Best Club Rivalries in the GAA

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 11, 2007, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

Derry- Newbridge  and Ballymaguigan ( In the 80's Newbridge and Ballinderry)
  Antrim- Creggan and Tir Na Nog ( Randalstown )

illdecide

Quote from: full back on February 18, 2008, 03:54:11 PM
Are you A4SA in disguise?
Just because two teams are successful doesnt mean they have the biggest rivalry. In order to have a rivalry, you dont need to be successful just have a healthy hatred for the opposition. There are many other rivalries within the county which would match & indeed succeed Cross & Clans.
BTW I take by history you mean over 15 years ago, because the Clans have had very very little success since then ;)

Now Now Fullback there's no call for your we smart arse remarks as the question was on rivals not what Clans haven't won in the last 15 years. And considering your club has not broke much delph recently ;) :D you should be quiet and we'll leave it at that...

Harps v Ogs
Clans v Cross

I'll tell you about a rivalry that many would never have heard off and it was between Kilwarlin v St Michaels (Magherlin) Co Down these shower of dung spreaders beat the living shit from one and other and as i recall St Michaels are the only team that had to call for the RUC to break up the fighting which included the local priest :D :D :D :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on February 13, 2008, 11:43:05 AM
Ask Cross who they hate the most and its Clans....

In all fairness you could stick any team in there where you have Cross.

The Harps v Keady is nasty pretty much all of the time (at any age group) and the rivalry (for anyone who knows anything ::))stretches back to the late 40's and all of the 50's when they were two of the best teams in Armagh and beyond.

full back

Quote from: illdecide on February 18, 2008, 04:54:34 PM
Now Now Fullback there's no call for your we smart arse remarks as the question was on rivals not what Clans haven't won in the last 15 years. And considering your club has not broke much delph recently ;) :D you should be quiet and we'll leave it at that...

Here come the cavalry  :D
Less of that illdecide ;)
The point I was making is that you dont have to be successful to have intense rivalry.

Henryjoy

Not too many people in derry like seeing ballymaguigan do anything i know most teams round them hate them

orangeman

What about a Frank Murphy selction versus  Donal Og Cusack select ???;D

Uladh

There are no rivalries in armagh club ootball worth talking about in the last 13 years. the last "rivalry" there was was mullaghbawn and cross

Clans vs cross is akin to listing the romans and the gauls

TacadoirArdMhacha

Silverbridge and St Pat's have a more than healthy dislike for each other Uladh although I suppose you could say that about any 2 neighbouring clubs. Probably no more so than Killeavy / Dromintee, Cruppen/ Shane's etc.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bennydorano

Quote from: Uladh on February 18, 2008, 11:23:07 PM

There are no rivalries in armagh club ootball worth talking about in the last 13 years. the last "rivalry" there was was mullaghbawn and cross

Clans vs cross is akin to listing the romans and the gauls

Nonsense, the two worst teams in the county can be the biggest of rivals, success (relative or not) has nothing to do with it.  Also, I'd say about 70% of the county wouldn't have knew there was a rivalry between Cross and Mullaghabawn only for that documentary.

winsamsoon

Full back it doesn't matter that the clans haven't been successfull in Armagh for 15 years because no one else has been either. The rivalry still exists between the Clans and the Cross. Benny you can't say that you can just throw any team in against the Cross because this would be completely ludicrous. Rivalries have to be based on something??? Sure enough local neighbouring communities are going to have local rivalries this is because they are living in each others pockets and the slagging and banter is never far away. But when you have a rivalry between two clubs at opposite ends of a county then i ask you guys what is it based on???? The answer it has to be success and history. The Clans and Cross battled it out for supremacy in Armagh football albeit many years ago but this legacy still exists and still adds an edge to any game they play. You also have the hatred of the  soccer playing Northy's, coming up to South Armagh to dare and challenge the supremacy of the Gaelic loving South Armagh brigade. I know this because i have listened to many a supporter in south Armagh shouting onto the pitch about soccer players. I also need to mention the tooting horn brigade that seem to attend every game and continually beep as there team are losing by ten points :D :D. The rivalry exists between Clans and Cross if you deny it then it is a case of an unwillingness to see past the end of your own nose.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

full back

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 19, 2008, 10:38:47 AM
You also have the hatred of the  soccer playing Northy's, coming up to South Armagh to dare and challenge the supremacy of the Gaelic loving South Armagh brigade.

:D :D
Fcuk you winsam, I just spilled my tea all over the place :D

corn02

From Dromintee eyes I would consider Cross to be a big rival at the moment and although never getting over the barrier, the sides have produced some great games in the last decade.

Our rivals, howver, are undoubtebly Killeavy. Always was, always will be. To get over your neighbour is a a source of great enjoyment and indeed neighbouring parish rivalries are what this association was founded on.

Uladh

Next door neighbour rivalries exist in very parish in ireland. you could list every pair of neighbouring club and you have a local derby. for there to be real rivalry between clubs, one criteria would certainly be people from other clubs travelling to a league game between two teams in anticipation.

The only game i'd put in that category this season would be cullyhanna v Cross

corn02

The best club rivalry is always your own.

The only one I remeber travelling outside the County specifically for would be St Pats v Cooley, so going on your reasoning Uladh that would be a big rivalry because I know there were plenty did the same.

I also know for a fact that the Cross v Dromintee game had people from all over Ulster at it.

bennydorano

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 19, 2008, 10:38:47 AM
Benny you can't say that you can just throw any team in against the Cross because this would be completely ludicrous. Rivalries have to be based on something???

You misunderstood me, I just meant everyone else hates you, not just Cross.

Plus, a little reminder for you, Clans are Third in the Armagh Roll of Honour. (Ulster Club Titles conveniently ingnored :))