Drink Driving

Started by Boycey, October 27, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clov

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on October 27, 2015, 10:35:19 PM
Extremely hard to read. Cant even imagine what they are going through. On this topic, is jumping in the car after drinking something many of here would do / have done?

I don't drive so the question never arises for me. I do have a drink with a group of lads on a Tuesday night, 2 of which drive home. Most weeks they have 2 pints, with 2.5 the most i've ever seen them take. From what i can tell its the thought of getting caught over the limit that stops them taking more (even though at 2 they're probably are over already) rather than that they might be a risk to themselves and others.

Thinking about it i do feel a bit uncomfortable knowing that in a small way i'm choosing to endorse/condone their choice to drink and drive. But what can you do?
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

thewobbler

Quote from: Clov on October 28, 2015, 09:17:45 AM
Extremely hard to read. Cant even imagine what they are going through. On this topic, is jumping in the car after drinking something many of here would do / have done?

I don't drive so the question never arises for me. I do have a drink with a group of lads on a Tuesday night, 2 of which drive home. Most weeks they have 2 pints, with 2.5 the most i've ever seen them take. From what i can tell its the thought of getting caught over the limit that stops them taking more (even though at 2 they're probably are over already) rather than that they might be a risk to themselves and others.

Thinking about it i do feel a bit uncomfortable knowing that in a small way i'm choosing to endorse/condone their choice to drink and drive. But what can you do?

Honestly, you should start by separating drink driving from drunk driving. Having 2 pints over 3-4 hours and driving home is not the same thing, not even remotely similar, to drinking a swamp of pints then revving it home. Not even remotely close.

A sober idiot is a much bigger danger in a car than a sensible driver who's teetering on the legal limit. Obviously a drunk idiot is the worst of both worlds.

general_lee

Quote from: thewobbler on October 28, 2015, 10:09:20 AM

Honestly, you should start by separating drink driving from drunk driving. Having 2 pints over 3-4 hours and driving home is not the same thing, not even remotely similar, to drinking a swamp of pints then revving it home. Not even remotely close.

A sober idiot is a much bigger danger in a car than a sensible driver who's teetering on the legal limit. Obviously a drunk idiot is the worst of both worlds.
Really? Drink driving is drink driving. If you're over the limit you're over the limit, no matter what manner you've been drinking. So whether you have had two pints over a few hours or have been on a bender you'll still have the same basic outcome. Worth bearing in mind if you drink one pint in the space of an hour you're already at the legal drink drive limit... Btw who on earth nurses 2 pints over four hours?

Keyser soze

I'm amazed at how good living you all are. I know loads of people who take a lock of pints and drive home a few miles regularly. Most men I know, and a few women would chance it on occasion.

I have lost count of the number of people who would sit to all hours and be up leaving the wains to school/pool/football/party/etc the next morning at all hours

gallsman

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 28, 2015, 11:32:53 AM
I'm amazed at how good living you all are. I know loads of people who take a lock of pints and drive home a few miles regularly. Most men I know, and a few women would chance it on occasion.

I have lost count of the number of people who would sit to all hours and be up leaving the wains to school/pool/football/party/etc the next morning at all hours

There's a word for those people - c***ts.

Clov

Quote from: thewobbler on October 28, 2015, 10:09:20 AM

I don't think there is a qualitative difference between the two - just a quantitative difference. Two pints increases your risk of having an accident (as does driving like an idiot when sober). It impairs your judgment and slows your reflexes.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Keyser soze

Quote from: gallsman on October 28, 2015, 11:49:15 AM

Do you drive? Do you drink?

If the answer to both of these is yes the chances are very high that you have drove when over the limit, I can't understand why people are so holier than thou about this.

Which is not to take away from the immense pain that that family, and many others, have gone through as a result of drink driving accidents.

themac_23

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 28, 2015, 12:18:47 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 28, 2015, 11:49:15 AM

Do you drive? Do you drink?

If the answer to both of these is yes the chances are very high that you have drove when over the limit, I can't understand why people are so holier than thou about this.

Which is not to take away from the immense pain that that family, and many others, have gone through as a result of drink driving accidents.

Its easily done, especially the morning after. i know theres been times when I've had maybe 10 pints the night before and have had to get to work for 9 the following morning and prob still over the limit but chance it anyway. Equally i used to take a pint or 2 after a match in the club and drive home, never any more than 2 pints usually with a couple of pints of water or cordial in-between but was prob still over the limit.

Tony Baloney

Definitely an issue in rural Ireland. Would it be more or less prevalent these days in the north? On one hand I think attitudes have hardened towards it but on the other hand you don't have checkpoints.

general_lee

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 28, 2015, 01:07:02 PM
Definitely an issue in rural Ireland. Would it be more or less prevalent these days in the north? On one hand I think attitudes have hardened towards it but on the other hand you don't have checkpoints.
I would have thought so, certain areas are always crawling with police (Dungiven, cookstown, Derry) and it's still always being reported in the local press... Without wanting to stereotype a lot of the culprits are Eastern European.

I also don't think police go for checkpoints anymore what with social media and Facebook etc people always warn each other of them.

NAG1

Quote from: general_lee on October 28, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 28, 2015, 01:07:02 PM
I would have thought so, certain areas are always crawling with police (Dungiven, cookstown, Derry) and it's still always being reported in the local press... Without wanting to stereotype a lot of the culprits are Eastern European.

I also don't think police go for checkpoints anymore what with social media and Facebook etc people always warn each other of them.

Yeah I think attitudes have changed but still think it is way more common in rural settings than people would even like to admit too.

blewuporstuffed

I definitely think there are a younger generation of people now that are much less likely to drink drive than would have been the case in the past.
In my experience , its the guys that have done it for years that continue to do it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

general_lee

Personally I would see younger, male drivers as a bigger threat on the roads than any drink driver

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: general_lee on October 28, 2015, 01:35:51 PM
Personally I would see younger, male drivers as a bigger threat on the roads than any drink driver
Possibly, but that's a different thing.
I am just saying that younger lads are less likely to drink drive than the older generation, at least that's my experience.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

whitey

I'd be curious as to the percentage of accidents caused by drivers at or marginally above the limit versus those caused by drivers speeding, texting or generally not paying attention.

From afar, this hyper enforcement of OUI Law in the 26 countijes looks more like a money grab than anything else.