What's your earliest soccer World Cup memory?

Started by seafoid, October 26, 2022, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

I've vivid memories of the 78 world cup Mario Kempes, Archie Gemill and ticker tape in particular

An Watcher

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 26, 2022, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on October 26, 2022, 10:18:29 PM
My earliest memory Is having Espana 82  stickers on my bike.  I only started watching during Mexico 86

Same here I remember the mascot orange stickers but nothing of the games in 82.

I remember pretty much the whole of the 86 tournament. Josimar against Northern Ireland, Maradonna against England, Belgium, West Germany,. Lineker top scorer, Ray Wilkins getting sent off.

Remember Scotlands Group of Death from 86, West Germany, Uruguay and Denmark I think

gawa316

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: ONeill on October 26, 2022, 10:57:59 PM
Vague is Gerry Armstrong v Spain 82.

More vivid was France v Spain in 84 final, especially Platini's goal. (Sorry, Euros)

There was something magical about players outside of the English league back then.

N Ire v Spain here. Something special about the satelitte pics and fuzzy commentary from the time.
Main memory was Germany France in the semi. As a young lad it seemed to go on about 3hrs. Such drama. A German fan from then on, never knew when they were bate. Although in later years you respected the brilliance of that French team

Platini in the 84 Euros was peerless ONeill. Quality.

Good thread

ONeill

I'll add to that and remember the class of that Danish team 84-86.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Has to be Schillachi Italia 90. Also Milla. There were some amount of boys in school doing the Milla shuffle after that 😂😂

SaffronSports

One of the best things about lockdown was the classic World Cup games thing they showed on TV as there was no live sport.

thewobbler

For me it was the NI v England qualifier in 85, the Alan McDonald game. Was only getting into football at that stage. Remember staying up to watch it. By the time Mexico 86 came along I was obsessed with the game. And then Maradona. Wow.

Watched every game, seemingly most of them on a black and white tv in my room at silly o clock.

One of the earlier games of that tournament was Argentina v Italy. My mother made me go to confession that night when the game was on. I was fuming, and still was a day later. That was my last confession at 10 years old.

Was absolutely livid when my new hero Elkjaer got tamed by Spain. And I was fascinated with England; the TV cameras at training sessions, the non-stop coverage. But Diego made everything right in the end. Not by beating England. But by just being exceptional. Nobody passed the ball in school for a year after that. It was all about being maradona. Genius.

Gmac

Remember a young maradonna getting sent off against Brazil I think in 82

An Watcher

johnnycool

Brazil in 82.

Zico, Junior and the lads, got beat by Italy in the semi-final by Paulo Rossi.

Everyone wanted to be Zico in the playground that summer.

grounded

Trading stickers in 82 and 86. There was war in the playground.

seafoid

Spain had a player called Ufarte in 82. It was hilarious.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: An Watcher on October 27, 2022, 07:25:40 AM
Anyone remember Rats in 86?

Vasyl Rats scored a worldie past Joel Bats....it was like the Rodent World Cup!!!

bigarsedkeeper

Mine is Italia 90. First time really paying any attention to sport on the TV. Brother was in Rome during it too so brought home some of the merchandise.

The Ireland England game started it off and I remember watching nearly every game once it got going. Idolised Paul McGrath after that. And Bonner for that penalty save - not so much after 94.