Student Finance

Started by tbrick18, February 24, 2024, 02:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

A few years ago in IT a lot of ones would have been < a year in multiple places and you wouldn't bat an eyelid it's so common. Significant rounds of redundancies in multiple places have put paid to that though.

Emmett Greene

Quote from: markl121 on March 05, 2024, 08:03:50 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68469047

Lovely

Hopefully that doesn't go ahead. Doesn't look like it will.

Who can afford £9k per annum for fees? It would make a third level education completely unaffordable. 

imtommygunn

Is that not what it is elsewhere? (If you're Scottish and go to university in Scotland it's free. I don't know if same applies in England or wales though I doubt it.

Milltown Row2

If they add a fiver to the current price of vapes they'll generate more money than that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Harold Disgracey

We got away extremely lucky. My son is studying at UL and is paying €2-3k a year in fees and my daughter is in the 3rd year of a 5 year MEng degree at the University of Edinburgh, because we couldn't prove she was British  :P, she was charged as an EU student £1900 pa compared to the normal £9450! I think Brexit put paid to that loophole.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 05, 2024, 12:50:35 PMWe got away extremely lucky. My son is studying at UL and is paying €2-3k a year in fees and my daughter is in the 3rd year of a 5 year MEng degree at the University of Edinburgh, because we couldn't prove she was British  :P, she was charged as an EU student £1900 pa compared to the normal £9450! I think Brexit put paid to that loophole.

Is rent/accommodation prices not an issue in the south ? I know it is here too
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 05, 2024, 12:56:27 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 05, 2024, 12:50:35 PMWe got away extremely lucky. My son is studying at UL and is paying €2-3k a year in fees and my daughter is in the 3rd year of a 5 year MEng degree at the University of Edinburgh, because we couldn't prove she was British  :P, she was charged as an EU student £1900 pa compared to the normal £9450! I think Brexit put paid to that loophole.

Is rent/accommodation prices not an issue in the south ? I know it is here too

Rent/accommodation is very expensive in the south. Although I believe Limerick (c€6k) isn't as bad as Dublin or Galway. Edinburgh is fairly expensive too.