Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Read Colm O Rourke's piece in the Independent today.
Wonderful summary of what the GPA really are and stand for.

twohands!!!

QuoteIn case you missed it, there was a massive promotion of hurling last weekend. No, it wasn't in Fermanagh, Tyrone or Leitrim. It wasn't even in Offaly or Antrim, where things are not going too well at present.

This hurling promotion event was in the Mets' Citi Field in New York. Four Irish teams - Kilkenny, Limerick, Tipperary and Wexford - played out this new-fangled version, with soccer goals and some type of scoring system which nobody understands.

I imagine the promotion of hurling would be better served by these four teams spending a weekend in some of the weaker counties, maybe doing a bit of training with teams on a Saturday, with an exhibition match against the county side on Sunday. And Saturday night would also offer countless promotion possibilities with various types of functions. Players could be looked after financially too, because nobody would disagree with that type of initiative.

The mongrel breed of hurling last weekend was a GPA-organised junket. If the GAA want to give top players a break in New York then the best of luck to them, but don't try to dress it up as some sort of promotion for the ancient game of hurling.

The GPA were at it again, too, that weekend with one of their lavish dinners to honour some top Irish person, or Irish American. On this occasion it was Seán Mulryan. The format is the same. Get some well known and successful businessman (no poor man ever gets honoured) and sell tables on the strength of their name.

The packages vary from $25,000 for the Liam MacCarthy package down to $2,500 for the O'Duffy version. For the top payers, there is exclusive access to all the, em, big wigs in the GPA, tickets for all types of events, including the All-Ireland and a Ryder Cup style golf tournament in both the US and Ireland. The favoured course in Ireland to look after all these important people is the K Club.

I have been wondering what exclusive access means - perhaps it is up to intellectuals like Donal Óg Cusack, who could lecture on how British Imperialism still has an effect on the sweeper system in hurling. Or perhaps Dessie Farrell could tell everyone like myself how in God's good name this charade in New York or, the week before in Boston, has anything to do with the GAA. Some of the old guard never seem to leave the GPA, even when they have no official positions.

To me, the GPA is a Dublin-dominated organisation which has looked after its own very well. I was surprised Seán Mulryan took up their offer. He has put huge resources, both financial and otherwise, into Roscommon GAA and the Hospice in Roscommon-Mayo among other things, so he is a man of substance. He does not need the GPA who now unashamedly espouse completely different values to what the GAA is about. The GPA look after the few, the GAA traditionally stood for the many until they sold out.

The existing three-year agreement between the GPA and the GAA is now up for renewal. The old agreement gave the GPA over €3m a year, but worse still, 15 per cent of commercial revenue. It was a bad deal with the prospect of getting worse. How could the GAA give away so much money to an independent organisation, especially without being able to exercise oversight or control? This money could have helped a lot of clubs who desperately need grants for playing fields and dressing rooms.

Of course the GAA at central level will claim that they have control over the GPA. Do they control the wages and expenses paid to their executives? The same ones who could be enticed away by Google or Intel or the Kerry Group or some other multi-million euro company if they did not pay them such wages. That's a joke by the way.

Did the GAA agree with the number of people who were brought to New York and Boston and were part of the fundraising dinner?

I ask because at a recent Central Council meeting there was annoyance expressed that a fundraising dinner was going ahead in New York which was in direct contravention of an agreement with the GPA. The real question now is, who runs the GAA?

What will the leaders of all us rank and file foot soldiers do about this? Will they roll over again and give the GPA what they want when a new deal is agreed while the GPA laughs, and does the opposite to what was agreed? The GAA in New York badly needs funds for the refit of Gaelic Park. The last thing needed is the plundering of the city for a group who represent two per cent of the Association. New York is now seen as some type of GPA cash dispenser.

The GPA may view people like me as dinosaurs who do not understand their great work - all the well-being issues tackled and grants towards exclusive college scholarships. I would love to see the breakdown of where all those scholarships have gone. I suspect there would be a weighting towards Dublin. When I raised this before the GPA tried to silence me and embarrass a former Meath player who had been helped. If that tactic had been tried on the pitch I would have attempted grievous bodily harm on those involved! And there would have been a long queue of comrades to help.

The GPA put huge emphasis on player welfare projects. In my own profession I know a lot about that subject. If the GPA think this is a big part of their role then perhaps the government will cut the grants to players as the GPA seem to be making so much money from other sources and helping those who should be getting assistance through the HSE. They obviously don't need the money.

