Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

Quote from: Ardstick on October 09, 2023, 02:30:44 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 09, 2023, 08:35:38 AM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on October 08, 2023, 09:15:04 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on October 08, 2023, 07:28:21 PMThat looked a bad enough row between Ballycran & Laotrim in the hurling, supporters over the fence and into the middle of it

I see Liatroim posted on social media that the game was ruined by the ref. Any neutrals see the game and know what that is about?

Wasn't at it but not surprised as I'd predicted something to happen during the week.  ;)

Liatroim were leading pretty well right into injury time when Ballycran scored two very late goals to win it by two points, it would have been a massive shock for Liatroim to win this one but from all accounts a few decisions didn't go their way at the end or as is the case not given to be more precise.

We'll be very interested in how this pans out considering our U15's along with Carryduff got put out of the U15 championship after our match was abandoned for absolutely next to nothing, two young lads rolling around on the ground, with a few other's pushing and shoving. Thing was over in less than 30 seconds.

Easy making an example of a bunch of kids, but lacking fortitude when it comes to the bigger teams!

First they stole the players then they went after the eggs.

For the integrity of the competition a Ballycran win was essential. Over a quarter of the Liatroim team shouldnt even be playing for them. (How this was allowed to happen the County Board has a lot to answer) The managers sons are quality players and should be with their own club in Belfast, McCusker should be with his own club, instead of glory hunting, is more suited to intermediate level anyway.

Imagine being a Liatroim player born and bred and then these outsiders coming in and taking your place, and then to stand back and be treated like an idiot. Pathetic stuff.

Having watched a lot of Ports this year was disappointed with their performance yesterday but still fancy them to get over the line in the final.

My overarching feeling as a Fontenoy over the weekend is immense pride, we were moments away from having 3 codes in adult finals over the coming weekends. The lads hurled brilliantly yesterday and deserved to come away with the result, however that wasn't to be, there is no doubt that questionable decisions put paid to that, however those are to be expected when you head over the water. The positive thing from a east/south down perspective is that the seeds are been sown at underage to develop hurling which can only benefit the county as a whole, whatever the hurling clubs in the ards think. On the previous post, I would have my own personal thoughts on the personnel, however from a club perspective I would argue that any success (relatively speaking, that would be contesting a senior final for us) at adult level can only breed interest at the underage levels, the reality is that the majority of that squad are Liatroim born and bred and the kids along the line yesterday see them at the field every week and as such will wish to emulate that success if/when it can be achieved.

We head in to this week with an intermediate football final and a senior camogie final to look forward to, and a pitch that is hiving every night of the week, so transfers aside I'm content we are heading in the right direction.

johnnycool

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 09, 2023, 03:24:35 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on October 08, 2023, 07:28:21 PMThat looked a bad enough row between Ballycran & Laotrim in the hurling, supporters over the fence and into the middle of it

I see Liatroim posted on social media that the game was ruined by the ref. Any neutrals see the game and know what that is about?

Wasn't at it but not surprised as I'd predicted something to happen during the week.  ;)

Liatroim were leading pretty well right into injury time when Ballycran scored two very late goals to win it by two points, it would have been a massive shock for Liatroim to win this one but from all accounts a few decisions didn't go their way at the end or as is the case not given to be more precise.

We'll be very interested in how this pans out considering our U15's along with Carryduff got put out of the U15 championship after our match was abandoned for absolutely next to nothing, two young lads rolling around on the ground, with a few other's pushing and shoving. Thing was over in less than 30 seconds.

Easy making an example of a bunch of kids, but lacking fortitude when it comes to the bigger teams!

For the integrity of the competition a Ballycran win was essential. Over a quarter of the Liatroim team shouldnt even be playing for them. (How this was allowed to happen the County Board has a lot to answer) The managers sons are quality players and should be with their own club in Belfast, McCusker should be with his own club, instead of glory hunting, is more suited to intermediate level anyway.

Imagine being a Liatroim player born and bred and then these outsiders coming in and taking your place, and then to stand back and be treated like an idiot. Pathetic stuff.

Having watched a lot of Ports this year was disappointed with their performance yesterday but still fancy them to get over the line in the final.

