West-Kerry player collapses during match

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 24, 2011, 10:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

QuoteGAA player collapses during game

By Mortimer Murphy

Monday, October 24, 2011

TALENTED Annascaul and West Kerry GAA player Brendan O'Driscoll, 28, was removed to Cork University Hospital last night after collapsing in a club game.

Shocked teammates and opponents watched as O'Driscoll collapsed while playing for his club in the West Kerry Championship against Lispole yesterday. He fell to the ground 10 minutes into the second half while the ball was at the other end of the pitch.

Annascaul were leading 1-4 to 0-4 at the time, with O'Driscoll having contributed 1-1 and referee Peter Lyons immediately stopped the game. O'Driscoll received attention from his cousin and teammate, Gene Farrell, before a doctor arrived and after about 20 minutes he was rushed to Kerry General Hospital.

A spokesman for his club said it was feared that the player may have suffered a brain haemorrhage and described his condition as serious. O'Driscoll was later transferred to Cork University Hospital as his family, friends and teammates gathered around him.

O'Driscoll is also a talented soccer player and was capped by Irish Junior International manager Gerry Smyth three years ago, having played with both Lisselton Rovers and Camp United in the Kerry District League.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gaa-player-collapses-during-game-171720.html#ixzz1bgrEbi2x

Hopefully he pulls through.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mannix

Twenty minutes? Then rushed to hospital, whatever, but best of luck to the man. Hopefully nothing longterm.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Sadly word on the Kerry forum is that Brendan O'Driscoll passed away today. Very sad if true.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Magicsponge

If that's true then it's awfully sad news. RIP

muppet

MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

Just seen on Nuacht TG4 that he is in a bad way but still alive...jaysus I hope he makes it
The Aristocrat Years

blanketattack

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: blanketattack on October 26, 2011, 10:28:43 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 24, 2011, 01:42:58 PM
Sadly word on the Kerry forum is that Brendan O'Driscoll passed away today. Very sad if true.

Disgraceful comment to post. There was no mention of him dying on the Kerry GAA forum and even if there was, you shouldn't have reposted it, as an online forum is hardly 100% reliable anyway. Very bad form, especially to do so to a fellow Kerryman who's in a critical condition.

Get bent. I was merely passing on what was reported to me.

Sadly, Brendan passed away earlier today in Cork University Hospital. Tragic to see a fella cut down at such a young age. Thoughts with his family and clubmates right now.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

spuds

Terrible news altogether

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Donnellys Hollow

QuoteWest Kerry sportsman passes away
West Kerry footballer Brendan O'Driscoll (28) lost his fight for life at Cork University Hospital on Wednesday afternoon after suffering a suspected brain haemorrhage while playing Gaelic football for Annascaul last Sunday.

A skilful left-sided player, O'Driscoll also was a noted soccer player with Camp United and Lisselton Rovers and also represented Kerry in the Oscar Traynor Cup. He won one junior international cap three years ago.

O'Driscoll collapsed 10 minutes into the second half while playing in Annascaul's West Kerry Championship game against Lispole.

He was treated at the scene before being brought to Kerry General Hospital and later to Cork University Hospital, where he passed away this afternoon.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2011/1026/1224306557629.html

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

J70

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 26, 2011, 07:44:25 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on October 26, 2011, 10:28:43 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 24, 2011, 01:42:58 PM

Disgraceful comment to post. There was no mention of him dying on the Kerry GAA forum and even if there was, you shouldn't have reposted it, as an online forum is hardly 100% reliable anyway. Very bad form, especially to do so to a fellow Kerryman who's in a critical condition.

Get bent. I was merely passing on what was reported to me.

Sadly, Brendan passed away earlier today in Cork University Hospital. Tragic to see a fella cut down at such a young age. Thoughts with his family and clubmates right now.

Sorry, but it was a fair comment. Its up to you to make sure that that kind of information you reported is accurate. Saying you were just passing on a rumour you heard is no defence. Anyone could have read that and thought he was dead at that point.

BennyCake

orangeman

This is yet another tragedy.

It's scarcely credible.

RIP.

ziggysego

Terrible news. I met him once, nice fella. RIP Brendan.
Testing Accessibility

blanketattack

RIP Brendan.
My thoughts are with his family, a proud, sporting family.