Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The UDA/UVF probably have a reasonable say in who "working class" loyalists vote for in certain areas at least. If they don't appease them then they will lose voters.

That being said the last time they paired up was round the time of their "graduated response" around parades which still hasn't happened.

johnnycool

Quote from: yellowcard on November 06, 2019, 04:07:00 PM
Jeffrey Donaldson and Colum Eastwood had a fairly heated exchange earlier on Talkback over a letter that Jeffrey wrote into today's Newsletter asking whether Sean Kelly would be campaigning for Claire Hanna in South Belfast. Eastwood spoke very well and got Donaldson completely flustered and I think that by the end of the interview that he may have realised that the letter may have backfired on him. Looked like a complete stunt from Jeffrey to try and make it about the IRA again and deflect from any Brexit related issues.

The fact is that the DUP have embraced loyalist paramilitaries more than ever before and have done nothing to try and distance themselves from platform sharing and having meetings with the UDA and UVF. I think its borne out of fear and paranoia in realising that the union is under threat but in doing so they just become even more inward looking and continue to isolate themselves. They just continue to dig themselves ever deeper into their bunkers and I think they might soon have to change their party name to 'ourselves alone'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009ylz

About 11 minutes in.

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 06, 2019, 04:13:05 PM
The UDA/UVF probably have a reasonable say in who "working class" loyalists vote for in certain areas at least. If they don't appease them then they will lose voters.

That being said the last time they paired up was round the time of their "graduated response" around parades which still hasn't happened.

They will team up with the UDA/UVF if it is expedient for them to do so. That's fine but they can't then claim some high principled moral stance over paramilitarism links which is what they are doing in the case of Sean Kelly and SDLP. It is fairly clear already that Finucane will be the subject of a continual smear campaign in North Belfast which is just indicative of how much pressure that Dodds is under to hold that seat. I think Finucane is too clever to get involved in the mud slinging of personal attacks and needs to keep it about Brexit and Dodds record over the last 2-3 years as an arch Brexiteer/ERG apologist.   

imtommygunn

They can because that is what they do though. The party of RHI, red sky, petitions of concern, links with loyalist paramilitaries. They are the epitome of irony.

Yes I hope Finucane goes nowhere near it.

Minder

Quote from: yellowcard on November 06, 2019, 04:07:00 PM
Jeffrey Donaldson and Colum Eastwood had a fairly heated exchange earlier on Talkback over a letter that Jeffrey wrote into today's Newsletter asking whether Sean Kelly would be campaigning for Claire Hanna in South Belfast. Eastwood spoke very well and got Donaldson completely flustered and I think that by the end of the interview that he may have realised that the letter may have backfired on him. Looked like a complete stunt from Jeffrey to try and make it about the IRA again and deflect from any Brexit related issues.

The fact is that the DUP have embraced loyalist paramilitaries more than ever before and have done nothing to try and distance themselves from platform sharing and having meetings with the UDA and UVF. I think its borne out of fear and paranoia in realising that the union is under threat but in doing so they just become even more inward looking and continue to isolate themselves. They just continue to dig themselves ever deeper into their bunkers and I think they might soon have to change their party name to 'ourselves alone'.

Sean Kelly is campaigning for Clare Hanna??
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

screenexile

Lady Sylvia not standing!!! f**k that!!

imtommygunn

Armagh18

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2019, 02:54:52 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on November 06, 2019, 01:22:21 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2019, 12:24:10 PM
Has a political campaign ever shot itself in the foot as badly as the Conservatives have the last few days??

Labour haven't even done anything the Tories are just losing the plot!

If said it on here in the past. Corbyn wiped the floor with the conservatives in 17. I'm beginning to think the conservatives have learnt nothing. Is "get brexit done" the new "strong and stable"?

Don't forget "Britain deserves better"!!!!!!  ;D
Yeah much better than the past 10 years of Tory cuts.

Armagh18

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2019, 06:23:24 PM
Lady Sylvia not standing!!! f**k that!!
UDA must have told her not too.... any chance of Alliance getting a sniff in her seat if they got support of other remain parties?

playwiththewind1st

Potentially a DUP/UDA gain, going on result last time out?

under the bar

Could she not have held on until January ffs?

yellowcard

That's a seat now likely going to a pro Brexit DUP voter so will negate any loss that DUP will suffer in South Belfast or elsewhere.

General election 2017: North Down Party    Candidate    Votes    

Independent..........Sylvia Hermon..........16,148    
   DUP.........................Alex Easton..............14,940    
   Alliance...................Andrew Muir..............  3,639    
   Green (NI)..............Steven Agnew.............2,549    
   NI Conservatives....Frank Shivers.............    941    
   Sinn Féin.................Thérèse McCartney........531    
   SDLP........................Caoímhe McNeill.............400    
   Independent...........Gavan Reynolds.................3

Looks nailed on for a DUP candidate now.

Harold Disgracey

Alliance did very well in the most recent council elections in North Down and Ards so they would have a decent chance.

LeoMc

Quote from: yellowcard on November 06, 2019, 07:03:35 PM
That's a seat now likely going to a pro Brexit DUP voter so will negate any loss that DUP will suffer in South Belfast or elsewhere.

General election 2017: North Down Party    Candidate    Votes    

Independent..........Sylvia Hermon..........16,148    
   DUP.........................Alex Easton..............14,940    
   Alliance...................Andrew Muir..............  3,639    
   Green (NI)..............Steven Agnew.............2,549    
   NI Conservatives....Frank Shivers.............    941    
   Sinn Féin.................Thérèse McCartney........531    
   SDLP........................Caoímhe McNeill.............400    
   Independent...........Gavan Reynolds.................3

Looks nailed on for a DUP candidate now.
UUP didn't stand against her so they may have a chance if they have any decent candidates. How did they do in the other elections there?

yellowcard

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 06, 2019, 07:08:38 PM
Alliance did very well in the most recent council elections in North Down and Ards so they would have a decent chance.

31,000 unionist votes out of 38,000 highly unlikely alliance could win it I would have thought, possibly UUP depending on the candidates involved. If both UUP and Alliance stand then it plays into DUP's hands.