Has Ireland North/South become a more desirable home?

Started by lfdown2, November 27, 2007, 11:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

read in the irish news that elderly in the north may loose heating fuel benefit, theres no doubt we have become a richer nation overall but with a larger class divide, a disaster of a health system north and south and a lack of 'disposable income services' can we compete with the standard of living elsewhere?

Donagh

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 27, 2007, 11:45:00 AM
read in the irish news that elderly in the north may loose heating fuel benefit, theres no doubt we have become a richer nation overall but with a larger class divide, a disaster of a health system north and south and a lack of 'disposable income services' can we compete with the standard of living elsewhere?

The system in the north might be bad but it is far from a disaster and is nowhere near the depths to which the south has plunged.

Gnevin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index#Top_thirty_countries_.28HDI_range_from_0.965_down_to_0.885.29

Because 4th is just killing us  ::) ::)
How easily people forget what a shit hole this county was 20 years ago and how much of a back water it was 40 years ago
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lfdown2

im not disputing that it has got better, what i am saying is that as wealthy as the country has become there still seems to be defiencies in services, one of the most expensive places to live <ie dublin 13th most expensive city in the world (http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/popups/costofliving/popup05.html)> and for what reason? would you not say in comparision to many other cities below us in that list that dublin (ireland as a whole) has a distinct lack of leisure services, dosnt social life still revolve around the pub?

Gnevin

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 27, 2007, 01:48:58 PM
im not disputing that it has got better, what i am saying is that as wealthy as the country has become there still seems to be defiencies in services, one of the most expensive places to live <ie dublin 13th most expensive city in the world (http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/popups/costofliving/popup05.html)> and for what reason? would you not say in comparision to many other cities below us in that list that dublin (ireland as a whole) has a distinct lack of leisure services, dosnt social life still revolve around the pub?

Their will always be problem its human nature to want to improve things. Yeah it may be the 13th  most expensive but we are well in the top 10 richest countries.

Whats the problem with the Pub? And revovle not really i do plently of other things .

A lack of leisure services you can't walk 5 minute in Dublin with out finding a hall, handball alley, gaa ,rugby,soccer ,golf ,pool .

Quit your moaning .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

deiseach

Gnevin

Quote from: deiseach on November 27, 2007, 02:42:57 PM
Gnevin, prepare to be slaughtered.
Why? I'm not making a board social commentary or saying everything is rosey. Just replying lf's moaning

deiseach

Quote from: Gnevin on November 27, 2007, 02:49:38 PM
Why? I'm not making a board social commentary or saying everything is rosey. Just replying lf's moaning

For suggesting that this country is anything other than the cesspool of the world. Don't you read the Irish Times or listen to Joe Duffy?

Gnevin

Quote from: deiseach on November 27, 2007, 02:51:28 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 27, 2007, 02:49:38 PM

For suggesting that this country is anything other than the cesspool of the world. Don't you read the Irish Times or listen to Joe Duffy?
I'm an Indo and Newstalk 106 man myself .

Rav67

agree with Gnevin, I think we're doing just fine in terms of living standards, well I cant complain anyway, and the health services are hardly that bad.  Try moving to America and seeing what you get for nothing there.