Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: smelmoth on November 13, 2019, 06:14:02 PM
Do you think the scenarios he projects are untrue?

Probably half- and quarter-truths more than blatant untruths. (That's what propaganda tends to do.)  It's a personal opinion. You are free to disagree.

smelmoth

Quote from: five points on November 13, 2019, 06:18:17 PM

Probably half- and quarter-truths more than blatant untruths. (That's what propaganda tends to do.)  It's a personal opinion. You are free to disagree.

It's a freedom i'll gladly exercise.

Talk of half and quarter truths is evasive tending towards extremely evasive. What is he saying that is not true?

five points

Quote from: smelmoth on November 13, 2019, 06:21:32 PM

Talk of half and quarter truths is evasive tending towards extremely evasive. What is he saying that is not true?

Not interested in explaining. As I said I find him insufferable and sometimes hypocritical. But its not something I deeply care about.

smelmoth

Quote from: five points on November 13, 2019, 06:26:24 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 13, 2019, 06:21:32 PM

Not interested in explaining. As I said I find him insufferable and sometimes hypocritical. But its not something I deeply care about.

So no evasion there then

five points

Quote from: smelmoth on November 13, 2019, 06:29:05 PM
So no evasion there then

So what if there is. If you feel you can win me over to him, the stage is yours. But I couldn't give a toss.

smelmoth

Quote from: five points on November 13, 2019, 06:32:35 PM
So no evasion there then

So what if there is. If you feel you can win me over to him, the stage is yours. But I couldn't give a toss.

Not trying to win anybody over. You say he is a propagandist and deals in half truths. You offer nothing to back that up.

This forum descends into chaos if posters can throw anything out there offer no evidence to support it and run away when challenged. You could claim anything on here if people are going to engage in that sort of intellectual dishonesty

five points

Quote from: smelmoth on November 13, 2019, 06:53:23 PM
Quote from: five points on November 13, 2019, 06:32:35 PM
So no evasion there then

Not trying to win anybody over. You say he is a propagandist and deals in half truths. You offer nothing to back that up.

This forum descends into chaos if posters can throw anything out there offer no evidence to support it and run away when challenged. You could claim anything on here if people are going to engage in that sort of intellectual dishonesty

It's a personal opinion, not an argument, so talk of evidence or intellectual dishonesty ;D is moot. I'm neither interested in arguing about him nor in somehow convincing you that my opinion is justified or that you should share it. Get over it.

playwiththewind1st

Has the election been & gone already, since nobody on this thread has mentioned it for weeks? What was the result?

HiMucker

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 13, 2019, 07:09:54 PM
Has the election been & gone already, since nobody on this thread has mentioned it for weeks? What was the result?
Well surely its a done deal with this brilliant sell here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=97zPDojMWiQ&feature=youtu.be

Eamonnca1

Jim Bob

Drinks his tea with the teabag still in it

playwiththewind1st

Former Labour MP Kate Hoey says she will vote DUP in General Election

Wish to feck she would just stay in Vauxhall & mind her own business.

APM

The bit that no-one is talking about here is what happens to wages in the broader economy, when unskilled workers in McDonalds get a 80% pay rise in 2019.   

Firstly, supervisors and managers in McDonalds, will not tolerate earning less than an unskilled colleague. Management recognise this and maintain existing wage differentials with corresponding pay rises for workers in all parts of the business.  And if I'm on £15 per hour as a manager, and I see unskilled colleagues now getting the same wage, I also want an 80% uplift to maintain the differential that was previously there.  So I'll be looking for an extra £12.40 / hour. 

Then companies in the same sector have to start competing aggressively on wages to ensure that all of their staff don't leave to go to McDonalds.  In a short space of time, the standard hourly wage for unskilled workers in the catering and hospitality sector is £15.

The catering sector will become more attractive for a time, as people working in other low / semi-skilled jobs, decide to move into that sector, meaning that other industry sectors (retail, manufacturing etc) start to up their game.  Wages start to rise across the board. 

Lower-skilled workers on £15/hour start to think about taking out loans and mortgages to get a good car, buy a house.  House prices rise. 

Meanwhile, retailers, foodservice, manufacturers start to increase prices as a result of higher costs, but also due to the fact that there is increased demand in the economy due to the extra spending power. 

Inflation starts to rise quite fast

Bank of England puts up interest rates

Inflation has eroded away the increased wages

Higher interest rates mean that borrowers are now struggling to pay back loans on variable rates

Minimum wage workers are back where they started, only saddled with debt. 

Is anyone better off? Is there anything sustainable about this. 

HiMucker

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 13, 2019, 09:21:28 PM
Drinks his tea with the teabag still in it
That will certainly put off a lot of upper class tories ;D

seafoid

Quote from: APM on November 14, 2019, 09:52:03 AM

The bit that no-one is talking about here is what happens to wages in the broader economy, when unskilled workers in McDonalds get a 80% pay rise in 2019.   

Firstly, supervisors and managers in McDonalds, will not tolerate earning less than an unskilled colleague. Management recognise this and maintain existing wage differentials with corresponding pay rises for workers in all parts of the business.  And if I'm on £15 per hour as a manager, and I see unskilled colleagues now getting the same wage, I also want an 80% uplift to maintain the differential that was previously there.  So I'll be looking for an extra £12.40 / hour. 

Then companies in the same sector have to start competing aggressively on wages to ensure that all of their staff don't leave to go to McDonalds.  In a short space of time, the standard hourly wage for unskilled workers in the catering and hospitality sector is £15.

The catering sector will become more attractive for a time, as people working in other low / semi-skilled jobs, decide to move into that sector, meaning that other industry sectors (retail, manufacturing etc) start to up their game.  Wages start to rise across the board. 

Lower-skilled workers on £15/hour start to think about taking out loans and mortgages to get a good car, buy a house.  House prices rise. 

Meanwhile, retailers, foodservice, manufacturers start to increase prices as a result of higher costs, but also due to the fact that there is increased demand in the economy due to the extra spending power. 

Inflation starts to rise quite fast

Bank of England puts up interest rates

Inflation has eroded away the increased wages

Higher interest rates mean that borrowers are now struggling to pay back loans on variable rates

Minimum wage workers are back where they started, only saddled with debt. 

Is anyone better off? Is there anything sustainable about this.

Higher interest rates are guaranteed
So is a property crash
Longer term most people will be better off if the rich are taxed for the benefit of the wider society.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU