All of a Sludden

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 21, 2014, 07:38:51 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on June 21, 2014, 07:31:35 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 21, 2014, 06:49:37 PM
Congrats Shamrock Shore! :)

+1

No one saw that one coming.
Must have had your eyes closed then!

I expected a close tight game and a Longford win ( but hoped otherwise) as they at least had a settled team - that counts for a hell of a lot!

People hear fixtures and think of a team by its history rather than the actual abilities of its team!

Nothing to do with history. Derry finished second in Division 1 and then lost the final to one of the best Dublin sides we have seen in many a year. Longford were relegated to Division 4. Maybe the Derry players took Longord +8, but no one outside of Derry would have predicted this.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Qwerty28

Kicking myself for not travelling but superb win, fair play to all concerned. Couldn't see us causing an upset based on the previous 2 outings but suppose thats the beauty of sport, you just never know! Saw Derry in league final and their confidence most have taken an awful hammering both from that and from Donegal beating them at home.

Looking forward to your views Shamrock! Fiar play to you for heading up, was there much of  Longford crowd?

Jinxy

Is this genuinely considered a shock result?
I wasn't shocked when I heard.
Longford always beat Derry.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Qwerty28

Longford were 9/1 beforehand with Derry at 1/20 so shows what the bookies know  ;D

DoireGael

Congrats to the Longford boys.

Tough one to take but I always expected this one to be tight. Your Longford man at 12 was superb, very impressed. Derry really lacked a ruthless edge, a Sean Cavanagh  should have been performed after the Lynch goal. Longford had the shouting boots on and yet again Derry couldn't beat a blanket.

Congrats again.

Wildweasel74

I for one did see this coming and dished out my concerns that the team give out in the week was shocking, i thought a bit of pride in the jersey would pull us over the line, half these lads would kill you in a club league game but not in a county jersey.

All the best to longford, they were the better team and deserved their win, Derry nearly stole it and if they Had it been a travesty. the Derry team were a utter disgrace, and the management i don't expect to be there next year after this.

Derry have only themselves to blames, took Longford for granted showed them no respect, cantered along in 2nd gear most of the 1st half at 7 - 3 up, wouldn't take their points and tried to work goals, that's disrespectful. got cleaned out at midfield, never kicked a ball into the forward line and about 8 players playing out of position, along with injured players playing and injured players on the subs. Derry played the half first half with no sweeper, longford should have scored 2 goals before they actually got 1, No.10 Quinn had a mighty game for Longford and no. 7 Mulligan and No.11 McGee also. Barden and Kavanagh , well played like Barden and Kavanagh.

the end of the day Derry got turned over by a team destined for Division 4, only difference was sometimes pride in a Jersey can over come limitations,
Theres more backbone on a snake or a England team than our lot.

Time for a outside manager and a serious overhaul of Derry football, Minor ,U21 and senior are all a total mess at the minute, there no point going on another year, it will not change, we been on the slide since 2004, pop up once and a while, then get put back in our box by Longford, fermanagh, Monaghan, Cavan etc.

rodney trotter

Quinn has always been a good player, played a years in the AFL with Essendon,. He was playing Centre back in the last couple of years , playing in the half forward line this year and seems to be doing well there. He is probaly more suited there anyway

Wildweasel74

Well Rodney he was the best player on the Field the night, i just hope Longford do themselves Justice there no point beating Derry and go out the next day and get turned over, Happy for Jack Sheedy, hear he was getting a hard enough time down there,

Rossfan

Well done Longford.
Keep it going now. Tipp, Sligo and most likely Antrim and WEXFORD !! are your possible next opponents. I presume ye'll want anyone but effin Wexford. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2014, 08:59:38 PM
Well done Longford.
Keep it going now. Tipp, Sligo and most likely Antrim and WEXFORD !! are your possible next opponents. I presume ye'll want anyone but effin Wexford. ::)

Great chance for Longford to go on a little run.

Jinxy

Quote from: DoireGael on June 21, 2014, 08:40:50 PM

Tough one to take but I always expected this one to be tight. Your Longford man at 12 was superb, very impressed. Derry really lacked a ruthless edge, a Sean Cavanagh should have been performed after the Lynch goal. Longford had the shouting boots on and yet again Derry couldn't beat a blanket.

Congrats again.

You'll have to be more specific, do you mean a cynical dive or a cynical foul?

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on June 21, 2014, 09:04:55 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on June 21, 2014, 08:40:50 PM

Tough one to take but I always expected this one to be tight. Your Longford man at 12 was superb, very impressed. Derry really lacked a ruthless edge, a Sean Cavanagh should have been performed after the Lynch goal. Longford had the shouting boots on and yet again Derry couldn't beat a blanket.

Congrats again.

You'll have to be more specific, do you mean a cynical dive or a cynical foul?

Maybe he meant a beastly run through the heart of a defence?

Jinxy

southderryman

Disappointed but not surprised

Well done to Longford, played much the better football over the piece, kicked some great scores and fully deserved their victory

We almost stole it at the end, but to be honest that would have been a complete injustice on Longford.

In saying that, after lynch's goal, we should never have conceded a goal like we did, suicidal defending.

Hard to take being out of the championship I'm June. Flatter to deceive once again, if ever there was a "league team" it's derry. Plenty to debate about but will save that for the derry thread.

Fair play to Longford, hope you's have a good run.

thebuzz

Fair play Longford you were the better team.

My brothers and son blamed the referee but Derry made lots of mistakes and Longford took their chances very well and played very well.