Still no place for gaelic games in NI state school sector

Started by snatter, May 15, 2008, 02:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

Depressing Stuff.

Given the enthusiasm of Limavady Grammar's head to become the first NI state school to competively play gaelic games, we can only assume that his praiseworthy efforts have been thwarted by darker forces there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7401104.stm

School's gaelic plan kicked out 

Plans to introduce gaelic games to Limavady Grammar School have been dropped after objections from teachers and parents, according to the GAA.

Chris Collins from the Derry County Board said he was to meet pupils on Wednesday, but it had been cancelled.

Mr Collins said he was "disappointed that people aren't living in the 21st century and moving forward a wee bit".

However, principal of Limavady Grammar School Sam McGuinness said he would like to see gaelic games at the school.

Assembly member John Dallat said he had met Mr McGuinness twice to discuss the provision of gaelic games at the school.

He said he was "disappointed" the issue had not been resolved, and said he has asked for another meeting.

"I hoped the matter would be dealt with and Limavady Grammar school would meet the sporting and cultural needs of all its pupils," he said.

SammyG

Quote from: snatter on May 15, 2008, 02:14:28 PMChris Collins from the Derry County Board said he was to meet pupils on Wednesday, but it had been cancelled.

Mr Collins said he was "disappointed that people aren't living in the 21st century and moving forward a wee bit".
Christ that has to be the quote of the year. The GAA asking people to move into the 21st Century.

On the general story unfortunately (for the GAA) it isn't going to happen until the GAA ditch the political shite.

Rav67

Limavady Grammar is sbout 25-30% Catholic according to a few people I know who went there, so the demand for its provision is going to be there more so than in other post-primary state schools.

Boolerhead Mel

SammyG

For Christ sake change the record. The GAA is light years ahead of the flat eathers who have again thwarted the hand of friendship offered by the GAA. It is clear the unionist community has no interest in the most watched sport in the six counties that people pay to watch (bang goes your NW200 argument).      

Uladh

Lets call a spade a spade sammy. The exclusion of gaelic games from state schools is little englander xenophobia of the worst kind.
Gaelic games are fantastic participant and spectator sports and would enhance any childs sporting experiences. Their continued exclusion betrays the fear a particular section of the community harbours of all things "irish".

Jim_Murphy_74

Political stuff has no place in the GAA and that needs to be changed.  Hands up, criticism taken.

However, those that don't want GAA sports in their schools are driven (for the most part) by the prejudices outlined on this topic.  Anyone who claims otherwise is blind or disingenuous.

/Jim.

passedit

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 15, 2008, 02:36:44 PM
Political stuff has no place in the GAA and that needs to be changed.  Hands up, criticism taken.

However, those that don't want GAA sports in their schools are driven (for the most part) by the prejudices outlined on this topic.  Anyone who claims otherwise is blind or disingenuous.

/Jim.

Sorry to dissapoint all those interested in maintaining the status quo but two weeks ago St Pauls hosted a gaelic games tournament for state schools, I won't name the schools who participated in case Sammy and his mates arrive round with the pitchforks and torches.

As an aside, i can forgive Evil Genius for calling me a liar, but i'm gonna have hunt him down like a dog for introducing disinfuckinggenuous to the vocabulary of this board.
Don't Panic

screenexile

'Political shite'? What a load of crap Sammy. What possible political connotations can there be for a few young lads playing a bit of Gaelic Football?

Unionists are scared of the popularity of the GAA when there is no need to be.

As for the notion that the GAA is not in the 21st Century well that is laughable from you considering you spend most of your time defending OWC/IFA on here when they are stuck in the dark ages in terms of support and infrastructure.

This whole issue is a disgrace... if the kids want to play LET THEM PLAY!

Mentalman

Don't even bother trying to get into it with him, we sepnt a good 30 pages on this previously. Schools football and hurling is under the auspices of Cumann na MBunscoil. In no way do you have bea member of the GAA to participate in football or hurling in school.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Evil Genius

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 15, 2008, 02:36:44 PM

/Jim.

I think that is a fair comment. From my observation, there are people within the GAA who are unbendingly attached to the political side of the organisation etc, when that should no longer have any place in a sporting organisation in this day and age (imo). Similarly, there are people within the non-GAA (effectively Unionist) community who will always distrust and dislike the GAA regardless. Each provides fuel for the other's prejudices.

However, I personally suspect that each faction is a minority within its community.

How to end this stand-off? I accept it can never be for outsiders such as myself to tell the GAA what they should or shouldn't do, including removing the politics. But by the same principle, unless or until the silent majority within the GAA decides for itself that it would be better off doing so, then the silent majority within the Unionist community, who sincerely believe that politics ought to have no place within sport, will have no effective answer to Unionist extremists who look for a stick - any stick - with which to beat the GAA.

In the end, if the GAA were to remove the politics, then I believe every Unionist should welcome the extension of Gaelic games to all schools. As it is, I have no great objection where it does happen, since anything that gets kids out running around in the fresh air has got to be a good thing. However, I could not campaign for it.

As I've said many times before, in the end the GAA must decide which it wants more: its Nationalist political ethos, or the willing support of one million non-Nationalist Irish people.

Over to you, Mr. Brennan.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

doirebhoy

am from limavady, were the school thats in question is involved, our club has been fighting for years for gaelic to be played in this school, we were told on Sunday Evening that there would be a gaa training nite on Weds nite by derry development officer Chris Colliins, called off at the last minute due to teachers opposing it, even though the princpal has stated that the training session was not supposed to happen!!!
biggots

toiletroller

Its ridiculous. Nothing short of biggotry in its purest form. Ive family at the school and my wee cousin is playing rugby. Thinks its a great opportunity for him (did Drumsurn and Ulsters Niall O'Connor not come through the Grammar). There should therefore be the opportunity for those who wish to play gaelic, regarless of colour or creed. Chances are there could be some great finds. Potential rugger buggers being good at the oul GA! A school like Limavady Grammar should be looking to set a good example. ???

Uladh

EG - list me the political issues attached to the GAA as you perceive them and we'll see where we can go.

I do not want to cloud the naked bigotry perpetuated by the educators amongst the unionist community in entering into this discussion.

I am disgusted by this attitude and astonished that unionist leaders are prepared to accept these actions in their name

Evil Genius

Quote from: Uladh on May 15, 2008, 03:38:04 PM

EG - list me the political issues attached to the GAA as you perceive them and we'll see where we can go.

Uladh,
I genuinely don't wish to see this thread dragged way off topic to the usual "Yah Boo Sucks" level. I have previously listed at length (ad nauseum?  :D) my views on the political ethos of the GAA, so if you can bear to do a search under my name(!), you'll find plenty. Off the top of my head, you could save time by searching the thread I started entitled  "After the Darren Graham Affair is Settled", or there was a thread started last year (can't remember exact title) following Nicky Brennan's article in the C of I Gazette, where he had wondered whether the GAA shouldn't be setting up "Protestant GAA Clubs".
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

tyrone exile

I dont see why the GAA even bother?
why should they bend over backwards just to let bigots play?
I have no problems with any other religions playing the sport, but why should they be made change the way things are?
i also read recently that unionists called for the national anthem to stop being played at GAA games?
are they having a laugh?