Mayo v Limerick

Started by Farrandeelin, February 19, 2007, 04:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I'm expecting a good game next weekend. Not every team goes to Ulster and beats an Ulster team. I think we will win this game though and hopefully the friendly on Saturday night against Clare will have helped Johnno see a few other players that could be called upon for this game. Mayo to win though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 19, 2007, 04:07:28 PM
I'm expecting a good game next weekend. Not every team goes to Ulster and beats an Ulster team. I think we will win this game though and hopefully the friendly on Saturday night against Clare will have helped Johnno see a few other players that could be called upon for this game. Mayo to win though.

So it can be seen without having to go to the reply button. ::)

youbetterbelieveit

Limerick Footballers have surprised many so far in the league, not least their own supporters, mickey ned has been rebuilding the team over the last year and a half, and now there are a number of young eager players coming through, and have stepped up to the plate for division 1.

Should be an interesting game, with limerick pushing mayo all the way, i predict a draw,

Redgreenery

I predict a Mayo win, as I dont think Johonno would want to chance loseing this one and would have the players ready. I have no doubt that it will be a close game though.

An Gaeilgoir

I agree Redgreenery,no disrespect to Limerick but we should have a bit too much for them....especially in Castlebar. By the way any word on Ciaran Mc Donald? I heard he was back doing light training but i feel it is a long road back for him. Hopefully i'm wrong.

Bod Mor

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 19, 2007, 04:07:28 PM
I think we will win this game though. Mayo to win though.

Quote from: Redgreenery on February 19, 2007, 08:39:08 PM
I predict a Mayo win,

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 19, 2007, 10:46:51 PM
no disrespect to Limerick but we should have a bit too much for them....

Lads can I remind yee that we're from Mayo, we're supposed to be pessimistic. Since when did we get this cocky?
Limerick ran Dublin very close 2 weeks ago and beat a good Fermanagh side in Clones at the weekend.
As youbetterbelieveit said above, there is an air of anticipation in the Limerick football camp at the moment.
I hope Aidan Kilcoyne, Enda Devenney and Barry Regan get a good run out in this game.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Quote from: Bod Mor on February 20, 2007, 01:06:07 AM
Since when did we get this cocky?
Limerick ran Dublin very close 2 weeks ago and beat a good Fermanagh side in Clones at the weekend.

Good man Bod - nail on the head

MacDanger

Shite, I was expecting this to be a definite 2 points in the bag. No disrespect to Limerick but a home game to a team who were supposedly on the wane was always going to be looked upon beforehand as a good chance to pick up the points. A good win away to Fermanagh and a 1 point loss to Dublin though kinda put a few doubts in my mind.

Anybody from Limerick able to shed some light on whether these were two good performances by Limerick or poor performances from the opposition?

That said, a home win against Kerry and a 3 point loss away to an in-form Donegal isn't too shabby either.

I'd like to see Johnno continuing to experiment with a few players but hopefully the new faces can perform well enough to secure the 3 points at the same time.

Hopefully Devenney can step up to the plate at long last, be it lack of opportunity or lack of committment he's not been around much over the past few years despite his obvious potential and much as I hate praising any f**kers from Ballina he looks like he could really make an impact with the county team.

I reckon Campbell could get a start this week as he seems to be playing well. We seem to lack somewhat in real good inside forwards - we've got Dillon, Brady, Moran, T Mort, BJP (if not CHB), Kilcoyne, MacDonald, possibly Harte all the half forward line but no major competition in the full forward line yet.

Hopefully the new look full back line will continue to improve and BJP will do well.

In all reality, if we don't win this game we can forget about the S/F's and we could struggle with making Div 1 next year. We only have one more home game after this (Dublin) so we badly need to do the business.

youbetterbelieveit

see my above comments macdanger

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: MacDanger on February 20, 2007, 03:30:38 AM
hopefully the new faces can perform well enough to secure the 3 points at the same time.

