Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therealdonald

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2018, 08:34:50 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 08:08:44 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on May 04, 2018, 07:08:39 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2018, 06:30:39 PM
I think I agree with that. I don't think it should be changed simply because Cliftonville are involved. As I say though it's not an anthem for them though. It's the anthem of the association whose competition they have entered. I see little difference between this and the playing of the National Anthem at GAA games. Should it not be played if one team requests it not played?

I agree with you David. However I think what Cliftonville should do is to respect the anthem for its entirety. Then when its finished, belt out Amhran na bhFiann or The Celtic Symphony. The IFA have just made a serious misjudgement but they'd nothing else to do, either offend the catholic minority in attendance or offend the larger minority of Prods in attendance? It was a no-brainer for them

Oh God forbid that anyone would-be offended!
Fûcking welcome to each other
You're busting your hole to be offended on this very topic, to be honest.

Not at all. We just laugh at your kindergarten antics

So on one hand we are incapable of showing each other respect like some of your previous posts? Then when we try, it's not worthwhile?

I'll stand here on this tile and say what I am Avondhu, I'm a proud Tyrone Republican who can't understand why Catholics play or go to Windsor Park in the first place (personal opinion). I vote SF, because they were inextricably linked to a group that gained the Catholic population in the north a significant increase in equality, and I continue voting SF because they represent what I believe is our best chance of a United Ireland......now Avondhu let me read some of what you stand for? Instead of constant barbs, anti-North hysteria and general gombeeness that you spout.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Therealdonald on May 04, 2018, 09:08:17 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2018, 08:34:50 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 08:08:44 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on May 04, 2018, 07:08:39 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2018, 06:30:39 PM
I think I agree with that. I don't think it should be changed simply because Cliftonville are involved. As I say though it's not an anthem for them though. It's the anthem of the association whose competition they have entered. I see little difference between this and the playing of the National Anthem at GAA games. Should it not be played if one team requests it not played?

I agree with you David. However I think what Cliftonville should do is to respect the anthem for its entirety. Then when its finished, belt out Amhran na bhFiann or The Celtic Symphony. The IFA have just made a serious misjudgement but they'd nothing else to do, either offend the catholic minority in attendance or offend the larger minority of Prods in attendance? It was a no-brainer for them

Oh God forbid that anyone would-be offended!
Fûcking welcome to each other
You're busting your hole to be offended on this very topic, to be honest.

Not at all. We just laugh at your kindergarten antics

So on one hand we are incapable of showing each other respect like some of your previous posts? Then when we try, it's not worthwhile?

I'll stand here on this tile and say what I am Avondhu, I'm a proud Tyrone Republican who can't understand why Catholics play or go to Windsor Park in the first place (personal opinion). I vote SF, because they were inextricably linked to a group that gained the Catholic population in the north a significant increase in equality, and I continue voting SF because they represent what I believe is our best chance of a United Ireland......now Avondhu let me read some of what you stand for? Instead of constant barbs, anti-North hysteria and general gombeeness that you spout.

Have you some sliced pans you could be putting onyour head?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

general_lee

Did the IFA always play GSTQ before the cup final? Or what's the story?

SHEEDY

Fair play to cliftonville players and fans. Anthem completely drowned out by the fans and players standing with arms linked and heads bowed. Now go and win it.
nil satis nisi optimum

GJL

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 05, 2018, 02:37:51 PM
Fair play to cliftonville players and fans. Anthem completely drowned out by the fans and players standing with arms linked and heads bowed. Now go and win it.

Currently 2-1 down.  :(

BennyCake

Bradley took his goal well. Wasn't watching, just happened to switch it on at that moment. Honest  :P

Tonto

A certain irony in people on the GAA board complaining about an anthem being played before a sporting occasion.

Anyway, glad they were stuffed. Here's to another 39 years.

seanaglis

Remember as a kid going to the iveagh cinema in banbridge and gstq being played when the film was over. My da used to leave before the film was over so we didn't have to stand

DuffleKing

What's the background breakdown of the Coleraine team?

BennyCake

Quote from: Tonto on May 05, 2018, 09:18:31 PM
A certain irony in people on the GAA board complaining about an anthem being played before a sporting occasion.

Can you elaborate on that first bit?

JoG2

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 05, 2018, 11:18:55 PM

What's the background breakdown of the Coleraine team?

Wouldn't know many of them, but there's Magilligan, Glenullin and Sean Dolans footballers in their team

Owen Brannigan

If you play soccer under the IFA and don't like their decisions or attitudes then you either leave like Derry City or you accept the situation or you work from within to change things. It is much easier to stand outside and play the victim or shout and wave flags to no effect.

GAA plays the Irish national anthem on virtually every occasion for county games and at all finals and flies the tricolour at all grounds, does this also make it guilty of creating a cold house for non-nationalists?

Nobody wins a cultural war, it is a never ending conflict that passes down the generations and all it creates is victimhood on all sides.

Tonto

Quote from: BennyCake on May 05, 2018, 11:26:49 PM

You know well what I mean so no I won't. Read the second paragraph of Owen Brannigan's post. Respect is a two way street.

Insane Bolt

BennyCake

Quote from: Tonto on May 06, 2018, 07:25:34 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 05, 2018, 11:26:49 PM

You know well what I mean so no I won't. Read the second paragraph of Owen Brannigan's post. Respect is a two way street.

Well, if you had been following the thread regarding the anthem and flag (on the GAA section), you'll find quite a few are in favour of removing the tricolour/anthem from most/all GAA matches.