Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 27, 2018, 12:34:53 AM
Year of the Locust should have been released by now but it isn't on general release until Oct 2019 despite Amazon carrying a sampler since 2015! Very strange.

Ah! I had noticed it on Amazon one day a while ago with reviews etc but i see now that it was only the preview.

lurganblue

Anyone interested in WW2 should definately give "Breakout at Stalingrad" a read.  It is a novel written by a German survivor based on the shit show that was Stalingrad. A very eye opening and no hold barred account of what went on during the siege. It's a long read but i'd certainly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakout-at-Stalingrad-Heinrich-Gerlach/dp/1786690632/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551780603&sr=8-1&keywords=breakout+at+stalingrad+by+heinrich+gerlach

LeoMc

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 07, 2016, 06:11:57 PM
Imagine if you liked the Jack Reacher books.......

Or Alex Cross or Kay Scarpetta!

LeoMc

Anyone else read Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari?
Thought it started off very strongly but as he moved toward modern times and capitalism it began to drag.
Great read overall though.

HiMucker

Quote from: LeoMc on March 05, 2019, 11:01:21 AM
Thought it started off very strongly but as he moved toward modern times and capitalism it began to drag.
Read it. Some great food for thought and information, but there is a fair bit of waffle in there as well. Like yourself I still enjoyed it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on March 05, 2019, 11:01:21 AM
Gave up on it as I thought it turned out not to be the book I thought it was. I thought it would be more scientifically robust, but lots of it are his opinions and conjecture, so I knocked it on the head. I suppose it is only meant to be a brief history and you need to go elsewhere to get into the detail, so I might go back to it and give it another lash at some stage. After I finish the latest Reacher outing.

lurganblue

Quote from: ziggy90 on February 25, 2018, 01:52:36 PM
Anyone on here have any recommendations for books on the ancient Greek classics? I've a bit more time on my hands these days and have a bit of a hankering to study them.

You get sorted Ziggy? Had the need to read a few of these books for A Level (that wasn't today or yesterday). Herodotus Histories always a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Histories-Penguin-Classics-Herodotus/dp/0140449086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551795784&sr=8-1&keywords=herodotus+histories

The Iliad and Odyssey are good stories too.

I've recently finished the Stephen Fry books Mythos and Heroes and they are very good if you have an interest in the Mythology side of things.

ziggy90

Quote from: lurganblue on March 05, 2019, 02:27:36 PM
Anyone on here have any recommendations for books on the ancient Greek classics? I've a bit more time on my hands these days and have a bit of a hankering to study them.

You get sorted Ziggy? Had the need to read a few of these books for A Level (that wasn't today or yesterday). Herodotus Histories always a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Histories-Penguin-Classics-Herodotus/dp/0140449086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551795784&sr=8-1&keywords=herodotus+histories

I've recently finished the Stephen Fry books Mythos and Heroes and they are very good if you have an interest in the Mythology side of things.

No LB I didn't bother as I went back to work but I've just finished up as job and I'm going to have a few weeks off and will get stuck into these.
Thanks for the head's up.
Looking forward to Sunday and a good old tear-up with our neighbours!!  ;)
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Denn Forever

QuoteThe Iliad and Odyssey are good stories too.

Not so good when you had to translate them.  Can't remember what they were, but remember that's when I was a Callow ut.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lurganblue

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 05, 2019, 05:19:32 PM

No LB I didn't bother as I went back to work but I've just finished up as job and I'm going to have a few weeks off and will get stuck into these.
Thanks for the head's up.
Looking forward to Sunday and a good old tear-up with our neighbours!!  ;)

Thankfully with Jack back I can look forward to it too. Shocking without him.

ziggy90

Jack the Rat looks good but hopefully Rentokill will lend us an exterminator.  ;)

lurganblue

It was well talked about a while ago on this thread but I finally got round to reading "I heard you paint houses" by Charles Brandt.  Thanks very much for the recommendation as I have to say it's probably the best true crime book I have ever read.  I hope the upcoming Scorsese film does it justice.

ziggy90

Just finished these LB. A very enjoyable and informative read but I think you'd need a PhD in genealogy to follow the family tree's of this lot. Fry has a very easy way of explaining the oracles etc but I do think he thinks we're all "plebs".
All in all a great recommendation for a starter, thanks for the head's up.
Now for a bit of the in-depth stuff.  :o

WT4E

What's the best book on irish history?

BennyCake

Quote from: WT4E on September 03, 2019, 10:55:16 PM
What's the best book on irish history?

Too wide a field. I would go for something from a certain era or specific event. Although I think Fergal Keane wrote a book or two on the story of Ireland. Not sure how much it covers though.