But that is what you are dealing with here. A group who really believe the guiding principles of the GAA do not apply to them and that I need to be sent to the Russian Gulags for some type of indoctrination. Maybe they also think that there are many thousands like me who do not appreciate this new form of hurling. Maybe it will end up in the Olympics - although at least we would be guaranteed gold medals.

Well that is not my idea of the GAA - past, present or future. My view of our great sporting body is that it is for everyone and status or success does not confer greater rights or power on anyone. The idea of a players' group which is organised and financed outside the control of the GAA is completely contradictory to the guiding principles which have made the GAA so successful but is now being attacked from within by our most precious commodity, our greatest players. Self-interest is not good for the GAA. The players have all the power. With it comes responsibilities. Might does not mean right.

Let me be clear on one thing. The GAA does need a body representing players, one that plays a key role in the big questions like fixtures, burn-out, scholarships and so on. However, it should be from within the GAA, not as some outside agency which takes the money but none of the responsibility. The GPA should be playing a much bigger role on things like fixtures at the moment rather than swanning around Boston and New York when issues at home are far more important. What has this to do with the GAA?

Furthermore, I do believe that there is a large body of players in weaker counties who are not happy with the GPA and feel a ruling clique have lost the run of themselves when they should be going back to basics.

The GAA is facing a crisis on this issue. The GAA at central level have no control over the GPA, in fact the tail is giving the dog a right good wagging. So the GAA at central level has a choice. If the GPA wishes to continue as an independent body then good luck to them. However, that should mean they lose all financial contributions and they can paddle their own canoe. Or they can become a vibrant voice for players from within.

We will soon see whether those elected officials on behalf of the GAA run the organisation on the basis of equality and in the interest of all members or whether a small group are allowed plunder the entire body. It's time to stand up and be counted lads.

About the bits I've bolded - anecdotally I've heard the same about there being a serious variation in terms of what players in different counties have "got" from the GPA, with those counties with GPA insiders benefitting far more than other counties.

imtommygunn

Dungannon really on the up. Playing week in week out against good opposition up is what is helping them. Expect them in Antrim division one soon enough.

manfromdelmonte

Good to see O'Rourke talking sense

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 24, 2019, 07:29:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 24, 2019, 07:10:20 PM
Dungannon really on the up. Playing week in week out against good opposition up is what is helping them. Expect them in Antrim division one soon enough.

Certainly doing well. Opened their own grounds a couple of years ago, and had a Feile team that won a Division 2 Cup a few years ago too. They also reached the final of the Ulster Club MHC tournament at Ballinascreen having won the shield title earlier this year. A very passionate & dedicated bunch within Eoghain Ruadh, they take teams all over the place for games. Their dominance at youth level in Tyrone however is coming at a cost somewhat since they've won everything in sight the last few years in the county with only a few teams operating with several of them fledgling and getting footholds where hurling was rarely if ever seen before, but that is not Eoghain Ruadh's problem to deal with, that's for the county hurling committee. Geography definitely an advantage for them and Naomh Colmcille, whom both compete in the Antrim leagues and don't have to travel too far to get competitive games against the strongest sides in Ulster. Further west in Tyrone, it's more difficult to be able to do this although Omagh have been putting efforts in at the younger levels in both hurling & camogie. At present the biggest barrier is getting club teams fielded beyond Under 14 levels.

Getting to division one in Antrim would be a big thing for them and I definitely think it is on the horizon. Yep it will be hard to get the standards up everywhere but at least there is an avenue for teams to do it now with the Antrim league becoming a bit more of an Ulster league. Carryduff and Bredagh benefitting greatly too.

Anyway, back to the thread...

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 24, 2019, 08:37:51 PM
Ah yeah, he knows people will lap up his lies.

I would love to see the breakdown of where all those scholarships have gone. I suspect there would be a weighting towards Dublin.

So Dublin, with the highest population and the highest number of applications, get the highest number of scholarships. Shock, horror!

A lower percentage of Dublin applicants get scholarships than anywhere else.

So the highest number of scholarships go to Dublin, yet an individual Dub finds it harder to win GPA related scholarships than people from anywhere else. Can you figure that one out Colm, or would that be too high brow for the sheep that you aim your column at?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hound on November 25, 2019, 01:51:34 PM

I would love to see the breakdown of where all those scholarships have gone. I suspect there would be a weighting towards Dublin.

