Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiff breeze

What about the standard of football in comparison ?

Targetman

Watched it myself, apart from Crossmaglen the standard in Armagh in my opinion is poor enough, Cross did win easy but watching them play is easy on the eye compared to the endless fist passing and negative play we see in Down week in week out, if they overcome Ballybay them and Kilcoo would be very interesting!

general_lee

Quote from: stiff breeze on October 23, 2022, 05:36:17 PM
There's a couple of clubs that are intermediate standard in the Armagh championship and on todays showing you'd be forgiven for thinking Granemore were one of them.

thewobbler

Wasn't great. Granemore reminded me of how so many teams Approach Kilcoo; over coached to the point of paralysis - zero risks apart occasionally lumping it long, ending up as their entire output. .

supersub

Mickey Donnelly into the Down setup.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: thewobbler on October 23, 2022, 06:32:25 PM

Wasn't great. Granemore reminded me of how so many teams Approach Kilcoo; over coached to the point of paralysis - zero risks apart occasionally lumping it long, ending up as their entire output. .

The amount of money the McAleenans and Sloan are on - they would need to be coached to paralysis. How someone who has won absolutely zero at club level manager can walk into a club and ask for that sort of money is beyond me. He may feel he earned it by being at CPN and getting pittance but developed us. Still won nothing.

lumpitin

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 23, 2022, 08:00:40 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 23, 2022, 06:32:25 PM

The amount of money the McAleenans and Sloan are on - they would need to be coached to paralysis. How someone who has won absolutely zero at club level manager can walk into a club and ask for that sort of money is beyond me. He may feel he earned it by being at CPN and getting pittance but developed us. Still won nothing.

I'm surprised they'd tell you what they get.
You must be very great with them.

Truth hurts

the u20 competition is turning into a farce

good appointment with Mickey Donnelly coming in, I am excited as a Down supporter for the coming year. We have the right men in our set ups and we have a lot to look forward to.
Lavo, Marty, Donnelly, Benny, Darren and Donal know what it takes o be a county player.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 24, 2022, 10:21:36 AM
the u20 competition is turning into a farce

good appointment with Mickey Donnelly coming in, I am excited as a Down supporter for the coming year. We have the right men in our set ups and we have a lot to look forward to.
Lavo, Marty, Donnelly, Benny, Darren and Donal know what it takes o be a county player.

What's wrong with the u20 competition?

thewobbler

I'm interested in learning this too Truth Hurts.

Truth hurts

Downpatrick and Longstone didn't field yesterday, it's fair to say that's farcical.

Carryduff hammering teams after taking players in on sanctions (when They were already strong),  it's also fair to say that's farcical.

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 24, 2022, 10:51:35 AM
Downpatrick and Longstone didn't field yesterday, it's fair to say that's farcical.

Carryduff hammering teams after taking players in on sanctions (when They were already strong),  it's also fair to say that's farcical.

On the first point, it highlights the constant problem with this age group. Someone in a club will do a headcount of available players, and if there's enough they will enter. But if numbers are tight, it won't take much more than a handful of injuries and walkaways to arrive at not fielding. I think there is an inevitability about this each year: it'll always happen to one or two clubs.

But your second point isn't fair at all. The situation that County Board has created, whereby players from clubs that cannot field, can gain a temporary sanction to another club, is actually a good partial solution to this problem; for it mitigates internal club pressure to enter a competition when will likely struggle to field.

I know you think there might be a perfect solution here whereby the county board intervenes on every sanction and forces the players to "under-subscribed" teams only. But there's not. By virtue of entering a competition a club has indicated that they have the player numbers already in place, to compete. Which means that technically every one of them is "over-subscribed" and have no need for sanctioned help.

maldini

Down senior team started training yesterday
Any word on the newcomers to the panel?

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on October 24, 2022, 11:56:51 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 24, 2022, 10:51:35 AM

On the first point, it highlights the constant problem with this age group. Someone in a club will do a headcount of available players, and if there's enough they will enter. But if numbers are tight, it won't take much more than a handful of injuries and walkaways to arrive at not fielding. I think there is an inevitability about this each year: it'll always happen to one or two clubs.

But your second point isn't fair at all. The situation that County Board has created, whereby players from clubs that cannot field, can gain a temporary sanction to another club, is actually a good partial solution to this problem; for it mitigates internal club pressure to enter a competition when will likely struggle to field.

I know you think there might be a perfect solution here whereby the county board intervenes on every sanction and forces the players to "under-subscribed" teams only. But there's not. By virtue of entering a competition a club has indicated that they have the player numbers already in place, to compete. Which means that technically every one of them is "over-subscribed" and have no need for sanctioned help.

A club with the catchment of Carryduff should not be allowed a sanction, it defeats the purpose of this competition. They hammered the Point yesterday and fair play to Warrenpoint who played A when they could have hid in the B competion like a few other big named clubs, The county board should be sayng where teams play.