My overarching feeling as a Fontenoy over the weekend is immense pride, we were moments away from having 3 codes in adult finals over the coming weekends. The lads hurled brilliantly yesterday and deserved to come away with the result, however that wasn't to be, there is no doubt that questionable decisions put paid to that, however those are to be expected when you head over the water. The positive thing from a east/south down perspective is that the seeds are been sown at underage to develop hurling which can only benefit the county as a whole, whatever the hurling clubs in the ards think. On the previous post, I would have my own personal thoughts on the personnel, however from a club perspective I would argue that any success (relatively speaking, that would be contesting a senior final for us) at adult level can only breed interest at the underage levels, the reality is that the majority of that squad are Liatroim born and bred and the kids along the line yesterday see them at the field every week and as such will wish to emulate that success if/when it can be achieved.

We head in to this week with an intermediate football final and a senior camogie final to look forward to, and a pitch that is hiving every night of the week, so transfers aside I'm content we are heading in the right direction.

I can't speak for our newest member to the forum but I've been on record that the spread of underage hurling championships outside the Ards is good for hurling and a wake up call for the Ards clubs to raise their game and will benefit Down on the whole.
Bredagh are U17 champions, Castlewellan were defaulted the U15 championship with only ourselves from the Ards competing at the A level and Liatroim won the U13 cup competition relatively easily.

I did highlight the flexibility within that area where there's Liatroim lads sanctioned to play for Castlewellan at U15 yet Castlewellan had their own players standing along the line, ditto Liatroim U13's with lads from Castlewellan, Ballela on the field and Liatroim lads standing along the line. I wonder if the short sightedness of winning underage competitions stifles development within the club over the longer term.

It is heartening to go to the primary school blitzes and see teams from all over Down there, Mourne, Warrenpoint, Newry, East Belfast as well as the traditional clubs you'd see at all these types of events.
Long may it continue.

Ardstick

Quote from: johnnycool on October 09, 2023, 04:03:12 PM

I can't speak for our newest member to the forum but I've been on record that the spread of underage hurling championships outside the Ards is good for hurling and a wake up call for the Ards clubs to raise their game and will benefit Down on the whole.
Bredagh are U17 champions, Castlewellan were defaulted the U15 championship with only ourselves from the Ards competing at the A level and Liatroim won the U13 cup competition relatively easily.

I did highlight the flexibility within that area where there's Liatroim lads sanctioned to play for Castlewellan at U15 yet Castlewellan had their own players standing along the line, ditto Liatroim U13's with lads from Castlewellan, Ballela on the field and Liatroim lads standing along the line. I wonder if the short sightedness of winning underage competitions stifles development within the club over the longer term.

It is heartening to go to the primary school blitzes and see teams from all over Down there, Mourne, Warrenpoint, Newry, East Belfast as well as the traditional clubs you'd see at all these types of events.
Long may it continue.

Think your both missing the main point here - of course seeing other teams excel at underage in Down is brilliant, but that's not the issue. There are no issues with amalgamated underage teams, when Senior you just go play for "your" club.

Liatroim have behaved like a premier league team dipping into the markets to get the best players. What's stopping the 3 ards teams next year going fishing around Belfast for a few players to improve their team. ( Wouldn't and shouldn't happen)

How would Liatroim react if Pearse Og or someone similar decided to leave them and go join Kilcoo for a chance at a Senior Championship. Sounds ridiculous I know but that's what has happened here.

The outsiders should go back to their own clubs, Liatroim have a great team without these transfers.

Walt Jabsco

Liatroim have every right to feel aggrieved in the way that they were disrespected by the County Board and the media pundits who had them written off before the match. The CB appointed an outside referee for the other semi final thinking that it would be the tougher of the two semis. But was it? In the interests of the integrity of the competition that Ardstick is so worried about both semis should have had outside referees appointed. It also raises the question are there no other referees in Down capable of officiating at this level that don't have skin in the game? If not why not? Ask any Ballycran person involved with the team did they welcome yesterdays refereeing appointment, I think the number that did you could fit them all into a phone box! The Ards teams are not whiter than white in regards to transfers and outsiders playing for them and should be playing for their "own" club - McAllister, Sheehan & Prenter. You could make a case for Prenter all right with RGU not having a hurling team. So how do some of the Ballycran players feel about the two outsiders taking their positions, you can't just pin that scenario on just happening in Liatroim, it is not unique to there. I sense a bit of fear in the Ards that there is a threat to their dominance of the SHC so is it a case of wanting those players to return to where they come from and so dilute the threat. As JC has pointed out on many occasions there will be no underage trophy residing in the Ards for another year but I have no doubt that will change sometime soon.   

