What's your earliest soccer World Cup memory?

Started by seafoid, October 26, 2022, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

I vaguely remember Tudor crisps?  running a promotion for sabutteo for Italia 90. 

imtommygunn

imtommygunn

Oops wrong thread. Italia 90 first memory but also remember Euro 88 well. 86 was a bit too early though I may have vague memories of the hand of god.

Milltown Row2

No memory of the football to be fair but remember the ticker tape final in Argentina 78... That I suppose set me up for the 82 finals

Not sure how I'm going to take to these finals, as I've got older the interest has waned somewhat, I'll watch a club final before any soccer match tbh
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on October 27, 2022, 08:45:40 AM
Mine is Italia 90. First time really paying any attention to sport on the TV. Brother was in Rome during it too so brought home some of the merchandise.

The Ireland England game started it off and I remember watching nearly every game once it got going. Idolised Paul McGrath after that. And Bonner for that penalty save - not so much after 94.

Baker Bradley marked Packie Bonner for Derry Minors back in the day. Has no relevance here i know but its another piece of useless trivia for you boys to carry on your way.

Now, as you were 😉😃

bennydorano

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2022, 09:10:49 AM
No memory of the football to be fair but remember the ticker tape final in Argentina 78... That I suppose set me up for the 82 finals

Not sure how I'm going to take to these finals, as I've got older the interest has waned somewhat, I'll watch a club final before any soccer match tbh
A TV godsend for the most depressing month of the year

WT4E

O'Leary Penalty

The the next thing was Italy Ireland if my memory is right that game was played in the evening during the week. Came home from football traing I went to with my father to the news that Schillaci had scored. Proper days when you didnt put Gaelic off in favour of soccer. :D

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2022, 09:10:49 AM

I said earlier my memory of Mexico 86 was a bit hazy but I still remember more of it than the last 4 world cups. Funny how when you have no team to follow it all becomes a bit of a bore. Defo lost a lot of its magic with so many pub teams in it and FIFA the wankers want more crap teams in and to host it every 2 yrs ffs. Get back to 24 or 32 teams and have the best in the world there, seriously nobody wants to see Saudi Arabia play Panama

pbat

86 got the panini sticker book, could never get Maradon's sticker. The father had a wealthy cousin in England used to come home every few years. He came home in the middle of Mexico 86 and bought me 50 packets of stickers and Maradona was among them. Wish I had of kept that sticker album.

J70

'82 for me. Gerry Armstrong, Falcao's celebration after scoring in their classic loss against Italy, the semi between W Germany and France (and Schumacher the ****!), Maradona getting kicked off the field by the Italians, then sealing a disappointing first WC by getting the line against Brazil (setting him up for the ultimate triumph four years later).

J70

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 27, 2022, 09:15:25 AM
Mine is Italia 90. First time really paying any attention to sport on the TV. Brother was in Rome during it too so brought home some of the merchandise.

The Ireland England game started it off and I remember watching nearly every game once it got going. Idolised Paul McGrath after that. And Bonner for that penalty save - not so much after 94.

Baker Bradley marked Packie Bonner for Derry Minors back in the day. Has no relevance here i know but its another piece of useless trivia for you boys to carry on your way.

Now, as you were 😉😃

I didn't know that.

That's awesome!

J70

Quote from: gawa316 on October 26, 2022, 11:28:36 PM
Cameroon beating Argentina at Italia 90

Stand out image from that game for me was the three man operation to clean Claudio Canniggia out of it in the last minute.

First man goes in, Canniggia effortlessly sidesteps it. Second goes flying in, Claudio rides it and stumbles but somehow manages to stay on his feet and keep going. Third guy comes in knee-high and just launches him into the air! Red card.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: J70 on October 27, 2022, 12:51:21 PM
'82 for me. Gerry Armstrong, Falcao's celebration after scoring in their classic loss against Italy, the semi between W Germany and France (and Schumacher the ****!), Maradona getting kicked off the field by the Italians, then sealing a disappointing first WC by getting the line against Brazil (setting him up for the ultimate triumph four years later).

All this for me. I remember watching Gerry Armstrong scoring on my great aunts house in Castlefinn.

When they showed the replay all the older ladies celebrated again. 🙂

The muffled commentary at 82 and older World Cups gave a real sense of a far off land the you just don't get anymore. Also, as stated, far too many countries in it these days.

82 my first memory, but still have a clear memory of Manuel Negrete scoring a clinker for Mexico in 86.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bigarsedkeeper

Now, as you were 😉😃

That's a future quiz question in the making there. Brilliant to find stuff like that.

Cork v Dublin vocational hurling final/semi with Cork nr 6 named as D Irwin marking nr 11 N Quinn is always one that stands out.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: J70 on October 27, 2022, 12:53:35 PM

Now, as you were 😉😃

I didn't know that.

That's awesome!

Told to me by the man himself. Baker not Packie lolol.
Twas league not champo tbf but still. Some trivia to impress the ladies 😉😃