playing at that standard, have you forgotten already . Mayo v dublin last year was of at least a high a standard as last sunday.
things are not that bad that a manger who is concentated on cound not improve immessurably. maybe johno will take it seriously now and i hope he is closely watching all the county championship as there is huge talent out there some of it from outside the 'system' or that have fallen away and need to be reappraised . and its definetly time for some players to be allowed to piss or be taken off the pot.
we are still largely dealing with maughans hand johnno needs to go and find his own team and look after them.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayo51

anybody know anything about anthony mulligan who plays full forward for charlestown.i have not seen him play but acccording to reports he has been playing very good this year.just wondering does anybody think that he has county potential as we badly need a big full forward .

Redgreenery

If Nallen is to decide to give it another year, to be honest I cant see him featurig much on the team, would expect him to be on the bench and he might get a run out towards the end of a game if anything, legs are gone on him, sad to say but its true. D Brady brings a physical presence to the team, he might not be a regular starter anymore (even though I wouldnt be surprised if he was) but he could be useful in particular games to just mark a key player on the opposition team (e.g K Donaghy), that is, if he has the pace.

mayoman dan

A good friend of mine is on the Ballina stephenites senior panel and he has told me D Brady will definitley not be back with Mayo next season.

Barney

The notion of Brady as a man-marker is rubbish - he got away with fouling Donaghy throughout the AI Final last year because we were dead and buried. His basic football skills are lacking.

Surely JOM can see that Nallen's legs are gone?

Also believe we need to deploy Barry Moran at midfield. We will never be able to play a game with a target man because most of our players cannot actually kick the ball accurately, if at all. Our principal asset is pace and that is what we need to use.

So the list of potentials so far:

Cafferkey
Parsons
Barrett
Mulligan

We'll need more than that if its not going to be another short Summer. Keep adding to the list. If you were manager who would you ask to trials, give a shot to?

MrB

Quote from: Barney on August 31, 2007, 08:06:57 AM

So the list of potentials so far:

Cafferkey
Parsons
Barrett
Mulligan

We'll need more than that if its not going to be another short Summer. Keep adding to the list. If you were manager who would you ask to trials, give a shot to?

From South Mayo I think you have to look at Ronan McNamara (Davitts), Enda Varley (Garrymore) and Mark Ronaldson (Shrule). In my opinion McNamara is the best midfielder in the county and is also a good free taker from distance. Varley and Ronaldson are very similar players, but one of them ishould be good enough.

Barney

Sadly Ronnie is too small.

Is Varley a smaill man?

OirthearMhaigheo

He is unfortunately, yet another pacy, classy but small Mayo forward. Doubt he would have a major impact.
I think Barry Kelly from Ballagh has to be worth a look. The lad oozes class and is a big man, all he needs is to bulk up a little more, but he would definitely bring something different to the set up.
Tony Mulligan who has already been mentioned is definitely worth a look, doing really well at FF and has plenty of football in him, that would allow us to put Barry Moran back to Midfield where he might be needed more.

Farrandeelin

Regarding the no 6 position, why not give Howley the jersey and see how he copes. If he struggles with it, give it to Heaney and leave Howley in the wing back position.

Agree with Barney re Nallen. He isn't up to standard for inter-county anymore. And as for Kilcoyne as permanent freetaker, it's hard to know. He can kick some awful wides as well as the good ones he puts over. Haven't seen Charlestown play this year but I believe Mulligan played and caused Crossmolina trouble the last day. Give him a go anyway is what I say.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

OirthearMhaigheo

I would have thought Howley has the makings of a top class corner back, I don't think he's nearly big enough to play Centre back at inter-county level though

mayoman dan

I would like to see Howley at wing back and let Higgins and O Malley man the corner back positions.Regarding the no 6 jersey i think Heaney is the man for this position as we have a number of options at midfield and i would hate to see Heaney at fb again.We are in desperate need of a fb and i for one would like to see Ger Cafferky given a shot.Has any fb stood out during the club championship dat could be given a chance?