You might need to go aisy on the Sky Sports hoss.  ;)

Farrandeelin

The only reason for my optimism Bod is to prevent Tatler Jack from commenting on what I say! ;)

mannix

Fair play to limerick footballers, they have to face a lot of negativity in their home county ie damn all fans watched them against dublin at home.They were unlucky with Kearns and though I am a mayo man i have great admiration for lads from strong hurling places that play the game of football and are competitive enough like limerick have been recently( 2001 onwards).
Why did tipp and wexford change to hurling as the number one game?

Redgreenery

Match preview from the Mayo News:
BY: MIKE FINNERTY

MAYO are set to make some changes to their team for the first time in the National Football League for next Sunday's crunch match with Limerick at McHale Park, Castlebar.
John O'Mahony told The Mayo News last night that there were likely to be some changes in personnel from the side that lost to Donegal ten days ago. He also said that with the exception of Ciaran McDonald, everyone was available for selection with Ronan McGarrity back in contention for a starting place again after recovering from injury.
"We want to be playing in the upper division next year so it's crucial that we take as much as we can from our home games," the Mayo manager explained.
"The motivation for individual players in games like this is that we still have to identify the 30 players for our championship panel. We haven't picked a team yet for Sunday but I think there may be a couple of changes. This game could be a case of horses for courses because Limerick play with a much more direct style than Donegal did.
"The Donegal game was absorbing, it took a bit out of our lads," he added. "We were very disappointed not to take something out of that game. We have said all along that with us only having three home matches it's vital that we win them. But Limerick's form is good, they beat Fermanagh in Clones on Sunday and were unlucky against Dublin."
O'Mahony fielded a second-string team against Clare last Saturday for a challenge game which Mayo won by six points. Among those to impress were Enda Devenney, Aidan Higgins, Aidan Campbell and Mark Ronaldson, and the manager conceded that the game had given him plenty of food for thought.
"I was delighted with the Clare game as it gave us an opportunity to take a look at other players, other things. Now when we sit down to pick our team this week we can take into account a lot of the information that we gathered last weekend."
Limerick shot 2-10 last Sunday on the way to beating Fermanagh and Mickey Ned O'Sullivan's new-look team are beginning to find some form. Johnny McCarthy, Pat Ahern, John Galvin and Michéal Reidy are all familiar names but the rest of their squad enjoy a low profile.
"Mickey O'Sullivan is working very hard with them and he has a much changed side this year," admitted John O'Mahony. "Limerick are a strong, physical team. John Galvin is a big influence at midfield, Johnny McCarthy is a good defender and I know Kieran Gallagher, who watched them in Clones on Sunday, was very impressed with their physicality. This will be another big test for us."

Fixture:
NATIONAL LEAGUE DIVISION 1A
MAYO v LIMERICK
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 25
AT 2.30PM, McHALE PARK, CASTLEBAR.
REFEREE: M DUFFY (SLIGO)

MacDanger

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 20, 2007, 03:18:26 PM
Quote from: MacDanger on February 20, 2007, 03:30:38 AM
hopefully the new faces can perform well enough to secure the 3 points at the same time.

You might need to go aisy on the Sky Sports hoss.  ;)

There's a bonus point on offer for this game!!!

Farrandeelin

From hoganstand.

Limerick senior football manager Mickey Ned O'Sullivan has named his team for the NFL Division 1A clash with Mayo.

The Shannonsiders pushed Dublin close in their league opener at the Gaelic Grounds but got two points in the bag with a fine win over Fermanagh in a rearranged clash at Clones on Sunday February 18.

They continue their programme with a third-round tie against Connacht champions Mayo in Castlebar on Sunday Feb 24 and the following team has been named:

S Kiely; S Gallagher, J McCarthy, P Browne; P Ahern, T Cahill, P Ranahan; J Galvin, T Carroll; G Noonan, J Ryan, J Cooke; J O'Brien, D Horan, M Reidy.