PTC

Quote from: Ardstick on October 09, 2023, 05:36:56 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 09, 2023, 04:03:12 PM

Long may it continue.

Think your both missing the main point here - of course seeing other teams excel at underage in Down is brilliant, but that's not the issue. There are no issues with amalgamated underage teams, when Senior you just go play for "your" club.

Liatroim have behaved like a premier league team dipping into the markets to get the best players. What's stopping the 3 ards teams next year going fishing around Belfast for a few players to improve their team. ( Wouldn't and shouldn't happen)

How would Liatroim react if Pearse Og or someone similar decided to leave them and go join Kilcoo for a chance at a Senior Championship. Sounds ridiculous I know but that's what has happened here.

The outsiders should go back to their own clubs, Liatroim have a great team without these transfers.
Pearse og wouldn't get on the Kilcoo team

Gaelforce123

Not going to join the anti Kilcoo support group, but yesterdays P reserve final where a kilcoo player and current part of Senior Management bit a young Burren player and the Down website showing a video of a Burren goal that ends with a kilcoo player striking out doesn't exactly help their case as always the victim and being targeted

PTC

Quote from: Gaelforce123 on October 09, 2023, 08:35:26 PMNot going to join the anti Kilcoo support group, but yesterdays P reserve final where a kilcoo player and current part of Senior Management bit a young Burren player and the Down website showing a video of a Burren goal that ends with a kilcoo player striking out doesn't exactly help their case as always the victim and being targeted
Well done you just joined the anti Kilcoo support group feel free to bash them at every opportunity

Gaelforce123

I think I will stick to only mentioning things I see myself same as with any other team/incident but thanks for the invite

PTC

Quote from: Gaelforce123 on October 09, 2023, 09:07:10 PMI think I will stick to only mentioning things I see myself same as with any other team/incident but thanks for the invite
Not good enough your membership for the anti Kilcoo support group has been terminated

Ardstick

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on October 09, 2023, 07:27:45 PMLiatroim have every right to feel aggrieved in the way that they were disrespected by the County Board and the media pundits who had them written off before the match. The CB appointed an outside referee for the other semi final thinking that it would be the tougher of the two semis. But was it? In the interests of the integrity of the competition that Ardstick is so worried about both semis should have had outside referees appointed. It also raises the question are there no other referees in Down capable of officiating at this level that don't have skin in the game? If not why not? Ask any Ballycran person involved with the team did they welcome yesterdays refereeing appointment, I think the number that did you could fit them all into a phone box! The Ards teams are not whiter than white in regards to transfers and outsiders playing for them and should be playing for their "own" club - McAllister, Sheehan & Prenter. You could make a case for Prenter all right with RGU not having a hurling team. So how do some of the Ballycran players feel about the two outsiders taking their positions, you can't just pin that scenario on just happening in Liatroim, it is not unique to there. I sense a bit of fear in the Ards that there is a threat to their dominance of the SHC so is it a case of wanting those players to return to where they come from and so dilute the threat. As JC has pointed out on many occasions there will be no underage trophy residing in the Ards for another year but I have no doubt that will change sometime soon. 

Those Cran players live and are settled in the area, so that's a weak argument. Would love to know the address of the Murphy's in Liatroim and does McCusker not live beside Ballela pitch.

Look all I'm saying is instead of seeking glory hunters we need to keep working on developing players within our clubs instead of looking for a quick fix solution to winning. Taking players away to the detriment of their own clubs Lagos a real lack of class and morals.

With regards the reffing I'm sure if you talked to Ballycran supporters they would tell you all the frees that were missed for them, that's the nature of the game, ref will make mistakes just like the players on the field.

