Monaghan v Kerry - St Tiernachs Park Clones - 22/07/18

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 18, 2018, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 22, 2018, 09:08:00 PM
Thought Deegan was shocking, Kerry benefited the first half whilst Monaghan did in the 2nd.
The smiling assassin

Main Street

That last free to Kerry most probably was an error but in itself did not hand the initiative back to Kerry to equalize.
I thought Deegan did well overall, kept the game flowing and was well in control throughout.

What I expect from refs at this part of the championship is to apply leniency in accordance with the pressure  on the players and  do their upmost keep everybody on the pitch. I'd expect them not to be a stickler for pedantically applying a dogmatic application of the rule book which get players sent off/black carded for so and so challenges.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 22, 2018, 09:08:00 PM
Thought Deegan was shocking, Kerry benefited the first half whilst Monaghan did in the 2nd.

I always find he doesn't generally go out to shaft teams but gets a lot wrong. He deteriorates when pressure comes on.
AIF replay 2016 was his worst performance.

befair

Monaghan blew it, lacked the composure to close the game out; had many chances either to score or to simply keep possession. Difficult for them now; shame because I always admire their spirit and how they make the most of the small population. Kerry will definitely beat Kildare handily, as Kildare have nothing to play for. On the other hand, Galway have already qualified, so Monaghan may have the greater motivation

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on July 22, 2018, 09:33:28 PM
That last free to Kerry most probably was an error but in itself did not hand the initiative back to Kerry to equalize.
I thought Deegan did well overall, kept the game flowing and was well in control throughout.

What I expect from refs at this part of the championship is to apply leniency in accordance with the pressure  on the players and  do their upmost keep everybody on the pitch. I'd expect them not to be a stickler for pedantically applying a dogmatic application of the rule book which get players sent off/black carded for so and so challenges.

in that vien he let donaghy off when we've often seen players get a red for less. However he has to get the technical stuff right. Its no different to a double hop and we'd all be incensed if he missed that

JoG2

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 22, 2018, 05:42:23 PM
Mone fucked it up at the end.  ;D

Class game that. That was Monaghan's AI Final.

Wasn't sure at the time, but having just watched the Sunday game, Mone played the percentage ball to his team mate in a better, closer position who, if he jinked left had a handy point. Instead he turned right into the Kerry defender and invited the tackle.. ie not on Mone

Main Street

yellowcard

Monaghan must still be kicking themselves today at how they failed to close yesterdays game out.

I didn't realise that there is now a 2 week gap until the next match which may help them to recover mentally as much as anything following what must have felt like a defeat yesterday. Ordinarily there is very little between Monaghan and Galway (probably have been the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the country all season long) although Galway have the home venue on this occasion.

Galway have already qualified and may subconsciously take their eye off the ball slightly with a semi final a week later, whereas when Monaghan have a few days to analyse yesterdays game they will realise that they are still in the championship and it is effectively do or die for them. This Galway v Monaghan match together with the Donegal v Tyrone match will be real cut and thrust knock out encounters.

Denn Forever

Monaghan have only themselve to trying to play keep ball with only  a 3 point advantage.  Kicked some great long range points during the game.  So why not try the same in the last few minutes?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

upmonaghansayswe

Such a roller-coaster. An absolutely sickening end and yet an occasion that may never be matched. Normally it's people outside the county giving platitudes to Monaghan but yesterday there was an atmosphere in Clones that I haven't experienced in 20 years watching Monaghan.

You knew it driving in the Roslea Road. 3pm, the placed jammed and all Monaghan. Yes, there's been bigger crowds for Ulster Finals but the Monaghan crowd in the ground an hour before the match was something to behold. The cheer as they came out and returned in for their warm up. The roar when they did sprints across from the Gerry Arthur to the Pat Mc Grane before the start. It was like a plead from the crowd for Monaghan to go to war with Kerry, and they did. And for that I`m terribly proud of them today.

Enda McGinley summed it up saying yesterday felt like Monaghan`s historic moment and for 72 minutes it felt like it was happening. Yes, we should have been more than 3 up at the end and errors were made but of all days I just can`t begin to analyse or criticise decisions or moments by any player. For me today is about acknowledging what yesterday was.

The 2-week break will do them good. They have time to hurt for a few days but must rise again for Galway. I just hope that as many as possible Monaghan supporters make the trip west. Yesterday's occasion was special, I can only imagine the players drew something from it as well. We all owe it to them to try and replicate it in Galway.

clarshack

Monaghan have now conceded injury time goals against Tyrone, Fermanagh & Kerry, whilst Kerry have scored injury time goals 2 games in a row. Kerry while not playing well appear to have greater mental strength.

yellowcard

Quote from: clarshack on July 23, 2018, 02:44:00 PM
Monaghan have now conceded injury time goals against Tyrone, Fermanagh & Kerry, whilst Kerry have scored injury time goals 2 games in a row. Kerry while not playing well appear to have greater mental strength.

A last minute injury time goal against Galway to turn a potential 6 point defeat into a 3 point defeat has got nothing to do with mental strength.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: yellowcard on July 23, 2018, 04:14:35 PM
Quote from: clarshack on July 23, 2018, 02:44:00 PM

A last minute injury time goal against Galway to turn a potential 6 point defeat into a 3 point defeat has got nothing to do with mental strength.

Also shouldn't have even stood as Geaney threw the ball to Clifford (yes it still annoys me).

gallsman

Quote from: JoG2 on July 22, 2018, 11:48:07 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 22, 2018, 05:42:23 PM
Mone fucked it up at the end.  ;D

Class game that. That was Monaghan's AI Final.

Wasn't sure at the time, but having just watched the Sunday game, Mone played the percentage ball to his team mate in a better, closer position who, if he jinked left had a handy point. Instead he turned right into the Kerry defender and invited the tackle.. ie not on Mone

If Mone didn't fancy it on his right, he had all the time in the world to run it in close enough to fist over. Instead he played it to a man running into traffic. Giving it to a man who you are relying on to beat another player one on one rather than taking an easy score yourself is not playing the percentages, i.e. that particular failing was definitely on Mone.

haranguerer

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 22, 2018, 08:01:21 PM
Kerry goal was illegitimate, basically:
Paul Earley (@earleyconsult):

Kerry goal came from referee decision to penalise Colin Walsh when he fisted the ball away on the ground after falling.  'Rule 1.2 Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground and may score'

We really need refs that know, and who can faithfully implement, the fecking rules; it has been a disastrous weekend for ineptitude in the middle, seriously.

I've seen this all over the place and its rubbish. Of course Deegan knows that rule, and he was completely right to give the free - Walshe wasn't in possession of the ball when he went down, it was loose.