Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

Wow. What a poor interview. He makes it sound like Kilcoo have the most professional set up around. He forgets to mention about his cousins getting the road from the panel when Moran took over for their poor attitude only to get "a visit " from a few lads to warn him to take them back. He thinks people around the county don't know that they too have lads who dont turn up to training, don't arrive on time, sit on the physio slab when the training steps up a notch - everyone on the outside thinks everything is going great with them - that ain't so..
But it's like Rico Kelly tweeted earlier - pipe down young man - you make it sound like u have won multiple All Irelands and 10+ Ulsters...
Would Eugene last at county football - absolutely not.. he hit Ardan McAvoy last Wednesday night when the ball was thrown in and not realising he had just hit a former boxer - McAvoy hit him 3 quick fire sweet slaps  - Eugene all of a sudden didn't want contact and hid around midfield.. Then disappeared at half time..  how wud that last in an intercounty game ffs!!!

wobbller

While it's probably not decent to be criticising the Down Senior set-up on here anonymously it's definitely out of order to be doing in a National Newspaper especially when he has never been in or around a County set-up.Kilcoo keep on doing what they have always done and that's pis-ing people off.
Low action by EB.

thewobbler

Personally I'm enjoying the wee bit of clarity coming from O'Hagan and Brannigan.

It's a much better starting point than rumours or platitudes

Some of the sniping above on Eugene Brannigan is all sorts of bizarre. He was absolutely outstanding in an All Ireland winning season and boys are queuing up to put him down. I don't get that.

There's a dozen lads have been involved extensively with Down the past 5 years who've got nowhere near that level of performance. Nowhere near.

rosskarr

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2022, 12:11:38 AM
Personally I'm enjoying the wee bit of clarity coming from O'Hagan and Brannigan.

Some of the sniping above on Eugene Brannigan is all sorts of bizarre. He was absolutely outstanding in an All Ireland winning season and boys are queuing up to put him down. I don't get that.

There's a dozen lads have been involved extensively with Down the past 5 years who've got nowhere near that level of performance. Nowhere near.
Enjoying? Care to name the dozen?

Smurfy123

What's to enjoy about Barry's interview.
If he has no interest in playing why not just play club football? If you haven't the interest then go play club football. If you want to be involved in a County team well then concentrate on that until it is over

I don't think what Brannigan said is wrong. Which part are people getting upset over?
For what it worth do I think he could play county football. Yes. Would he improve Down. No

Lots of kilcoo players have been involved with Down and the haven't cut it and only lasted 18 months

Ryan J nope
Dylan W nope
McEvoy not yet
Dougherty not yet
Morgan nope
Bobo not yet very poor Saturday

Jerome has been good at times but nothing special

Even Laverty in his prime didn't really stand out

Possibly the man the stood out was Darragh O Hanlon who had a great few years before injury

Would dabs improve Down? Possibly yes but he is obviously untested at this level
Pound for pound Dabs is the best club player in this county. He consistently performs for Kilcoo

manwithnoplan

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2022, 12:11:38 AM

The point being he has never attempted to make an impact at county level and to introduce his winning mentality to that group. Look at the interview Brendan Rogers done with Smaller Fish podcast, when asked if the Slaughtneil players ever considered not joining the Derry county panel. Their view was Derry needed their input in order to push them on. Seriously different mindset. Must be nice being a young club player coming in to a team when the older men on the team and various other coaches have already put the hardest yards in to create that winning environment and mentality. It's a damn sight harder to be the person to make that change.

I was a huge fan of Branagan's performances this year, he was absolutely outstanding for Kilcoo and a deserved winner of his individual award. I just think he could have considered his words a lot more carefully as to not insult others. Honesty should be appreciated but just the way it is delivered should be carefully considered if it is potentially insulting or harmful to others who are working to their best ability in a bad situation.

ardtole

Plenty of club footballers didnt want to commit to county teams for various reasons over the years and Ive absoloutely no problem with anyone saying its not for them. Particulary with the commitment levels these days.

What  I find hard to understand is the contempt towards our county team and James McCartan from Brannigan in the article.

The same old crap about everyone being against Kilcoo was mentioned too, there was a lot of good will shown to Kilcoo on both their All Ireland runs, I was at the Corofin game and there was plenty of support from plenty of clubs throughout the county.

There was also plenty of businesses and individuals from neighbouring clubs who sponsored their various fundraising efforts on their way to the final, so the chip on the shoulder crap is hard to listen to.

No one is doubting Eugene Brannigans quality, and he is certainly good enough to be considered for the county panel, but the tone of the article left a sour taste for me anyway.

rosskarr

Let's enjoy the Club matches and forget about the County set-up for a few weeks.

RadioGAAGAA

Have to admit, quite lost at the mindset of some on here.

Look at what was actually said in the various articles.

- Lack of winning mentality in core of squad.
Who'd care to argue that given the two drinking sessions weeks before a championship game and the failure to win a game all year?

- On McCartan
Twice said JMcC was thrown under the bus. Said he's a good manager. But said most in Kilcoo wouldn't play for him.  What wasn't said is that is probably because he hasn't cleaned out the rotten core.

- On other clubs
Just the usual siege mentality. Whats new?

@Smurfy - I thought Bobo's distribution on Sat was far beyond what you could reasonably ask for given the complete shitting of the bed out the field. If your the goalie and you stick the ball into the breadbasket and the fielder drops it, whose fault is it really? Fuk sake, some of them you couldn't place the ball any better if you walked the 50 yards and handed it to them.

i usse an speelchekor

Square Ball

That's 5 wins out of 5 for our boys.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

lfdown2

Quote from: Square Ball on May 06, 2022, 09:20:56 PM

What was the score? Didn't get and no word of it on Downgaa yet.

Square Ball

Quote from: lfdown2 on May 06, 2022, 09:58:38 PM

What was the score? Didn't get and no word of it on Downgaa yet.
Won by 6 0-8 to 0-14
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

TakeTheMark

What makes this start more impressive is that every other team in Division 2 seems to be beating each other. Looks like its going to be a tough league to get promoted from with so many teams in the mix and fancying their chances.

Johnnysboys

Kilcoo were simply going through the gears last night v CPN. They are embedding some of their youth players nicely into a well oiled machine. With more senior players getting a good rest or brought back at a slower pace - they will not relinquish any of their titles easily. Very impressive..

Hard2Listen2

Minors in knockout action against Monaghan today.

Best of luck to them.

Would be nice to see a good performance & something positive.