Provincial club championship

Started by redsetanta, October 23, 2019, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Slaughtneil should be proud of their efforts today. That little bit of extra sharpness around the breakdown and TJ's sharp shooting the difference. But serious performance from an Ulster team shows what is possible with support.

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 06, 2020, 10:29:21 AM
Slaughtneil should be proud of their efforts today. That little bit of extra sharpness around the breakdown and TJ's sharp shooting the difference. But serious performance from an Ulster team shows what is possible with support.

Ballyhale were expected to walk this according to the experts, but very few get an easy ride against the balubas and it proved just that.

The point Rodgers got in the first half along the stand side was as good as anything you'll see anywhere not to mention the goal he got near the end of the second half, only to be outdone by the bull of a man in Colin Fennelly.

TJ was well stifled through due to the work effort of the Sneil defenders but he's class. He dinked a line ball straight into the hand of a team mate 40 yards away which led to a point for Ballyhale. Most professional golfers would have been proud of that..

Didn't get to see the other game...

seafoid

According to wiki Galway lead KK by 13 club hurling wins to 12
Ballyhale could level the series
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 05, 2020, 06:16:57 PM
Maher is some hurler! The rotation and tactics used stifled Thomas's who missed too many chances.

S'neil really gave Ballyhale their full of it, and bar big Fennelly S'neil were the better team for a lot of the game!
Someone needs to tell referees about the 4 steps rule

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 06, 2020, 09:01:00 PM
Maher is some hurler! The rotation and tactics used stifled Thomas's who missed too many chances.

S'neil really gave Ballyhale their full of it, and bar big Fennelly S'neil were the better team for a lot of the game!

They could but a lot of refs are happy enough to allow extra steps when defenders are hanging off an attacker when going in on goal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2020, 11:17:14 PM

They could but a lot of refs are happy enough to allow extra steps when defenders are hanging off an attacker when going in on goal
technical rules still have to be refereed
If the player threw the ball to a teammate while being fouled, what would the ref do?

johnnycool

what came first though, the chicken or the egg?

Defenders dragging caused attackers to take extra steps or the fact that attackers taking extra steps caused defenders to start dragging...

IMO both need stamped out and it will aid a more free flowing game where proper defending comes to the fore again.

I know the likes of Kinnerk and some other coaches actively promote what can only be called the spare arm tackle which Kilkenny were the masters of and no one was brave enough to shout stop when they were in full flow..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 06, 2020, 11:43:31 PM

If the player threw the ball to a teammate while being fouled, what would the ref do?

Throw ball and taking more than four steps (or the time it takes for more than four steps  ::) ) are still fouls and no one is saying it isn't, some ref's will enforce the rules as THEY see fit and some teams catch on very quickly to push the limits, if you ever played you'd have done they same, test the ref, see what he's going to allow you to get away with, and providing he's consistent with his application with both teams then it shouldn't be a problem.

The 4 step rule needs looked at, the speed players are moving at in comparison to before is different. If 6 steps was enforced strictly rather than the currently loosely over 4 steps rule then you might get some headway.

4 steps is probably unfair too, my four steps won't make the same distance as someone at 6"2 so a time period possibly rather than 4 steps or 6

The one thing that neutrals are not discussing at these games is how many steps did he take? Its celebrating the scores the hooks the blocks the tackling, yesterdays games had that in spades, great to see up close
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2020, 02:11:29 PM

Throw ball and taking more than four steps (or the time it takes for more than four steps  ::) ) are still fouls and no one is saying it isn't, some ref's will enforce the rules as THEY see fit and some teams catch on very quickly to push the limits, if you ever played you'd have done they same, test the ref, see what he's going to allow you to get away with, and providing he's consistent with his application with both teams then it shouldn't be a problem.

The 4 step rule needs looked at, the speed players are moving at in comparison to before is different. If 6 steps was enforced strictly rather than the currently loosely over 4 steps rule then you might get some headway.

4 steps is probably unfair too, my four steps won't make the same distance as someone at 6"2 so a time period possibly rather than 4 steps or 6

The one thing that neutrals are not discussing at these games is how many steps did he take? Its celebrating the scores the hooks the blocks the tackling, yesterdays games had that in spades, great to see up close
The rule is 4 steps or the time it would take to take four steps, I believe.

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 07, 2020, 02:30:02 PM

I presume the time it takes 4 steps comes into play when you're not moving.

MR2 when refereeing the time it takes to take 4 steps do you just allow 4 seconds as a rule of thumb?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 07, 2020, 03:40:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 07, 2020, 02:30:02 PM

I presume the time it takes 4 steps comes into play when you're not moving.

MR2 when refereeing the time it takes to take 4 steps do you just allow 4 seconds as a rule of thumb?

You do count it in your head as four seconds maybe that's just because you think 4 seconds should equate to four steps. I'm generous in fairness to the steps rule, and me being a defender initially as a player I would have counted four steps before challenging a player in possession.

Like I said it needs to be looked at properly and enforced.

johnnycool

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 09, 2020, 11:41:14 AM
I'd expect MR2 to be getting 100%;

https://forms.gle/d4nK6FpsoENspKvF7

I haven't opened it up but the guidelines to ref at the top level (intercounty) is around 95% I think, not 100% sure as I'm not bothered in that level..

when I get 5 minutes I'll try it and put up an honest result :)

Milltown Row2

52 out of 65, which isn't great, the ones I got wrong were noting instead of yellow cards, I generally don't show too many cards anyways :)

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 09, 2020, 01:35:25 PM

52 out of 65, which isn't great, the ones I got wrong were noting instead of yellow cards, I generally don't show too many cards anyways :)

42 out of 65, noting rather than yellows and the likes as well as not knowing if hitting a corner flag results in a 65 or line ball. I think that was asked twice.