Best Club Rivalries in the GAA

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 11, 2007, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Orior at the moment Cross and Dromintee would be a very strong rivarly seeing as they are the top two teams in the County, however Dromintee are relatively new to the senior championship stage and therefore would not be as strong as the likes of Crossv Silverbridge.

There would be no love lost in most games in South Armagh particualry in the Bandit area of Cross, Cullyhanna and Cullaville.

stephenite

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 12, 2007, 02:58:33 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 12, 2007, 02:55:30 PM
Don't know if this is true or not, maybe it's just me but I think that Crossmolina dislike Knockmore more than Ballina and Ballina dislike Knockmore more than Crossmolina. Could Stephenite or any of the Deel Rovers lads say whether it's my own paranoia of these two clubs or not?
Ah no Farrandeelin we in cross dislike both Knockmore and Ballina equally :D :D

I'd say it's as much of a muchness.

There would probably be more Knockmore lads who would go to Muredeachs, and therefore would have more of a connection to some of the Ballina lads - this can mean more slaps during the game but more chance of going for a few pints after the game. At least that's the way it was in my day

Recent clashes at senior level have had their share of controversy with neither of the three clubs being completley blameless ( does that littel mouth of a full back read the board? He'll know who he is and what I'm on about if he is reading )

Homer

Not club rivalry but the greatest rivalry known to GAA has to be between Cavan and Kilkenny... passionate games.

Mack the finger

Quote from: Spiritof98 on June 12, 2007, 10:21:44 AM
In Armagh as a Harps man the Ogs are the big rivals but the two teams both hate Keady, does anyone like Keady?? ???

Think it works both ways - lot of the county doesn't differentiate between og's and harps -  not liked.

Candyman

Keady are definately up there with Granemore as the most hated team in the county!!!

loughshore lad

Quote from: laceer on June 12, 2007, 04:58:16 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2007, 02:58:05 PM
Without doubt, it has to be Ardboe and Moortown in Tyrone.
didn't frank mcguigan play against his brother in an ardboe v moortown county final?

Franks brother Stevie marked him when Ardboe played Moortown in the 1983 County semi final. Frank scored the winner - some would contest after he pushed Stevie in the back to win the ball!  Serious fierce rivalry between Ardboe and Moortown back then as they were both 2 of the best teams about. 

thebandit

Quote from: corn02 on June 12, 2007, 11:34:48 PM
the Bandit area of Cross, Cullyhanna and Cullaville.

That's a generalisation of the highest order!

BTW It's Culloville

orangeman

What games they were in 1983 in Annagher - unbelievable - Moortown raced into what was considered un unassailable lead only to be pegged back by Ardboe - Gerry Higgins missed an opportunity to become immortal at the final whistle of the drawn game. Mick Muldoon had previously equalised from a free - it was from away out on the sideline ( off the ground of course ) -some people say now that he was on the Stewartstown road !!!!!! I think that might be a wee bit of an exaggeration but it was certainly a good 140yds out !

Obviously Ardboe won the replay - but those certainly were the glory days as regards inter parish rivalry.

The thing that is fairly unique is that both Moortown and Ardboe are in the same smallish parish which makes the rivalry even more acute.

brokencrossbar1

It depends what you call rivalry.  With Cross the current rivals are Dromintee but there is no historical one, same with Mullaghbawn.  The Bridge would have been fierce rivals but not any more.  Historically Clans would be the big ones and even up to recent years there was more needle in those games than any others.

Over the Bar, as Armaghniac stated I have gone over this till I am sick, so fcuk off back into your hole in Tyrone and when you have soemthing worthwhile to say then come back out.

Fair Play

Carlow Town:

Éire Óg v O Hanrahans (Blues)
Éire Óg / O Hanrahans v Graiguecullen Graigue play in Laois)

Éire Óg and O Hanrahans massive rivals. EO with 5 Leinster Clubs and O Hans with 1, all in 1990s. Two clubs clashed in first all town Co Final in 1961 (3 brothers v 3 brothers).

amallon

Pats and Cooley in Louth is a verocious one.  I'm not even sure that the Mayobridge v Burren or Clonduff would be even close.  I think its a lot to do with the geogrpahy of the peninsula.  As one of the louth contributors said most neutrals go to a Pats Cooley game expecting a riot.  I'd have to admit I'm tempted to go to the Louth final on Sunday just for that reason.  I've heard Cooley people refer to Pats pitch as Ibrox!  ;D
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

North Longford

Couple more that I'm sure have been mentioned in this thread are happening over the next week or 2 also.
Gowna and Mullahoran in the Cavan semi on Sunday and Dromard and Colmcille in the Longford final the following Sunday.
Doubt if there is any bigger rivalry in either county and funny enough all four parishes are within a few miles of each other. Indeed Gowna borders both Colmcille and Dromard with Mullahoran being the next parish to Gowna.
And just for extras, Dromard and Mullahoran wear the same blue and yellow while Colmcille and Gowna wear the same green and red!

Louth Exile

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

downtown

u think keady is bad... u ever playd granemore?? gypsies!! thugs!!! every1 hates them!!

ziggysego

Nothing comes close to Strabane and Urney!
Testing Accessibility