Lent

Started by randomtask, March 09, 2011, 12:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomtask

With all this talk of prayer and god do people still believe in lent for religious reasons? Or is it now more a convenient calender date to stay healthy?

Personally im going of gambling, goodluck to anyone who is going of something :D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: randomtask on March 09, 2011, 12:16:26 AM
With all this talk of prayer and god do people still believe in lent for religious reasons? Or is it now more a convenient calender date to stay healthy?

Personally im going of gambling, goodluck to anyone who is going of something :D
I was thinking of going off being a grammar nazi.

Seriously though, I suspect that this custom originated as a way of burning off the fat accumulated over winter and was later appropriated by the early Christian church as one of their own. Same as Yuletide (Christmas), Easter and just about any other festival you care to mention.

ballinaman

Going to try and cut down on the swearing myself!! Got wicked bad this last while...it's all these Fa#kin Aussies!!

J OGorman

crisps, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks (solidarity with the weans)

Agnes Dipesto

Crisps, all sweet stuff, white bread and red wine.

illdecide

Sweets, crisps, chocolate, lemonade, any type of chippy food and all type of bread
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Banana Man

fast women and slow horses for me!

EC Unique

Quote from: illdecide on March 09, 2011, 10:57:06 AM
Sweets, crisps, chocolate, lemonade, any type of chippy food and all type of bread

Fcuk! I would fade away to nothing!

supersarsfields

Of all sweet stuff, crisps etc. Needed to lose a spot of wait anyway and sure if I can get myself to heaven in the mean time as well sure why not!!

Does many still fast today? Just had my first bite to eat there. Was starving!!

haranguerer

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 09, 2011, 01:31:47 AM
Quote from: randomtask on March 09, 2011, 12:16:26 AM

I was thinking of going off being a grammar nazi.

Seriously though, I suspect that this custom originated as a way of burning off the fat accumulated over winter and was later appropriated by the early Christian church as one of their own. Same as Yuletide (Christmas), Easter and just about any other festival you care to mention.

Fat accumulated by lying up in front of the tv, is it?  ::)

Hilltresk

Currently enjoying a can of coke, turkey sandwich and a twix. Ash Wednesday................Meh

illdecide

Quote from: EC Unique on March 09, 2011, 12:34:06 PM
Quote from: illdecide on March 09, 2011, 10:57:06 AM

Fcuk! I would fade away to nothing!

Thats my aim
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Maguire01

Cigarettes, Alcohol and Rollerblading

Fear ón Srath Bán

Inner Mongolian Yak's milk (only fair -- went off Outer Mongolian Yak's milk last year).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trueblue1234

Well how did people get on with their Lenten sacrifaces?

Just out of interest when did people stop lent? We always kept it going til Easter Sunday. I know offically it ends on Holy Thursday. And some people finish at noon on the sat or after vigil mass. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit