Tailteann Cup 2023

Started by Laoiseabu, May 01, 2023, 02:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on June 04, 2023, 02:41:37 PM
We'll never get answers. In fact we're not even supposed to ask the questions. That's how we operate in Laois, and that in itself is pitiful. The lads in LT offer a great service, but they're hamstrung by everyone's inertia and their close friendships. I won't pay for the LT service because as good as it is, they might as well be talking or writing about 10 great things to do in Spink. No disrespect to Spink. First place that I could think of. It's just not worth paying for. There's not enough going on and the serious questions never get asked, particularly of those in the CB. We just need to flip the whole thing on its head. Be more transparent and run Laois games for the people of Laois and not just the chosen few. Just my opinion

Laois Today provide a great service to GAA across the county from u13 match reports right up to their podcasts

They have been barred from the monthly County Board meetings for the past 3 years not because they did anything wrong,

it's just down to a lack of transparency with the county board that they don't want the media covering any of their meetings

You'd swear they had something to hide

Joeythelips

Just one thing to mention is that the size and population of Laois is used as a reason of why we should expect to fail but looking at latest populations we can see other counties punching above their weight and I get that we are a duel county.
https://populationdata.org.uk/ireland-counties/

Joeythelips

Quote from: clonadmad on June 06, 2023, 12:00:12 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on June 06, 2023, 10:35:38 AM
There are very good GAA people in Laois, we should be able to get the best people around a table to drive through change. If Im not mistaken Niall Rigney had changes he thought should be implemented when he was in charge and nothing happened, Eddie Brennen was suggesting some changes also in his talk to Wolly, Cheddar also. How many former players are a success at business level, the likes of Seamus Dooley who run their own companies etc. Could we get the best brains involved even at some consultancy level to at least draw up a plan.

Also Nicky Brennan did a 3 year plan in 2018, what happened with that? Was it properly implemented?

Like posters on here are saying we have not suddenly found ourselves in this position, its been a steady slide downwards.

The last thing we need is another plan to be drawn up

There's at least 4 plans gathering dust in the County Board offices

Get them down and dust them off

They are even more relevant now because we are in an even bigger hole than what we were when they were drawn up 

Here's another small example in terms of organisation of where Offaly are miles ahead of us

https://offaly.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2023/02/2023-Underage-Fixtures-Pack-2.pdf

If this is the case then serious questions need to be asked of the people in charge, why have report findings not been implemented? Crazy stuff. No wonder we are in the current mess.

georgedoylesrightleg

Spiritof86

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on June 09, 2023, 08:25:59 AM
we will bate firmanagh
[/quote

Love your optimism. Will head up and support the lads but it feels different the past two years . Away games with Laois used to be always filled with hope .
In my opinion Sean O'Flynn should be in centre field with Damo Larkin .

Chrimtain

Butch Cassidy

Great win for Laois and delighted for the lads. Laois have a good record playing away in Ulster for some unknown reason. 1-2 for Timmons and 1-1 the last day, what a great player he is and has been for Laois over the years

BallyroanAbu

A question ?, has anyone seen or heard on Social Media the players being abused as far as I am aware the only people that are getting stick is the management.  I firmly believe this group under Sugrue would at least get to a tailteann cup semi.  I doubt Billy will be around much longer, but stranger things have happened.  The above question is every time Billy talks it's about players getting stick which I don't think they are.

High Fielder

They got stick after London. I was critical myself after that and I don't mind admitting it. We all appreciate the commitment of these lads, but that was a rubbish performance and they knew it themselves. They're no world beaters but you can't wrap them in cotton wool either. They don't get a pass because everything else is in rag order. As for Billy, he's diverting attention in all probability. He must have wolfed down on the Mourinho and Ferguson handbook. Billy is the least of our worries still in my opinion.

georgedoylesrightleg

dishustig interview. shame on him takin shine off de players win like dis

Tier2

Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner.
His skin must be fairly thin.

Let the player's enjoy the win instead of using it as a pulpit for his own agenda.

Butch Cassidy

He's trying to create a siege mentality for the players. Hopefully they get a nice draw and build on the win yesterday.

County Man

Fantastic result in Brewster Park yesterday evening. In what was a tense and cagey affair, our lads deserve tremendous credit for delivering a full performace for the 70/75 minutes to record a deserved victory against hot favourites Fermanagh.

We were well organised early doors and had a structured plan that kept things tight. We grew into the game and found ourselves 0-5 to 0-2 up due to fine scores finished by the man in the best position to score. The pick of the bunch was Mark Timmon's point, just quick thinking to chip the breaking ball over off the ground from about 25 yards out. Evan O'Carroll who was tightly marked all game got a fantastic score then just before half time. I didn't spot the incident that led to the Fermanagh sending off but the referee had no hesitation in issuing a red card.

Fermanagh had a purple patch early in the second halfp to go 8-6 up and you just felt that Laois needed to get the next score to break that momentum. Our goal was a brilliantly worked team goal finished sublimely by Timmo and then a sweet point from O'Carroll. The chips were down when Fermanagh goaled a minute later to go 1-8 to 1-7 up but great character was shown from there. I felt that our midfielders (Kieran Lillis and Damon Larkin) were excellent all game.

Edge of the seat stuff then but Mark Barry took the last score wonderfully in injury time to put us 1-11 to 1-9 up so they needed a goal. Heart in mouth stuff right at the end with that goalmouth scramble! Thankfully we survived!

Very encouraging result and joyous scenes at the end. Fermanagh will play division 2 football next year. Great win for us against the odds.

Quater final draw tomorrow morning around 830 and it will be an away game against either Limerick, Antrim or Meath.

Laois Abu

Toomanygaels

How did we end up with such a dislikeable manager. The supporters of Laois GAA are not giving out about the players. The genuine supporters know they are giving their best.

All the criticism is of him. He has not got the personality to be a manager, he resources to bully boy tactics whe ever he is under pressure.