So Dublin, with the highest population and the highest number of applications, get the highest number of scholarships. Shock, horror!

So the highest number of scholarships go to Dublin, yet an individual Dub finds it harder to win GPA related scholarships than people from anywhere else. Can you figure that one out Colm, or would that be too high brow for the sheep that you aim your column at?
Lets see the numbers so we can figure this all out for our selves

joemamas

Can you answer the Q, as to the total disregard for the NY GAA who have embarked on the long over due( Not their fault as they did not own property)rebuilding of Gaelic Park.
Why did the GPA feel the need to "fund raise" in NY this year.

Do you think Colm was lying about the former Meath player he mentioned. He comes across to me as a straight shooter, and not one who would make up stories or lies.

I am not a member, nor have been, but I did respect the opinion of a former paid up member who contributed a page or two back. I suppose he is also a "sheep".

It is actually called having an opinion.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

It strikes me that the GAA's strategy with the GPA is similar to what Westminster did in NI in the mid-nineties.

The NI Assembly was formed with wildly OTT excesses in terms of member numbers, salaries, expenses, pensions, and support staff allowances. The idea, I believe, being that if you throw enough money at the right people, they can enjoy the trappings that come with it, and will help in no little part smooth any problem away. It was basically bribery to toe the line.

The GPA seems to have developed a similar purpose. Chuck enough money at the key influencers and more active organisers. Allow them some podium space to further their profiles. Give them all the rope they want, and only pull them into line behind closed doors. All you ask for in return is not to upset the applecart when the big boys are playing big boy games.

I expect it too will falter sometime in the future, when a change of leadership with a narrower focus comes along. But that leadership will probably still be paid too, to do nothing in the background, so long as it doesn't interfere with the big boys playing their big boy games.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: joemamas on November 25, 2019, 04:29:27 PM

Can you answer the Q, as to the total disregard for the NY GAA who have embarked on the long over due( Not their fault as they did not own property)rebuilding of Gaelic Park.

Do you think Colm was lying about the former Meath player he mentioned. He comes across to me as a straight shooter, and not one who would make up stories or lies.

I am not a member, nor have been, but I did respect the opinion of a former paid up member who contributed a page or two back. I suppose he is also a "sheep".

As O'Rourke alludes to in his article and as many of us have been saying for years, the GPA view the USA as an ATM to be plundered. If the GAA were to behave the way the GPA carries on they'd be branded the "Grab All Association."

The GPA's fundraising efforts in the USA are a smash-and-grab. Throw together a high profile event with the backing of some big-shot Irish American businesspeople who probably don't have much GAA involvement, host the "star studded" event in a fancy hotel (make sure to repeat the phrase "star studded" in all the publicity), rake in the cash, stick it in your pocket, take it home, and pay no heed to the local USGAA/NYGAA who would give anything to have that level of fundraising firepower. Throw them a few thousand dollars as crumbs from the table if they make a bit of noise about it, but apart from that give nothing to those little people.

Gael85

Quote from: joemamas on November 25, 2019, 04:29:27 PM

Darren Fay was the Meath player in question. O'Rourke was unhappy with Sean Potts statement at the time and rightly so.

https://www.the42.ie/colm-orourke-gpa-2-1735824-Oct2014/

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/colm-orourke-gpas-argument-doesnt-add-up-30693418.html

manfromdelmonte

Not going to be a total eejit here, but I'd say a young lad/lassie living in Dublin and going to college in Dublin is not going to need a scholarship as much as eg a player from Clare, or Leitrim or Cavan

manfromdelmonte

why do the GPA need a healthcare partner?
what does that actually mean??

I had to laugh at these two bits in the press release

The partnership and sponsorship agreement means that UPMC, which offers trusted, high-quality health services at UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford and other facilities in Ireland, will work with these sporting organisations to promote the health of Gaelic Players and the communities in which they play.
except the club players will see nothing from it

"UPMC has a long tradition of caring for athletes at all levels, including the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Penguins" said David Beirne, senior vice president of UPMC International and managing director of UPMC in Ireland.
so two professional sports teams

TheGreatest

Is the GPA Dublin centric?  I see Mark Vaughan (If you remember him) is on a scholarship, hes in his mid 30s and hasnt played since 2010 or so.

The GPA has benefits but they need to open up about structures, salaries, who gets what and where and why.