Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 05, 2019, 03:53:51 PM
Any word of reciprocal moves from Alliance in South Belfast/ North Down, couldn't see them doing it in NB TBF.

Would have thought the Green's would withdraw in North Down and East Belfast also.

Could Upper Bann be in play at all for a pact?

Or even South Antrim to help out UU they prob burnt that bridge by withdrawing from NB?

Couldn't see it. Results from 2017 general election:

DUP 43.5%
SF 27.9%
UUP 15.4%
SDLP 8.6%
Alliance 4.5%

Rois

Alliance definitely not pulling out.

SDLP running a relative unknown in FST and in South Down.  Playing a very realistic and sensible campaign. 

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 05, 2019, 04:58:53 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 05, 2019, 04:48:11 PM
Is Paula Bradshaw not standing in south Belfast?

Posters are up anyway...

Looks like Hanna is the go to & she will unseat that bitter piece of shit that we currently have for an MP. Naomi Long ought to have had some guts the other day, rather than waffling.  If Alliance had pulled Bradshaw, they could have put all their resources into flooding East Belfast & getting in there again.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 05, 2019, 05:07:23 PM
Any word of reciprocal moves from Alliance in South Belfast/ North Down, couldn't see them doing it in NB TBF.

Would have thought the Green's would withdraw in North Down and East Belfast also.

Or even South Antrim to help out UU they prob burnt that bridge by withdrawing from NB?

DUP 43.5%
SF 27.9%
UUP 15.4%
SDLP 8.6%
Alliance 4.5%

The DUP Brexit result is atrocious. I wouldn't rule out a backlash
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 05, 2019, 05:49:11 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 05, 2019, 04:58:53 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 05, 2019, 04:48:11 PM
Is Paula Bradshaw not standing in south Belfast?

Posters are up anyway...

Looks like Hanna is the go to & she will unseat that bitter piece of shit that we currently have for an MP. Naomi Long ought to have had some guts the other day, rather than waffling.  If Alliance had pulled Bradshaw, they could have put all their resources into flooding East Belfast & getting in there again.

After this election, do you reckon there'll be another election next year?

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on November 05, 2019, 05:58:18 PM

DUP 43.5%
SF 27.9%
UUP 15.4%
SDLP 8.6%
Alliance 4.5%

I would. Areas like this and north Antrim won't change.

smelmoth

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 05, 2019, 07:10:57 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 05, 2019, 06:35:23 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2019, 03:48:02 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 04, 2019, 01:09:15 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 04, 2019, 12:29:54 PM
Armstrong is a complete ignoramus. Just cos she's the Alliance Chief Whip at Stormont, she thinks she owns the place. Completely up her own arse - a vindictive & nasty piece of work altogether.

Remember on Nolan once she was talking absolute shite about how the Republic still had a lot to do to become as liberal and progressive as the UK, funny I dont remember when the UK had a PM who was openly gay and non-white. Sure even Tony Blair didnt become a catholic until he was out of office for fear of the shit storm it would cause. Nope I cant stand her and I once voted Alliance but they seem to be annoying me more and more

Blair converting might have something to do with Catholics not allowed to be the British PM.

When and where did you make that one up?

A quick google should tell you that although the law is not fully explicit for PM there is something to it....

I can google alright. My question to bennycake still stands?
My question to you is what is this law that you are referencing about a catholic's eligibility to be PM?

smelmoth

Quote from: LooseCannon on November 05, 2019, 07:46:29 AM
Armstrong is a complete ignoramus. Just cos she's the Alliance Chief Whip at Stormont, she thinks she owns the place. Completely up her own arse - a vindictive & nasty piece of work altogether.

Remember on Nolan once she was talking absolute shite about how the Republic still had a lot to do to become as liberal and progressive as the UK, funny I dont remember when the UK had a PM who was openly gay and non-white. Sure even Tony Blair didnt become a catholic until he was out of office for fear of the shit storm it would cause. Nope I cant stand her and I once voted Alliance but they seem to be annoying me more and more

Blair converting might have something to do with Catholics not allowed to be the British PM.

A quick google should tell you that although the law is not fully explicit for PM there is something to it....

The law was only changed in the last couple of years methinks. Was the same for the line of succession to the throne (or whatever it's called) until around the same time.

What law was changed?

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 09:58:02 AM

The law was only changed in the last couple of years methinks. Was the same for the line of succession to the throne (or whatever it's called) until around the same time.

They say it was changed recently. Maybe the anti-catholic stance has diminished (on the surface) in Britain, but the House of Lords has COE leaders only in it. No influence from Catholicism. The idea is that having Catholics around the place advising the government and royalty and pushing their Vatican dogma, we'll we couldn't have that, could we?

Anyway, I wouldn't be fooled by the removal of the Catholic monarch/PM thing. Britain from the top, is as still sectarian as anything you'd have seen at the time of Henry 8 or the setup of Guy Fawkes.

Who are "they"?

And are there broad similarities between their backsides and their mid arm joints?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 02:42:42 PM
Britain is a Protestant country from the top down. Nothing nonsense about it.

Bunkum. Most people in Britain take nothing to do with religion and wouldn't know a prod from a taig, which is one reason why they find the Troubles so hard to understand. The COE might be the official established church, but there are cults with a bigger following.

BennyCake

Quote from: smelmoth on November 05, 2019, 06:39:54 PM

My question to you is what is this law that you are referencing about a catholic's eligibility to be PM?

I didn't make it up

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 03:44:18 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 05, 2019, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 05, 2019, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 12:21:25 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 05, 2019, 12:16:05 PM

They say it was changed recently. Maybe the anti-catholic stance has diminished (on the surface) in Britain, but the House of Lords has COE leaders only in it. No influence from Catholicism. The idea is that having Catholics around the place advising the government and royalty and pushing their Vatican dogma, we'll we couldn't have that, could we?

Anyway, I wouldn't be fooled by the removal of the Catholic monarch/PM thing. Britain from the top, is as still sectarian as anything you'd have seen at the time of Henry 8 or the setup of Guy Fawkes.

Duchess of Kent was received into the Catholic church in 1994. Both Jacob Rees Mogg and Ian Duncan Smith are Catholics.

None of them are PM or monarch though.

This is nonsense

So you can't be a Catholic and PM. Is that what you are saying?

Well, it was the case. They might have tweaked that law, but still, Blair didn't convert until after he was British PM, so obviously there is still an issue with it.

The Q is head of the COE, and all things parliament has to be approved by her. Plus, no input from any but Protestant clerics in House of Lords says everything.

When was it the case?
What was the law?
How was it tweaked?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 05, 2019, 06:30:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 05, 2019, 05:58:18 PM

DUP 43.5%
SF 27.9%
UUP 15.4%
SDLP 8.6%
Alliance 4.5%

I would. Areas like this and north Antrim won't change.

I agree. Upper Bann is a safe DUP seat. Arlene could blow millions on a half baked heating scheme and the DUP wouldn't lose a single vote. The unionists have more in common with free staters than they care to admit.

smelmoth

Quote from: trailer on November 05, 2019, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 12:21:25 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 05, 2019, 12:16:05 PM

Duchess of Kent was received into the Catholic church in 1994. Both Jacob Rees Mogg and Ian Duncan Smith are Catholics.

None of them are PM or monarch though.

This is nonsense

Tell the average man on the street outside NI and Scotland that they are a Protestant and they are likely to politely smile and move to the sane side of the street

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 06:53:43 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 05, 2019, 06:39:54 PM

I didn't make it up

So hit me with the specifics. What is this law you are talking about or should I say around?