The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 13, 2021, 05:36:59 PM
Italy bring a lot to the 6 Nations. A lot of points to the team who are playing them.

They bring a cracking long weekend. It's a must for any rugby fan. Two or three nights in Rome with great food and drink. I don't want them leaving the 6N any time soon.

dublin7

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 13, 2021, 07:23:03 PM
Wales are perennial spawny bastards

I still don't think they're a good side. Another red card for their opponents for the opposition (when scotland had a penalty for a shot on goal) was a big turning point

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on February 13, 2021, 07:25:40 PM
Italy bring a lot to the 6 Nations. A lot of points to the team who are playing them.

They bring a cracking long weekend. It's a must for any rugby fan. Two or three nights in Rome with great food and drink. I don't want them leaving the 6N any time soon.

On my list. Was looking to do it soon but Covid had different ideas!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rich Ricci

Is any contact with the head just automatically a red now? As a very casual rugby fan, when a red was given I thought it was really harsh but most of the commentators didn't seem to think it was too far off the correct decision.

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2021, 07:31:17 PM

I had flights/hotels booked for Rome and Edinburgh this year.  :'( Never been to Rome, but Edinburgh is always a great trip.

Nanderson

Quote from: Rich Ricci on February 13, 2021, 07:33:58 PM
Is any contact with the head just automatically a red now? As a very casual rugby fan, when a red was given I thought it was really harsh but most of the commentators didn't seem to think it was too far off the correct decision.
Its a red unless there is 'mitigating factors' like a player maybe ducking into the contact or if it looks like the offender has made a genuine attempt to play the ball

marty34

Quote from: Nanderson on February 13, 2021, 07:38:18 PM
Its a red unless there is 'mitigating factors' like a player maybe ducking into the contact or if it looks like the offender has made a genuine attempt to play the ball

I suppose, after last week, it was always going to be a red.

dublin7

World rugby focusing on player safety so there is pretty much zero tolerance for any hit to the head.

The only thing that might have saved either player the last few weeks is if the player they hit was tackled/moved by someone else into the players path as they went in for the tackle and that caused the hit to the head.

That didn't apply to POM last week and didn't happen today either

Tony Baloney

If the tackler goes in with one arm down by their side they make it easy for the ref to stick his hand in his pocket. I think Fagerson was genuinely going in for a clean out and it certainly looked more genuine than POM's which looked awful, but poor technique has put his team in the shit.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: dublin7 on February 13, 2021, 07:36:44 PM

I had flights/hotels booked for Rome and Edinburgh this year.  :'( Never been to Rome, but Edinburgh is always a great trip.

MR2 it is a must. D7 you were taking advantage of the best of the 6nations away days.  That's why this set of fixtures is always my favourite...forget about the championship being supposedly easier, it's the away days. Edinburgh, Rome and Cardiff are musts. Paris is good also, but London is always poor enough imo.

dublin7

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on February 13, 2021, 08:45:38 PM

MR2 it is a must. D7 you were taking advantage of the best of the 6nations away days.  That's why this set of fixtures is always my favourite...forget about the championship being supposedly easier, it's the away days. Edinburgh, Rome and Cardiff are musts. Paris is good also, but London is always poor enough imo.

+1 I was Twickenham for the grand slam, but I don't like Twickenham. It's a fair trek from the centre of London and I'm not a fan of London.

We've an office in Edinburgh so drinking on match day for this years trip was going on the company card as client entertainment!!

Been there so often I avoid the tourist traps in grassmarket and spend the weekend drinking with the locals. Some great bars/whiskey rooms in Edinburgh and it's a city that should be visited by everyone when we get back to some sort of normality.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: dublin7 on February 13, 2021, 09:13:40 PM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on February 13, 2021, 08:45:38 PM

+1 I was Twickenham for the grand slam, but I don't like Twickenham. It's a fair trek from the centre of London and I'm not a fan of London.

We've an office in Edinburgh so drinking on match day for this years trip was going on the company card as client entertainment!!

Been there so often I avoid the tourist traps in grassmarket and spend the weekend drinking with the locals. Some great bars/whiskey rooms in Edinburgh and it's a city that should be visited by everyone when we get back to some sort of normality.
We have a workplace just outside Edinburgh so at one stage I was over about once a month and I would agree that it is a super spot. Serious amount of places for a small city.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/0213/1196942-john-cooney-and-harry-byrne-called-up-to-ireland-squad/

Half-backs John Cooney and Harry Byrne have linked up with the Ireland squad ahead of Sunday's game against France to provide cover after Conor Murray and Johnny Sexton were ruled out with injuries.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

Has any rugby analyst over the past 10 years ever once raised an eyebrow at Earls' continued inclusion in Ireland teams?

He has now over a decade of 6N action under his belt, and it's almost a long since he did anything of consequence in an Ireland jersey. His try scoring record can be quickly identified as many tries against third tier countries, some tries against second tier countries, next to no tries against top tier countries. And all the while, defensively suspect.

Why has he enjoyed such an easy ride in his career?

lenny

Quote from: thewobbler on February 14, 2021, 12:46:02 PM
Has any rugby analyst over the past 10 years ever once raised an eyebrow at Earls' continued inclusion in Ireland teams?

He has now over a decade of 6N action under his belt, and it's almost a long since he did anything of consequence in an Ireland jersey. His try scoring record can be quickly identified as many tries against third tier countries, some tries against second tier countries, next to no tries against top tier countries. And all the while, defensively suspect.

Why he he enjoyed such an easy ride in his career?

Totally agree, he just never looks like he's a threat against anybody decent. His kicking is really poor also.