Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2018, 10:50:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 21, 2018, 09:09:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2018, 08:18:59 PM
Were Tyrone paranoid when they were winning all Irelands or did it develop afterwards?

This skit would never be done on Pat Gilroy or Jack O'Connor.  It wouldn't?

Gilroy has done little to be parody-worthy, while Jacko's preening is much more subtle and only GAA anoraks are really aware of it. Harte has been a good source of material with his Godsaveus stuff and butter-wouldn't-melt public persona. Which is made all the worse when he's overseen the most cynical (at times brutally so) team the sport has ever seen. Comedy usually focuses on hypocrisies so of course there's a bullseye on Harte's arse when it comes to GAA skits.

Don't fall for the Tyronie 'they're all out to us' guff, Bunker.

Aye. It's 'comedy' the sketch was based on.  Take off your glasses and think about that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedHand88

Quote from: Jayop on August 22, 2018, 04:22:19 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2018, 12:43:28 AM
Syferus embarrassing us once more. :-[

Nah mate he's embarrassing only himself. He no more speaks for all of Ross than Lenny speaks for all of Derry. There's plenty of dumb pricks here from Tyrone too and they sure as f**k don't speak for me.

Don't worry rossfan. Syferus speaks for you as much as southtyronegael speaks for me ;)

highorlow

QuoteGilroy has done little to be parody-worthy, while Jacko's preening is much more subtle and only GAA anoraks are really aware of it. Harte has been a good source of material with his Godsaveus stuff and butter-wouldn't-melt public persona. Which is made all the worse when he's overseen the most cynical (at times brutally so) team the sport has ever seen. Comedy usually focuses on hypocrisies so of course there's a bullseye on Harte's arse when it comes to GAA skits.

Don't fall for the Tyronie 'they're all out to us' guff, Bunker.

All a bit ironic coming from someone who was willing to jail 2 innocent men earlier in the year without hearing the full story.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Applesisapples

I've just listened to the sketch there for the first time. Firstly it isn't funny but I fail to see how it makes fun of Michaela's murder. The playing of the song was crass and insensitive. Having relatives who have lost children I can understand though why Mickey Harte would have found it upsetting. Whether it was intentional or not I don't know.

highorlow

QuoteWhether it was intentional or not I don't know.

The Kevin Meyers defence.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

RedHand88

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 22, 2018, 11:37:33 AM
I've just listened to the sketch there for the first time. Firstly it isn't funny but I fail to see how it makes fun of Michaela's murder. The playing of the song was crass and insensitive. Having relatives who have lost children I can understand though why Mickey Harte would have found it upsetting. Whether it was intentional or not I don't know.

It poked fun at Mickey Hartes way of dealing with the grieving process more so than the murder itself. Not sure if that is any better by the way.
Him and the son in law had been to meet the Dalai lama the week before as part of that. Some people may scoff but if it helps him then it shouldn't be mocked.
It was crass, insensitive and honestly if someone had done that on me I wouldn't speak to them again either. Especially after the way RTE mishandled the clean up.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on August 21, 2018, 11:07:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIL2DcHN6ow

First time ever hearing the bit.
1.It's completely unfunny and John Murray is a twat.
2.It's quite clear to anyone with a brain that the tune used is solely because it has Tyrone in its title, no other reason..BUT somebody should have had the cop on to realise it might be best not use THAT tune in the circumstances.
3.If a 1 minute sketch on Radio 1 6 years ago is the sole reason Mickey Harte refuses to talk to the Sunday game to this day, then that is stupid in my view. One has nothing to do with the other and Harte knows that.
4.The truth of course is that this all partially goes back to the Brian Carthy thing, where a county manager got the hump because his favourite commentator didn't get given a certain job by RTE. A fairly ridiculous expectation on Mickey Harte's behalf by any stretch of the imagination.
5.Refusing to deal with RTE will mean a massively reduced media commitment pre-final, so only helps Tyrone really and helps build the siege mentality, which is what Harte wants anyway you'd think.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

omaghjoe

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 22, 2018, 03:30:36 PM

2.It's quite clear to anyone with a brain that the tune used is solely because it has Tyrone in its title, no other reason..BUT somebody should have had the cop on to realise it might be best not use THAT tune in the circumstances.
3.If a 1 minute sketch on Radio 1 6 years ago is the sole reason Mickey Harte refuses to talk to the Sunday game to this day, then that is stupid in my view. One has nothing to do with the other and Harte knows that.
4.The truth of course is that this all partially goes back to the Brian Carthy thing, where a county manager got the hump because his favourite commentator didn't get given a certain job by RTE. A fairly ridiculous expectation on Mickey Harte's behalf by any stretch of the imagination.
5.Refusing to deal with RTE will mean a massively reduced media commitment pre-final, so only helps Tyrone really and helps build the siege mentality, which is what Harte wants anyway you'd think.

.... and your opinion on mocking his grieving process? Which is were my grievance would lie?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 22, 2018, 03:38:37 PM

.... and your opinion on mocking his grieving process? Which is were my grievance would lie?

Surely the Dalai lama thing pales in comparison to the song, no? As I said, the whole "sketch" was stupid, unfunny and idiotic. It was correctly removed from the RTE website and apologised for by Radio 1. I fail to see why any of this would stop Tyrone speaking with the Sunday game. It's akin to saying you wouldn't speak to BBC NI's GAA show because of Jeremy Paxman or something.

"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

RedHand88

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 22, 2018, 03:51:38 PM

Surely the Dalai lama thing pales in comparison to the song, no? As I said, the whole "sketch" was stupid, unfunny and idiotic. It was correctly removed from the RTE website and apologised for by Radio 1. I fail to see why any of this would stop Tyrone speaking with the Sunday game. It's akin to saying you wouldn't speak to BBC NI's GAA show because of Jeremy Paxman or something.

If Jeremy Paxman did what John Murray did and wasn't sacked, rather he was allowed to carry on his show for several years and is still employed, then no Tyrone would not speak to BBC.

omaghjoe

Eh no....Are you aware of why Mickey Harte was associated witht the Dali Lama at that time?

Under Lights

Mickey wouldn't allow any of the Errigal players speak to TG4 in the run up to the Ulster Final either, its in his book. The fall out is an excuse to promote seige mentality and also reduce the distractions to his team.

screenexile

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 22, 2018, 04:09:02 PM

If Jeremy Paxman did what John Murray did and wasn't sacked, rather he was allowed to carry on his show for several years and is still employed, then no Tyrone would not speak to BBC.

Sacked??!! Wise up!

Sweeper 123

Sad state of affairs, what happens if they win the AI and the banquet is hosted by RTE etc will they not turn up speak to the cameras; supporters want to hear from the players and the management he is not punishing RTe but alot of GAA supporters are missing out here.

If he wasnt manager would the ban still be in place?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on August 22, 2018, 04:50:19 PM
Sad state of affairs, what happens if they win the AI and the banquet is hosted by RTE etc will they not turn up speak to the cameras; supporters want to hear from the players and the management he is not punishing RTe but alot of GAA supporters are missing out here.

If he wasnt manager would the ban still be in place?

There's any number of interviews on TTM and a host of other online channels. I think they should arrange with TTM to stream the banquet on their website for an hour or so that evening. I don't think fans will lose out too much.
That was never a square ball!!