Might also be an idea to cut the Senior Championship to 5 teams, play each other once, top goes into final 2v3 in semi just to keep the quality and standard higher but that's for another day.

Good luck to Liatroim in their finals a win against Rostrevor would be an almighty victory for the parish.

old timers

Quote from: Ardstick on October 09, 2023, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: Walt Jabsco on October 09, 2023, 07:27:45 PMLiatroim have every right to feel aggrieved in the way that they were disrespected by the County Board and the media pundits who had them written off before the match. The CB appointed an outside referee for the other semi final thinking that it would be the tougher of the two semis. But was it? In the interests of the integrity of the competition that Ardstick is so worried about both semis should have had outside referees appointed. It also raises the question are there no other referees in Down capable of officiating at this level that don't have skin in the game? If not why not? Ask any Ballycran person involved with the team did they welcome yesterdays refereeing appointment, I think the number that did you could fit them all into a phone box! The Ards teams are not whiter than white in regards to transfers and outsiders playing for them and should be playing for their "own" club - McAllister, Sheehan & Prenter. You could make a case for Prenter all right with RGU not having a hurling team. So how do some of the Ballycran players feel about the two outsiders taking their positions, you can't just pin that scenario on just happening in Liatroim, it is not unique to there. I sense a bit of fear in the Ards that there is a threat to their dominance of the SHC so is it a case of wanting those players to return to where they come from and so dilute the threat. As JC has pointed out on many occasions there will be no underage trophy residing in the Ards for another year but I have no doubt that will change sometime soon. 

Those Cran players live and are settled in the area, so that's a weak argument. Would love to know the address of the Murphy's in Liatroim and does McCusker not live beside Ballela pitch.

Look all I'm saying is instead of seeking glory hunters we need to keep working on developing players within our clubs instead of looking for a quick fix solution to winning. Taking players away to the detriment of their own clubs Lagos a real lack of class and morals.

With regards the reffing I'm sure if you talked to Ballycran supporters they would tell you all the frees that were missed for them, that's the nature of the game, ref will make mistakes just like the players on the field.

Might also be an idea to cut the Senior Championship to 5 teams, play each other once, top goes into final 2v3 in semi just to keep the quality and standard higher but that's for another day.

Good luck to Liatroim in their finals a win against Rostrevor would be an almighty victory for the parish.

Really newbie ?  bit of back tracking here

Ardstick

Quote from: old timers on October 09, 2023, 10:56:16 PM

Let's have the discussion surely Oldie, however there's a massive different between a legitimate transfer and a self serving transfer. Surely your not suggesting Sheenan should still be taking a 90 mile round trip to play for Shamrocks. Fair play to him for staying with them up to last year.

How did the Murphy's ever get a transfer?? Because their dad manages them??

CB need to have a watertight system to stop clubs exploiting the system. Otherwise let's just have open season and let clubs pick and chose who gets to play for them.

Jet2

Someone send a supply of spuds to Kilcoo..players starving! They are turning into cannibals 🤣🤣🤣🤣

johnnycool

Quote from: Ardstick on October 10, 2023, 10:47:42 AM

Let's have the discussion surely Oldie, however there's a massive different between a legitimate transfer and a self serving transfer. Surely your not suggesting Sheenan should still be taking a 90 mile round trip to play for Shamrocks. Fair play to him for staying with them up to last year.

CB need to have a watertight system to stop clubs exploiting the system. Otherwise let's just have open season and let clubs pick and chose who gets to play for them.

McCusker transferred from Balella to a football only club and is then sanctioned to play for Liatroim, all within the rules but a tad lacking in integrity....

Walt, whilst I think the CB were correct to appoint an outsider for our semifinal they really should have done the same for the other one considering the lad they chose is originally a Portaferry player and regularly gets Portaferry lads to umpire for him including one of the current Portaferry management team.
Perceptions are everything and you see comments on SM from Liatroim supporters saying that they get nothing from referees in the Ards and who am I to argue that.

old timers

Quote from: Ardstick on October 10, 2023, 10:47:42 AM

this oldie thinks there's a lot of bitterness there newbie?? - sad to see. welcome to down discussion and hopefully future posts will be positive - should there be anymore  ;D